ClubCrosstrek Acquisition - Page 2 - Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums
Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums

Old 11-01-2013, 10:22 AM   #11

My Vehicle: 2013 XV Crosstrek - Desert Khaki - 5MT Premium
Default Re: ClubCrosstrek Acquisition

I took Montanan's post to mean he was talking about Fuelly's app.

Currently GasTracker is run by Fuelly, but there was mention of them releasing an official Fuelly app.

Advertisement

Old 11-01-2013, 02:01 PM   #12

My Vehicle: 2013 Crosstrek, Tangerine

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClubCrosstrek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan
Congratulations to all involved!!

(We are, however, going to have to have a serious talk about that iOS app of yours ... )
Thank you! Do you mean our Tapatalk integration?
Heh ... nope. I don't use Tapatalk and am not a fan of it, but I was talking about Fuelly's GasTracker app. The [email protected]#$%!! thing is a mess, and has refused to show my vehicle stats for months, now.
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 02:20 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan
(We are, however, going to have to have a serious talk about that iOS app of yours ... )
I agree. Basically GasTracker was built by an individual who builds apps that scrape popular sites in order to give members App access to a website. I knew we needed a native iOS app so when I saw he launch GasTracker I contacted him and we worked a deal to acquire the app from him. It's built on screen scraping technology since he did not have full access to the database. Because it's based on scraping, it's not able to account for all the customized data that people see when they login vs someone else and thus the issues people are having. My plan was to keep the developer who I acquired the app from on retainer and work out the bugs. Unfortunately he got busy with other projects and it languished.

We have been busy working on a new version of Fuelly which is based on an API and thus the website and apps will all function through the same API making it much more reliable. Our plan is to throw away GasTracker by pushing out an update that will send people to the new app we are building from the ground up. It's based on GasCubby a popular iOS fuel logging app we acquired for this sole purpose. GasCubby is the gold standard for easy fuel logging, it takes the least clicks and has a huge user base. By joining forces we'll provide GasCubby users a cloud based system where they can manage their fuel logs, service history and lots of future features about their vehicles via the app or online with an Android version out next year (a complete cross platform service). It will also allow us to grow our crowd sourced data so we can all benefit from seeing how we are doing vs others or use Fuelly when researching a vehicle purchase.

Right now the new API has been developed, the website is being ported over to work on the new API (on our dev server) and the new GasFuelly app is nearing completion (hooked to the new API). This means that it's probably a couple more months before we an launch the new app but it will work much better then GasTracker since it's not going to use screen scraping technology and will feed right in via the API.

So, I apologize for GasTracker, it was a failed initiative but we learned a lot from it. Look for a new app soon!
Andy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2013, 04:06 PM   #14

My Vehicle: 2013 Crosstrek, Tangerine

That's fantastic to hear, Andy ... and I apologize for starting off with a bit of snark, there.

If you ever need a beta tester for the new app, let me know!
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 09:08 PM   #15

My Vehicle: 2013 XV Crosstrek - Desert Khaki - 5MT Premium

So glad to hear that, Andy.

I was having the same issue as Montanan, but recently it started functioning correctly again. No changes on my end.

I'd been curious about the progress of the native app though; it's nice to have an update - especially one so in-depth instead of just "yeah, it's coming."
Old 11-02-2013, 03:10 PM   #16

My Vehicle: 2013 Crosstrek Limited, Satin White Pearl

Hello and welcome aboard... On both sides of the house.

Like my ol' buddies here, Wing, Montanan and the others, I'll be interested to see how the merger and forthcoming changes will enhance the board and app expiriences for every one. Like others, I found the fuelly app had issues. But since it's inversion with gas tracker, it's better than what it was. Porting all your systems through a single-source API will be huge improvement all the way around. Sounds like you guys are on top of it. And we will all be looking forward to future releases.

Not like your developer needs another task to (hehehe), but I'm sure we will also be looking forward to our "wish list" of enhancements to our board. Things such as "like post" and other goodies will be fun and interactive. I think there were a few other ideas out there, but I can't remember them (yes, I already bought ginkgo biloba to enhance my memory. But I can't remember where the heck I put it) ;-)

Of course... If Santa really wanted to bring ol' granny here a real goodie, he'd come up with some plans for a "portfolio" section for the site. Sure... We have our garages. But let's face it, trying to show off your car on block-style bb-code pages that sprawl 40 times beyond the fold of the page is less than pleasing. Not to mention the UX isn't very intuitive (yep...those are all words I'm sure you know, since it seems we chew some of the same dirt from the technologies and web productions industry). :-)

Btw... Hats off to admin-ccc who did a great job of moving forward with the board's acquisition, in a smooth and seamless manner.

Here's to all you guys and gals that give your time in maintaining our great forum here. Why... If this forum wasn't here, who else would listen to this ol' granny ramble on about nothing. Ha!

I'm a hip ol' granny
Who said, "what the heck".
Old can be cool....
So I bought the 'Trek.

Old 11-03-2013, 02:47 PM   #17

My Vehicle: 2015 CBS WRX

Thanks for the kind words, avimia. I am pretty sure there are some pre-built "enhanced gallery" (portfolio) softwares that can be integrated with SMF. I know Andy and his team are super busy right now but I will mention it to him and do some research myself to see what can be done. If they think it's a good move then we'll go from there!
Old 11-12-2013, 01:03 PM   #18

My Vehicle: 2013 Limited Tangerine

Cool news! The forums here actually led me to discover Fuelly. Looking forward to see how things change in the future!
Old 11-22-2013, 10:14 PM   #19

My Vehicle: 2014 Sky Blue Mica Mazda CX-5

I go away for a month and a half and this happens....

Welcome aboard Fuelly team.

Scott