Brake and Rotors Upgrade Options??? - Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums
Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums

Go Back   Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums > The Crosstrek Garage > Brakes and Suspension

Old 05-10-2016, 10:08 PM   #1

Default Brake and Rotors Upgrade Options???

Dear lawd, why is it so hard to find a good upgrade kit online?!

All I'm looking for are some decent replacements to the spongy shiet stock rotors and brake pads...

Non-drilled or slotted because lets face it... how fast are we really going in our Crosstreks right? but good enough to stop it fully loaded on a road trip with camping gear and occasional kayak...

Anyone have a good setup you want to share::

Vehicle: 2013 Crosstrek Limited

jca8327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2016, 02:30 AM   #2

My Vehicle: 2014 XV Crosstrek Premium Black

Always liked the Centric rotors and pads I bought for my WRX on Amazon. Not sure you'll get much difference in brake feel without upgrading the calipers and lines. Maybe a WRX swap?
Old 05-11-2016, 06:50 AM   #3
Site Team

My Vehicle: 2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek 5MT

Contrary to popular belief, drilled rotors don't improve performance. With today's advanced brake lining compounds, drilled rotors are primarily a cosmetic feature. Their original intended use was to vent out gases that were expelled during hard use. Almost all race cars now exclusively use blank (solid) or slotted rotors. Don't bother with drilled rotors unless you care more about how your car looks than you do stopping.

Brake pads, although do contribute to pedal feel, aren't the biggest contributing factors to a stiff pedal feel. Don't cheap out on brake pads. OEM are actually good pads, believe it or not. But if you drive hard, you gotta pay to play (think $150+ per axle set)

Sounds like you need to try out the master cylinder brace mod and stainless steel braided brake hose. Try those two modifications before you waste any money on brake pads you don't need.

And you clearly aren't aware that Crosstrek drivers like me actually exist...

I've gotten my brakes plenty hot on spirited drives. No, I don't ride the brakes, I actually drive hard on downhill mountain passes. I use full engine braking in combination with good use of the service brakes.

http://i.imgur.com/RVFrvPk.jpg

Just because these cars aren't WRX's, doesn't mean there aren't drivers that don't treat them like one... If you drive as hard as me, you MUST get pads that are capable of handling +1000 degree Fahrenheit temperatures. It is simply not safe to attempt any hard driving with premium service aftermarket or OEM grade pads, light track pads must be used at the very minimum. Full race/track pads may be used, but some (no, MANY) may and will be unsafe at colder brake temperatures.

So if you do intend to drive hard, high temperature brake fluid and high temperature brake pads must be run. DOT 3 brake fluid and brake pads only capable of up to 600-700 degrees Fahrenheit before overheating/glazing are unacceptable.

So if you truly do wish to upgrade...
  • High temperature brake fluid (DOT 4 or 5.1; do NOT use DOT 5)
  • High temperature brake pads (1200 degrees Fahrenheit and higher recommended, avoid using pads with excessive minimum operating temperature)
  • Robust, high-quality brake rotors (DBA [Disc Brakes Australia] rotors are the only ones who make high performance rotors for our vehicles), stock OEM may suffice for milder drivers, aftermarket replacements not recommended (virtually all aftermarket replacement rotors are made in People's Republic of China, excluding some performance rotors).
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2016, 01:15 PM   #4

My Vehicle: 2014 XV Crosstrek Premium Black

AWDfreak is that a pic of you rotor glowing red? CRIPES... but all great points.

Good to know there is a company making quality XV rotors. I doubt you'd see XV support from Baer, Wilwood, Brembo, etc.

To add to your DOT fluid suggestion, change early and often. I think brake fluid might be the most neglected automotive maintenance in the world. I invested in the Motive Power Bleeder. Makes bleeding/changing fluid a breeze.
Old 05-11-2016, 10:08 PM   #5

My Vehicle: 2016 Crosstrek Limited

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWDfreak View Post
Contrary to popular belief, drilled rotors don't improve performance. With today's advanced brake lining compounds, drilled rotors are primarily a cosmetic feature. Their original intended use was to vent out gases that were expelled during hard use. Almost all race cars now exclusively use blank (solid) or slotted rotors. Don't bother with drilled rotors unless you care more about how your car looks than you do stopping.

Brake pads, although do contribute to pedal feel, aren't the biggest contributing factors to a stiff pedal feel. Don't cheap out on brake pads. OEM are actually good pads, believe it or not. But if you drive hard, you gotta pay to play (think $150+ per axle set)

Sounds like you need to try out the master cylinder brace mod and stainless steel braided brake hose. Try those two modifications before you waste any money on brake pads you don't need.

And you clearly aren't aware that Crosstrek drivers like me actually exist...

I've gotten my brakes plenty hot on spirited drives. No, I don't ride the brakes, I actually drive hard on downhill mountain passes. I use full engine braking in combination with good use of the service brakes.

http://i.imgur.com/RVFrvPk.jpg

Just because these cars aren't WRX's, doesn't mean there aren't drivers that don't treat them like one... If you drive as hard as me, you MUST get pads that are capable of handling +1000 degree Fahrenheit temperatures. It is simply not safe to attempt any hard driving with premium service aftermarket or OEM grade pads, light track pads must be used at the very minimum. Full race/track pads may be used, but some (no, MANY) may and will be unsafe at colder brake temperatures.

So if you do intend to drive hard, high temperature brake fluid and high temperature brake pads must be run. DOT 3 brake fluid and brake pads only capable of up to 600-700 degrees Fahrenheit before overheating/glazing are unacceptable.

So if you truly do wish to upgrade...
  • High temperature brake fluid (DOT 4 or 5.1; do NOT use DOT 5)
  • High temperature brake pads (1200 degrees Fahrenheit and higher recommended, avoid using pads with excessive minimum operating temperature)
  • Robust, high-quality brake rotors (DBA [Disc Brakes Australia] rotors are the only ones who make high performance rotors for our vehicles), stock OEM may suffice for milder drivers, aftermarket replacements not recommended (virtually all aftermarket replacement rotors are made in People's Republic of China, excluding some performance rotors).
AWDfreak, DBA doesn't have rotors for the Crosstrek. At least that's what KNS Brakes told me.
fhartell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 03:23 PM   #6
Site Team

Yes, those are indeed my brake rotors on my Subaru.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhartell View Post
AWDfreak, DBA doesn't have rotors for the Crosstrek. At least that's what KNS Brakes told me.
Before you conclude that, I would contact Disc Brakes Australia USA and check the following part numbers for XV Crosstrek compatibility

P/N 4650S front, 42663S-10 rear

The above part numbers should be brand new on the DBA catalog.
Old 05-12-2016, 03:46 PM   #7

Quote:
Yes, those are indeed my brake rotors on my Subaru.

Before you conclude that, I would contact Disc Brakes Australia USA and check the following part numbers for XV Crosstrek compatibility

P/N 4650S front, 42663S-10 rear

The above part numbers should be brand new on the DBA catalog.
Was told that they don't fit for the rear's by KNS.
Old 05-12-2016, 07:05 PM   #8
Site Team

Just got off the phone, someone from DBA USA confirmed that the front 4650S and rear 42663-10 are designed to fit GP chassis XV Crosstrek models.

And it turns out blank (non-slotted, not drilled) rotors are special order items for DBA USA.
Old 05-12-2016, 09:01 PM   #9

Quote:
Just got off the phone, someone from DBA USA confirmed that the front 4650S and rear 42663-10 are designed to fit GP chassis XV Crosstrek models.

And it turns out blank (non-slotted, not drilled) rotors are special order items for DBA USA.
Great, I was just telling what I was told from KNS Brakes. He said they test fit them and they didn't fit. Give them a call? Maybe I miss understood him. If they do fit I'll be getting them on my pad change!!!
Old 05-13-2016, 06:23 PM   #10

Quote:

AWDfreak, got this email from KNS Brakes:
It's wrong because it does not fit your car.* DBA listed it incorrectly.
You are welcome to order it if you think it is correct but I won't accept a return when you attempt to install it and it does not fit.
-Ken
On Fri, May 13, 2016 at 2:06 PM, Frederic Hartell <[email protected]> wrote:
What makes you say that it's a incorrect listing? Fred*
-------- Original message --------

Date: 5/13/16 1:56 PM (GMT-05:00)
To: Frederic Hartell <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: KNSBrakes.com Inquiry From Fred Hartell

Correct

650 and 4650 are the correct front rotors.

2663 and 42663 are listed for the rear but that is an incorrect listing.

Centric makes your rear rotor but it would have to be ordered as it's a newer and slow moving number.

-Ken
On Fri, May 13, 2016 at 1:50 PM, Frederic Hartell <[email protected]> wrote:

DBA is saying in the catalog for the street series T-Slot T2 650S for the front and 2663S-10 for the rear's. The 4000 Series T-Slot T3 4650S for the front and 42663S-10 for the rear's. Fred*
Date: 5/13/16 1:41 PM (GMT-05:00)
To: Frederic Hartell <[email protected]>

I see that 42663 p/n. That's the BRZ and newer Legacy vented rear rotor which is incorrect.

You have the non-vented rear rotor shared w/ newer Impreza's.
On Fri, May 13, 2016 at 1:39 PM, Kenneth Kozlowski <[email protected]> wrote:

It might be new/we have not updated yet.

Checking further now.

On Fri, May 13, 2016 at 1:38 PM, Frederic Hartell <[email protected]> wrote:

Ken, how come DBA shows rear's in their catalog? Fred*
Date: 5/13/16 1:36 PM (GMT-05:00)
To: [email protected]

Fred

I show front rotors for that car since they are shared with older WRX applications but the rear is different and not make by DBA.

Are you interested in just fronts?

Ken

On Fri, May 13, 2016 at 1:13 PM, <[email protected]> wrote:

* * * * * * * * * * * * Logged IP Address: 69.113.136.158

* * * * * * * * * * * * Name: Fred Hartell
* * * * * * * * * * * * Email Address: [email protected]
* * * * * * * * * * * * Vehicle: 2016 Subaru Crosstrek Limited

* * * * * * * * * * * * Comments: Is there any DBA rotors for the 2016 Subaru Crosstrek?