Strut Tower Brace Install and Comparison Video - Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums
Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums

Old 01-31-2015, 07:10 PM   #1

My Vehicle: 14 Crosstrek Limited SWP
Default Strut Tower Brace Install and Comparison Video

I picked up a STI Flexible Strut Tower Brace and recorded the install, only thing missing in the video is torquing the nuts to spec, I did that after. It's tough to tell the effects of the strut tower brace in the video but it's well worth it. I just wouldn't pay retail for it, I bought it used.

Old 01-31-2015, 09:25 PM   #2

My Vehicle: 2014 XV Crosstrek Sport Jasmine Green Metallic
Default Re: Strut Tower Brace Install and Comparison Video

what year was the brace from ?
do you have a part number for the brace?
what weight did you torque the 10 mm nuts to ?
The Rog Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 10:18 PM   #3

My Vehicle: Sigourney our XV, and Pearl our XT

It's nice to see people use actual hand tools. Job well done and thank you for sharing this toy.

Dan

Remember where you have been because it will help guide where you are going. --DSH

The Hulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2015, 10:54 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by The
what year was the brace from ?
do you have a part number for the brace?
what weight did you torque the 10 mm nuts to ?
It came off a 2013. Part number is shown 10 seconds into the vid lol Part # E4010FJ000. Torque them to 14.5 lb ft.
Old 01-31-2015, 11:54 PM   #5

Thank you for this thread. It's convinced me to put one on my XV. You're right about not paying retail for it. If you wouldn't mind posting it, what did you pay for it?
Old 02-01-2015, 12:26 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hacksaw
Thank you for this thread. It's convinced me to put one on my XV. You're right about not paying retail for it. If you wouldn't mind posting it, what did you pay for it?
Found one for about $200 with the 6 new locking nuts. More expensive than a solid bar but I'm ok with that.
Old 02-01-2015, 03:06 AM   #7

My Vehicle: 2014 Crosstrek Hybrid

I've been looking at a welded 1 piece on on ebay for 150. What is better, the solid or the flexible?
applezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 10:48 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by applezz
I've been looking at a welded 1 piece on on ebay for 150. What is better, the solid or the flexible?
I've never ridden in a Crosstrek with a one piece brace so I can't say which is better. I'm pleased with the flexible bar.
Old 07-15-2015, 05:18 PM   #9

My Vehicle: 2015 XV Crosstrek (Tangerine Orange Pearl)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosstrek302 View Post
I've never ridden in a Crosstrek with a one piece brace so I can't say which is better. I'm pleased with the flexible bar.
So you have had this added now since January (it appears from the date of your post). Can you say that it was worth it to install? Has it made a noticeable difference? Is this the one that you used (photo below). I have a 50% off coupon for Subaru parts. I was thinking of using it for the Strut Tower Brace, but I don't want to waste the money if it isn't worth it. Can I get your thoughts?

N6VHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 03:08 AM   #10
Site Team

My Vehicle: 2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek 5MT

It's worth it if you actually push your XV Crosstrek to its limits during cornering, wish for improved chassis response, and still desire good ride quality. Otherwise, if you simply drive like the average American driver, it's just dead weight.

I have a solid bar, a Cusco front strut tower brace. Although I didn't initially feel a big difference, I had my brothers drive my car before and after, and they could definitely feel a difference in the chassis. And through some long-term driving, I've realized that the solid strut tower braces do actually make a tiny little difference in ride quality, as pothole-ridden California interstate freeways have shown me.
Now, I should clarify that all these chassis bracing are not the kind of mods that have the best "bang for your buck".

In short, chassis bracing will not deliver significant enough "feel" in improvement to justify the costs for most drivers. If you drive hard on and off-road, it may be a good idea, but if you never ever take your XV to 100% whether in the twisty mountain roads or rutted off-road trails, you are better off looking for a different kind of modification.

If you do feel that a brace is worth getting, I would actually recommend the STI Flexible Strut Tower Brace over a solid Cusco or SSD brace, which may slightly add harshness to the ride quality, for a daily-driven commute application.
AWDfreak is offline   Reply With Quote