Google Custom Search feature - Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums
Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums

Old 05-22-2013, 03:45 PM   #1

My Vehicle: 2008 Forester XS 4EAT
Default Google Custom Search feature

GOOGLE Custom Search Engine http://www.google.com/cse/

Searches just this forum, even minimal search criteria will pull up plenty, beats the c*** out of the best Advanced Search feature and this one.

Doesn't require a subscription but with Google ad banners already running here catered to your personal searches it will be a welcome addition as the forum grows in finding related posts and threads.

Those of you have used this feature on other forums will agree, it's simply the best and fastest.

Advertisement

Old 05-28-2013, 07:49 PM   #2

My Vehicle: 2015 CBS WRX
Default Re: Google Custom Search feature

Hey sorry for not responding to this earlier. I think I found a way to easily implement it to every page so I will look into installing it sometime this week and see how it works.
Old 05-28-2013, 08:18 PM   #3

Thanks, it'll improve everyones Search skills at finding the one you always can't remember.
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2013, 05:55 PM   #4

Unfortunately I still haven't found a great way to integrate CSE into the forum. Still working on it, though.
Old 06-20-2013, 12:22 PM   #5

You may notice there is a Google Custom Search bar on the top of every page now. I still have a lot of tinkering to do with it so, while it does search properly, it doesn't look good at all IMO.

Give me a few days to hopefully figure everything out!
Old 06-20-2013, 02:59 PM   #6

Thank you Sir! Just a suggestion /option for placement is under the clubCROSSTREK.com banner in the orange bar. And as it shows up when selecting the Search menu, maybe it doesn't have to be on each page (?). But I like the idea of it being on each page as a Search is often generated when reading a thread that requires further information from other posts.

Tried it out but am getting this message (or similar) on multiple tries, with different search criteria's on different pages and in different sub-forums (?). Search criteria for the first was 'show your dogs' and second 'cabin filter' with/without quotation marks.

Warning: Unexpected character in input: '\' (ASCII=92) state=1 in /home1/justfor/public_html/clubcrosstrek.com/results.php on line 8
Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_STRING in /home1/justfor/public_html/clubcrosstrek.com/results.php on line 9

and Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_VARIABLE in /home1/justfor/public_html/clubcrosstrek.com/results.php on line 2

iMac/Safari
Old 06-20-2013, 04:16 PM   #7

Thanks for the input. I am definitely going to move the search bar somewhere else, but first on my list is getting the results page to look right/fit in with the rest of the forum's theme. For some reason it doesn't want to cooperate. I am at work now but will play with it as I have time. At least it is giving results, though.
Old 06-21-2013, 12:11 PM   #8

Update:

- We still don't know what's going on with the results page design. It is ugly as hell but the way Google has it set up we actually don't have much control over the layout. I can make it better, but I don't think it will be perfect.

- For some reason, a lot of the results coming up our WAP2, which is the simplified version of SMF. It is basically just a text output of a thread, rather than a nicely formatted page within the forum's theme. We have not figured out why it is doing this yet.

- We didn't realize Google CSE had any advertisements; I really do not like them and it was not my intention. We can't turn off the ads without being classified as a tax exempt organization, which we aren't (per Google: http://support.google.com/customsear...n&answer=70354).

Can anyone link me to a forum/website/whatever that implements Google CSE well so we can take a look and get ideas? In the meantime we'll keep playing with it.
Old 06-21-2013, 04:17 PM   #9

Hopefully the link works for you. Yes we have the Google ads too, but once you get used to where the forum posts start it becomes an automated response to scroll to the 'real results' http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulle...s=944j340864j4 After looking at a few more websites (other than AutoGuide/VerticalScope's) it appears the ads are a given if you want to use the feature. But as I mentioned it quickly becomes a pass over the ads to the 'real results'.

Not sure if there is a way to enhance the background of where the forum results start to differentiate it from the Google ads. Maybe by a colored background? Are the banner ads you currently run, Goggle or other provider?
Old 06-21-2013, 04:24 PM   #10

Forgot to mention it is looking better than when it was initiated and I got more 'hits' on the most recent Search.