Anyone have experience with aggressive street brake pads? - Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums
Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums

Old 03-09-2015, 03:15 AM   #1
Site Team

My Vehicle: 2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek 5MT
Default Anyone have experience with aggressive street brake pads?

Yesterday, I managed to glaze my Hawk Performance HPS brake pads on a very spirited mountain drive. They were smoking by the time I had finished my mountain drive.

I'm now interested in running a more aggressive brake pad that will take on the kinds of temperatures expected on a very spirited downhill mountain drive without excessive pad fade.

Two candidates I'm interested in are the following:

EBC Brakes
Yellow Stuff front
DP41884R
Yellow Stuff rear
DP41584R

Hawk Performance

HP Plus front
HB711N.661
HP Plus rear
HB557N.545

What I'm looking for, in descending order of importance (top is most important, bottom is least important). The top three are the biggest key points I'm considering.
* Made in the USA, UK, or Japan
* reasonably-safe cold bite characteristics for panic stop situations (able to stop shortly, quickly, and safely in the early morning mild cool temperatures of California)
* higher temperature resistance than stock brake pads and mild street brake pads such as Hawk Performance HPS, Stoptech Street Performance, etc.
* moderate to low noise, if possible
* DO NOT CARE ABOUT DUSTING

bottom line,
tl;dr

Does anyone have any experiences with Hawk Performance HP Plus brake pads and/or EBC Brakes Yellow Stuff brake pads, compared to the stock brake pads or mild street brake pads?

I'm curious just how much extra noise I should expect with a compound designed to take higher temperatures, in addition to the cold bite characteristics for reasonably-safe panic stops.

AWDfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2015, 06:05 AM   #2

My Vehicle: XV Crosstrek CVT Limited w/ Nav+Moonroof
Default Re: Anyone have experience with aggressive street brake pads?

I haven't used either of these on a vehicle, but EBC's brake pads for ATVs are junk. They lasted about a month on my ATV before I had metal on metal.

Turkeytoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 01:32 AM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkeytoe
I haven't used either of these on a vehicle, but EBC's brake pads for ATVs are junk. They lasted about a month on my ATV before I had metal on metal.
What compound were you running that wore out quickly? Red Stuff???
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2015, 02:32 AM   #4

My Vehicle: XV Crosstrek CVT Limited w/ Nav+Moonroof

It was the regular sintered metal pads, which are rated has "highest" lifetime.

Turkeytoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 09:18 AM   #5

My Vehicle: 2014 XV Premium Venetian Red CVT

You might also look at Performance Friction brand pads. They are severe duty used by tow trucks, HD vehicles, etc. Not sure if they have the XV version out yet. Your local O'Reillys or AutoZone should be able to order them. They carry a lifetime guarantee through either retailer.

Just spoke to PFC Corporate, they are evaluating Impreza, XV, and WRX applications. So nothing yet, but since all Impreza-based vehicles (non brembo) use the same pad numbers odds may be in our favor.
Old 03-10-2015, 09:40 PM   #6

My Vehicle: Subaru Crosstrek 2013 Orange, Toyota Tacoma 2005

I've followed many cars going down hill with their rotors and brakes just a smoking. You could actually see the rotors glowing as they would make a curve. Not only the pads, but also all the rubber parts burning like cv boots, brake hose, caliper piston cover and seals ,and warp rotors! This is a good article to read about mountain driving. http://travel.thefuntimesguide.com/2...illdriving.php
billybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 11:23 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taste4it
You might also look at Performance Friction brand pads. They are severe duty used by tow trucks, HD vehicles, etc. Not sure if they have the XV version out yet. Your local O'Reillys or AutoZone should be able to order them. They carry a lifetime guarantee through either retailer.

Just spoke to PFC Corporate, they are evaluating Impreza, XV, and WRX applications. So nothing yet, but since all Impreza-based vehicles (non brembo) use the same pad numbers odds may be in our favor.
Hmmmm, please do post any updates, that would be a great option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybob
I've followed many cars going down hill with their rotors and brakes just a smoking. You could actually see the rotors glowing as they would make a curve. Not only the pads, but also all the rubber parts burning like cv boots, brake hose, caliper piston cover and seals ,and warp rotors! This is a good article to read about mountain driving. http://travel.thefuntimesguide.com/2...illdriving.php
Although I appreciate you showing me that there are other ways to go downhill in a vehicle, I am well aware of the benefits of engine braking and use them on a regular basis. I do have the 5-speed manual, after all, and often utilize full engine braking on downhill grades.

However, the issue here isn't necessarily my driving style, because I was driving FAST, and I adore driving fast in the mountains. I'm not like those Prii drivers who ride their brakes downhill and never downshift.

I'm driving fast on a mountain road for fun, not to get from point A to point B like the way most people overheat their brakes.
Old 03-11-2015, 12:27 AM   #8

My Vehicle: 2014 Crosstrek

I'm not so sure that brake pads are going to help you. If you're using your Crosstrek like a WRX STI, you're probably going to need to invest in a full upgrade, with all the headaches, expenses and possibly void warranty that entails. For not much more money, you could probably pick up a first-gen Miata and have a grand ol' time.

I just borrow the wife's E92 330i sport when I want to Steve McQueen it in the hills.
ComradeKoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 04:11 AM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComradeKoala
I'm not so sure that brake pads are going to help you. If you're using your Crosstrek like a WRX STI, you're probably going to need to invest in a full upgrade, with all the headaches, expenses and possibly void warranty that entails. For not much more money, you could probably pick up a first-gen Miata and have a grand ol' time.

I just borrow the wife's E92 330i sport when I want to Steve McQueen it in the hills.
I'm already at 31000 miles. By the time I graduate from school (which is the main reason I got my XV), my extended warranty will be long gone.

As for a full brake upgrade, I already have stainless steel brake lines, high temperature brake fluid, but the mild street performance brake pads are the weakest link. No other issues other than the pads failing on my drive since my brake lines and fluid can take the abuse.

I usually use my 2000 Outback for my fun car, but it's currently not safe to use because of a missing battery tie down. So I went out to the moutains in the XV instead. However, I would like both my Subaru's to have great, upgraded brake systems (bare minimum, better pads and better fluid).
Old 03-11-2015, 01:26 PM   #10

My Vehicle: '14 Crosstrek

i had good success with EBC in my 04 WRX.

What size brake pads does the crosstrek use? same as Subaru XYZ? ......
Rally of the Valley is offline   Reply With Quote