Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

Biggest tire on Crosstrek?

168K views 129 replies 50 participants last post by  dirtyimprezawrx 
#1 ·
Does anyone know the biggest tire you can stick on a Crosstrek before it rubs? I went and checked some out at the Suby dealer and it seems like the tires on there are a little underwhelming...

thanks

#27 ·
Ikon said:
Bigger tires mean less miles per gallon. Unless one plans to do a lot of four wheeling, the bigger tires may be a hindrance
Oh, they definitely are. Even a more aggresive tread pattern is going to create a lot more over the road noise. But for offroad going they'll make a big difference.

I would love to try a set of the AT-S's but for six or seven bills I'll run what I've got. :D

It also looks like a special spec'd tire for the 'trek. I haven't seen the G95 pattern before. Tire Rack does sell the exact oem replacement tire - seems to me they're about $156 ea. It's a good combo tire for the car for mostly road going.

#28 ·
When it comes to tires, this is how I see it:

off-road tires can go on and off-road, but some on-road tires can't go off-road

Also, my adventurous-spirit is to blame for my desire to go off-road.

I'm one of those people willing to take the hit on fuel-efficiency for better capability, so others might not like the sacrifice in fuel efficiency.

#29 ·
Subir_roo said:
It's a TKO knock off! But not a bad option. The wheels specs on the XV are 17x7 et48 and 5x100 bolt pattern with a 56.1mm hub bore. There are a LOT of older Subaru 16in wheels that will fit these cars.
I'm using '04 WRX wheels (16x6.5 et 52) for winter tires on our Outback. They fit perfectly on both the OB and my XV. They are a bit too narrow for my tastes though so I'm looking for a 16 x 7 or 7.5 for my car for next winter.

#30 ·
AWDfreak said:

But see. . . An A/T tire is NOT going to stop as fast and will have a tendancy to hydroplane in standing water. The A/T tire is good for basic trails, but will clog right up with mud if you try to use it. They also make half ass at best snow tires.

#31 ·
Crunchtrek said:
AWDfreak said:

But see. . . An A/T tire is NOT going to stop as fast and will have a tendancy to hydroplane in standing water. The A/T tire is good for basic trails, but will clog right up with mud if you try to use it. They also make half ass at best snow tires.
I understand tires trying to do too many thing make for a very compromise-heavy tire.

But now that I really think about it, perhaps the stock tires really are the ideal tires... I'll get a second car to do my off-roading though still nice to know the XV is pretty capable for what it is.

#32 ·
Most A/T's are not GREAT in all aspects of performance... agreed. I have a Jeep and don't like M/T's for all around used, so I run AT's.

When it came time to buy my tires... I look long and hard for a good all around tire at a good price. My first choice was BFG's... but the cost was crazy at $252 a tires. ( 33x12.50x15)

I was turned to look at the Goodyear Duratrac. Long story short..... I have Duratrac's and absolutely LOVE THEM!!!! Best agressive AT I have ridden on... great on snow and ice... awesome in the mud and do NOT clog up at all... self-cleaning for the most part as well.

BEST THING.... QUIETER THAN THE BFG's ON PAVEMENT!

Now... they are a bit agressive looking for an AT... and not sure if they even make the size required for the XV, but if you are going to use your XV offroad.... I would look into the Duratrac's. I use them well... and I have never let me down....

#33 ·
I recently saw a parked XV with Toyo Open Country AT in 235/60r17 and it looked really good, seemed a little tight towards the front end of the wheel well, but looked like it still had an inch or inch 1/2 clearance. Unfortunately and regretfully I didn't take a picture of it. I'm thinking of buying a set myself

#34 ·
tahoetrek said:
I recently saw a parked XV with Toyo Open Country AT in 235/60r17 and it looked really good, seemed a little tight towards the front end of the wheel well, but looked like it still had an inch or inch 1/2 clearance. Unfortunately and regretfully I didn't take a picture of it. I'm thinking of buying a set myself
I would have liked to have seen that, and quiz the owner about ride. The biggest issue I see is that tire is a truck tire and it's about 7 or 8 pounds heavier than the tires that come on the car. At a minimum it's going to ride a LOT worse and will produce a LOT more road noise. Not to mention clearance issues on full suspension travel and turning.

Toyo also makes a Versado CUV for crossovers with some closer sizes and load ratings: http://www.toyotires.com

Would be fun to mount up a few and fit them on the car, see how they look and clear. I personally like the brand, and it's sister - Nitto.

#35 ·
tahoetrek said:
Ah, too bad about no picture, I really would have liked to see that. My friend had a Wrangler with oversized tires in high school with what sounds like about the same clearance as you're describing. It rode fine for the most part but in sharp turns and heavy bumps you could feel it rub. Not worth it IMO.

#36 ·
Xtrekr said:
I was turned to look at the Goodyear Duratrac. Long story short..... I have Duratrac's and absolutely LOVE THEM!!!! Best agressive AT I have ridden on... great on snow and ice... awesome in the mud and do NOT clog up at all... self-cleaning for the most part as well.

Now... they are a bit agressive looking for an AT... and not sure if they even make the size required for the XV, but if you are going to use your XV offroad.... I would look into the Duratrac's. I use them well... and I have never let me down....
Your tires are baaaaarreelly ATs. lol These are more likely to be what we's have to use on the XV. I doubt you could get a 15 inch wheel over the brakes. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...h those that the stock tires. Price is right.

#39 ·
Crunchtrek said:
So you're saying that I finally missed something after all these years? lol I'd like to have a set to swap on for adventure time, but think I'd prefer street tires most of the time for this car.

^^ +1

I think aggressive tires would be cool at first, and awesome off pavement, but a biatch to live with day to day in town. I'm keeping the G95's.

#40 ·
Crunchtrek said:
Xtrekr said:

Your tires are baaaaarreelly ATs. lol These are more likely to be what we's have to use on the XV. I doubt you could get a 15 inch wheel over the brakes.

I'd feel much more comfortable on sharp rocks and in ruts with those that the stock tires. Price is right.

LOL!!! I know.... they are up there on the top for aggressive AT's... Bridgstone Duelers are not bad...

Falken Wild Peaks are also a great choice

#41 ·
Wanting to know if anyone has actually mounted 15" or 16" wheels with an aggressive AT tire like the BFG A/T KO in a larger diameter than OE stock. I posted an interest in this 6 months ago in another forum with basicly no response. I haven't got my XV yet but I'm pretty serious. I checked with the dealer here's Service Manager and he told me there is no way to recal the speedo. I don't believe him, I'll find a way If I get my XV. Seems there is very little hard core tech for the XVs. I don't know if it's because they are so new or because the people buying them are happy with a stock car.

I want an XV to replace my '99 Jeep Cherokee with a 4" lift that has been a superb DD for over 13 years. I expect a trade off in the dirt, MPG for off road prowess. My son had a Suzuki Samari and it was fantastic off road, very durable, a bit cramped interior wise and delivered good fuel economy. Maybe I'm hoping the XV can be a merge of the Jeep and Suzuki. Off road prowess with good highway manners delivering acceptable MPG.

#42 ·
Well I've been waiting and waiting, for someone else to do it, and although I saw one up close, I should have probably paid a bit more attention. I'll need to draw final measurements, and if it looks good, then I'm ordering a set of
235 60r 17 Toyo Open Country

I talked with a few tire shops and just judging from their online calculations, they said there should be no rubbing.
I've looked around, but it looks like 60r is the smallest size available for an AT tire.

Anywho, give me a couple weeks!

#43 ·
I have confirmed that you can mount a 15in wheel, just has to be a high brake clearance wheel like a Team Dynamics or Braid rally wheel. Anything that will fit a WRX will clear the brakes on this car and there are plenty of 16in wheels out there that will fit on a WRX.

#45 ·
Rmaligie said:
Tahoe trek.

I can't wait to see photos if it works I am getting a pair! !

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
Man, I feel like it's going to be dangerously close. I haven't done exact measurements yet; however, I turned the steering wheel in place so that it was set at the closest point between the tire and the front well, and I can narrowly fit my hand through there. I'm guessing maybe an 1" clearance at that point and the difference in tire is anywhere from .75 - .85 of an inch I think, I can't find the exact sidewall height measurement for the Toyos

I'll keep probing, I want this to work!

#47 ·
FWIW I have 215 70R 16s with a 6 1/6 wide rim from a '13 Outback. I don't think I could go much bigger as I'm very close to the plastic lip at the front of the rear fender wells. These tires measure about an inch taller that OE size.

I plan to sell my OE wheels and tires and removed them with 403 miles. These Outback wheels and tires were given to me by a friend that went the custom route which I plan ultimately to do.

Attachments

#48 ·
Thanks fellers, I'm holding off for now, I just don't see it working. The front still concerns me, but the now the back concerns me even more, the gap between the tire and the frontside of the back wheel well is very very narrow, so I just don't see it working. I mean what happens if a rock or debris gets sucked up in there, I'm afraid it might just blow out the tire or worse damage something else.

#49 ·
You can disregard my post above, because I'm going for it!

I ordered the Yokohama Geolandar All Terrain 225/60r/17 from a local tire shop. Not in stock, so it should arrive by the end of the week or early next week.

I made the shop mount on a tire in size identical to the one I ordered; however not an All Terrain. It cleared both front and rear, but baaarrely. Now we did the steering test to see if the tire would hit inside in the front wheel well, and we all concluded that it cleared, but it must have been extremely narrow. I've been swaying back and forth with my indecision to do this for the past few months now, so I figured what the hell, just go for it. I hope this will help, and I'll report back once the tires are installed......with pictures of course. ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.