What’s the biggest brake upgrade for 2018 stock wheels? - Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums
Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums

Old 07-03-2018, 04:48 PM   #1

Default What’s the biggest brake upgrade for 2018 stock wheels?

What’s the biggest brake upgrade for 2018 stock wheels?

Subaruplatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2018, 05:52 PM   #2
R P

My Vehicle: 2018 Crosstrek Limited w/EyeSight

Just curious, why would you want to upgrade the 2018 brakes? They already are upgraded from the prev gen Crosstrek incl larger front calipers.

But to answer your question, in general biggest bang for the buck is often the lines to eliminate flex and expansion due to heavy pressure. But that is more for the race guys.
R P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 06:02 PM   #3

My Vehicle: 05 big turbo STi - 18 ADF lifted Crosstrek

Steel braided line
more aggressive pad

Those would be the two main options. Then you would have upgraded discs and calipers.

But as mentioned above, why?

Old 07-03-2018, 08:19 PM   #4

Default What’s the biggest brake upgrade for 2018 stock ?

I was once upon a time into VW.
There’s a mirriad of after market upgrades for almost every aspect of those vehicles.

I realize that for starters all vehicles capable of eyesight have better brakes.
Also I’m happy with them too. Just curious if there’s a stop tech or willwood system anybody’s contemplated?
Subaruplatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 09:50 PM   #5

My Vehicle: 05 big turbo STi - 18 ADF lifted Crosstrek

I personally have no need for any of the above mentioned upgrades based on how I use the car.

If anyone were to upgrade, I would bet it would be AWDfreak as he has tons of data on brakes in general.
Old 07-05-2018, 08:15 AM   #6
Site Team

My Vehicle: 2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek 5MT

This won't answer your question, but I figured it would be relevant to the discussion.

The biggest limiting factor to brakes is the tires. Any "upgrades" are simply upgrades to feel and fade resistance. Otherwise, modern vehicles wouldn't need ABS.

If your concern is fade resistance, upgrading to brake pads which have a brake compound capable of withstanding the temperatures you expect to encounter will be the correct course of action. Brake fluid change to one with a much higher boiling point is also highly recommended.

If your concern is actual friction and effort needed to slow the vehicle down, again, brake pads but with a higher friction rating will remedy the "weak brakes" feeling.

If your concern is in regard to extensive repeated high temperature use and fade resistance, then larger brakes is definitely a solution to consider. However, if you are getting to this point, most likely you've got the wrong vehicle of choice and may want to reconsider your choice of vehicle. Thankfully, the knuckles on Subaru's vehicles allow for high interchangeability between Subaru models.

However, any of the original equipment fixed calipers on Subaru models will require spacers and/or new wheels. The only thing I could come up with would be to retrofit the brakes from the 2014-2018 Subaru Forester 2.0XT (SJ chassis) [sport turbo trim level], as they share the same bolt pattern. They would likely fit the 17 inch diameter wheels as older WRX wheels have proven to fit over them.

I would be surprised if you legitimately need this upgrade, as I seem to be the only one in the entire world who would need a big brake upgrade kit the most since I actually drive my vehicle to the very limit.