SS Brake Lines - Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums
Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums

Old 03-11-2016, 08:54 PM   #1

My Vehicle: 2016 Crosstrek Limited
Default SS Brake Lines

Are there any SS Brake Lines made just for the Crosstrek? If not what are those that switched to SS using? Are they the same length? Longer? Thanks

fhartell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2016, 10:54 PM   #2
Site Team

IIRC, they are from the 2008-2014 WRX.

950.47006 Front
950.47507 Rear

You can order them from rallysportdirect for about $90 for front and rear. ($45/ea.)

And I believe they end up being slightly shorter. Which is why I've opted to have them made for me when I lift.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RallyeBourne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 11:07 PM   #3
Site Team

My Vehicle: 2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek 5MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by RallyeBourne View Post
IIRC, they are from the 2008-2014 WRX.

950.47006 Front
950.47507 Rear

You can order them from rallysportdirect for about $90 for front and rear. ($45/ea.)

And I believe they end up being slightly shorter. Which is why I've opted to have them made for me when I lift.

That's actually why my next brake fluid change, I will find a shop to make me some custom stainless steel brake hose in the proper length. It hasn't been a problem for me to have the shorter brake hoses, but I would imagine it would be a real problem with a lift kit.
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2016, 03:06 PM   #4

My Vehicle: 2014 XV Crosstrek Premium Black

I'm not 100% convinced that SS line are much of an upgrade. Sure, maybe 8 years down the road your lines won't be corroded but when I did SS lines on my WRX I didn't notice any difference over stock brake feel. And the stock lines were 9 years old at the time.

I think the master cylinder brace is probably more functional but I'm not sure Grimspeed makes one for the XV.

I'd put the $90 into a good, quality set of pads, maybe rotors and some caliper paint. Now, if you're lifting the car and you need custom lines regardless, SS would be the upgrade to make. Just a thought.
Old 03-14-2016, 03:14 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schonuff View Post
I'm not 100% convinced that SS line are much of an upgrade. Sure, maybe 8 years down the road your lines won't be corroded but when I did SS lines on my WRX I didn't notice any difference over stock brake feel. And the stock lines were 9 years old at the time.

I think the master cylinder brace is probably more functional but I'm not sure Grimspeed makes one for the XV.

I'd put the $90 into a good, quality set of pads, maybe rotors and some caliper paint. Now, if you're lifting the car and you need custom lines regardless, SS would be the upgrade to make. Just a thought.

Stainless Steel Braided lines flex (bulge) less than rubber lines under HARD braking. True, under normal day to day driving, you won't notice any difference. But panic situations will tell otherwise.

But yes, the biggest reason I'm going SS lines is because I'm lifting and I'm going to need the extra length.

The Cusco master cylinder brace for the WRX fits the XV. I can find the part number for you if you want, I just don't remember off the top of my head. But it DOES fit, I have it.

Now, caliper paint really won't do much other than aesthetics.

Old 03-14-2016, 05:02 PM   #6

Have you installed the brace? Does it seem to help?
Old 03-14-2016, 05:15 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Have you installed the brace? Does it seem to help?

Initially, not really. But once you adjust it, it does make a difference. It actually took some getting used to. My fiancÚ was in the passenger seat doing her makeup when I first installed and adjusted it. I came to the first stop light and she ended up with mascara all on her forehead. Lol.

Old 03-15-2016, 12:07 AM   #8
Site Team

Believe it or not, all the master cylinder braces that work on the VA chassis WRX and WRX STI (2015, 2016, etc) perfectly fit other Subaru compact car platforms such as the Impreza, Forester, and most definitely the XV Crosstrek.

The Cusco master cylinder brace I bought was specified for the 2015 WRX and WRX STI (VA chassis). It fit my GP chassis XV Crosstrek perfectly.
Old 03-15-2016, 02:40 PM   #9

Subaru doesn't change the formula very much year over year.

I have the Grimmspeed brace for my 03 WRX that I never installed. Its new in the box. I wonder if it could be made to fit.

Should be interesting once everything is on the new modular platform... I'd bet a lot of the next gen WRX/STi bits would bolt right up to the next gen XV.

When I first drove the XV it was amazing that all the interior interfaces fell exactly in the same places as my old WRX. It was very clear that I was driving an Impreza.
Old 03-15-2016, 08:31 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Subaru doesn't change the formula very much year over year.

I have the Grimmspeed brace for my 03 WRX that I never installed. Its new in the box. I wonder if it could be made to fit.

Should be interesting once everything is on the new modular platform... I'd bet a lot of the next gen WRX/STi bits would bolt right up to the next gen XV.

When I first drove the XV it was amazing that all the interior interfaces fell exactly in the same places as my old WRX. It was very clear that I was driving an Impreza.
A lot of the GR/GV and VA chassis share many mounting points with the GJ/GP chassis.

Also, I've personally sat inside the 4th generation of each respective Subaru compact including Forester, WRX/WRX STI, Impreza, and of course XV Crosstrek. Only the Forester has a little difference, being the doors since they're a different shape. Otherwise, almost all the interior components are interchangeable.

Basically, many of the the aftermarket performance chassis reinforcement parts that apply to the VA chassis WRX/WRX STI perfectly fit our GP chassis XV Crosstrek.

With the Subaru Global Platform, that means that parts compatibility between compact and midsize will increase. So chassis parts from an Impreza/XV Crosstrek/WRX/WRX STI/Forester will be even more compatible with Legacy/Outback/Tribeca replacement.

What all that means is the relationship between Subaru's compact (C-segment) vehicles will share even more in common with their midsize (D-segment) vehicles.