What about lifting crosstrek with coilovers? - Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums
Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums

Old 05-24-2017, 01:48 AM   #1

My Vehicle: 2008 specb and 2016 crosstrek limited
Default What about lifting crosstrek with coilovers?

Can/has it been done? I know people have lowered them but I would like a little lift and the stock struts suck. Any help would be great thanks

Boxerfxt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2017, 08:16 AM   #2

*IF* you could find anything like that, it would work, but it would throw your suspension geometry off. Your roll center would be off, camber would need corrected, you would have positive camber which is not only bad for tires, but is actually dangerous to drive on since you would lose the natural suspension camber curve that follows the negative camber spectrum. So in short, no. You can't do it *CORRECTLY* with only coilovers. It would require you to move the lower and upper arm mounting pivots downward. And when you do that, it would lose ground clearance because as much as you lifted it, now that suspension component has to be lowered toward the ground that much too.
Subarust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 02:50 PM   #3

Ok thank you for the explanation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2017, 03:46 PM   #4

My Vehicle: 05 big turbo STi - 18 ADF lifted Crosstrek

You could get the ADF 1 or 2 inch lift kits.
stupidchicken03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 04:23 PM   #5
Site Team

My Vehicle: 2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek 5MT

It has been done... with a completely redone suspension with rally racing coilovers. Vermont SportsCar made a Subaru XV rally car. The closest thing you can get is find some rally racing coilovers designed for the 2015-present (likely to 2020) WRX/WRX STI and see what setup they have going on there.
Old 05-24-2017, 04:28 PM   #6
Site Team

Eh, Subarust just hates modified suspension. Don't listen to that guy...

I'm lifted 2" with 1" springs and 1" spacers, and my alignment is in spec. I had my alignment done by the performance shop that built this:

But with that said, he is right. Lifting (or lowering) does throw your geometry off. So don't go lifting it and expect to be able to hit corners as fast as you could stock. You also have to understand that lifting will put added wear on components like bushings and possibly axles.

But none of that matters because there are currently no coilovers available for lifting. Because monotube setups don't do well at that length when they hit sideways force. I was going to work with Feal to develop one, but they vanished off the face of the earth right after they agreed to make them. I have heard that ADF is working with Hotbits to make lifting coilovers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RallyeBourne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 01:41 AM   #7

Ivan we get coilovers for our stock height? Something that is a little more aggressive .
Old 06-08-2017, 03:05 AM   #8

Hey hey hey now,,, I'm not against lifted suspension! Lol. I just like to warn folks about the consequences of doing it the RIGHT way. You could half ass it. I did when I did autcross. Slammed coilovers, not LCA spacers, my civic rode like CRAP and drove daily like garbage. It did ok in autocrosss, but daily driving in the rain was actually dangerous. But hey, lift it! If it works and you don't slide off a corner, great!
Subarust is offline   Reply With Quote