VigLink marketing links - Page 2 - Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums
Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums

Old 10-16-2018, 06:16 PM   #11
Site Team

VigLink provides advertising links on the website to specific keywords. It is not visible by registered members, only for guests.

It is not a virus and does not infect your computer by coming to the site.

- JB

Tech Admin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2018, 06:21 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech Admin View Post
VigLink provides advertising links on the website to specific keywords. It is not visible by registered members, only for guests.

It is not a virus and does not infect your computer by coming to the site.

- JB
Thanks for confirming it's "feature" of the site, as I suspected. It must have been one of the times I visited to look at a response without logging in...
AstroKats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 09:34 PM   #13

JB, I just looked at this thread in a new Chrome Incognito tab (to be sure I wasn't logged in or any other cookies were available). Your post stated:

"It is not a virus and does not infect your computer by coming to the site."

In your post, "computer" was tagged and linked and went to this:

"https://www.partsgeek.com/vkrms1l-chevrolet-malibu-tail-light-pc-board.html?utm_source=shopzilla&utm_medium=pf&utm_ content=dc&utm_campaign=PartsGeek+ShopZilla&fp=pp& utm_term=Chevrolet+Tail+Light+PC+Board"

"Product Description
Your vehicle's Chevrolet Malibu Tail Light PC Board is a necessary safety element, allowing more visibility on dark roads or during bad conditions. The Tail Light PC Board is a fundamental piece of the automotive lighting system that can enhance the presence of your car to other drivers. Driving without a Tail Light PC Board is unsafe and is not legal in all counties. Your car's Tail Light PC Board should be switched out when the glass is fractured or the light burns out. A failing Tail Light PC Board could cause serious problems in the operation of your car or truck, so it ought to be promptly repaired. A replacement using a Dorman Tail Light PC Board (SKU 923-006) for your Chevrolet Malibu will keep your car is operating at 100% efficiency."

I have NEVER owned a Chevy Malibu and this purports to be a Subaru Crosstrek site...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2018, 09:48 PM   #14

My Vehicle: XV Crosstrek CVT Limited w/ Nav+Moonroof

That's pretty common for several sites that I frequent and it is annoying. One of the many reasons I use uBlock for Chrome. Heck, I've got 15 blocks on this page while typing. Makes for a much cleaner and safer browsing experience!

Turkeytoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 09:59 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkeytoe View Post
That's pretty common for several sites that I frequent and it is annoying. One of the many reasons I use uBlock for Chrome. Heck, I've got 15 blocks on this page while typing. Makes for a much cleaner and safer browsing experience!
I've used AdBlock Plus for years. Does uBlock prevent VigLink redirects?
Old 10-16-2018, 10:02 PM   #16

My Vehicle: XV Crosstrek CVT Limited w/ Nav+Moonroof

Yes. I just checked your original thread where this was mentioned and this thread as well. Both are blocked both logged in and out.

Edit: It completely removes the hyperlink and bubble text. Like it's not even there.

Turkeytoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 10:11 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkeytoe View Post
Yes. I just checked your original thread where this was mentioned and this thread as well. Both are blocked both logged in and out.

Edit: It completely removes the hyperlink and bubble text. Like it's not even there.
OK, on the one hand that's a good thing.

However, according to the admin here, we don't see it if we're logged in. So, for a member, it doesn't make much difference.

A new person, finding this site to try to solve a problem, might think I am recommending a Chevy Malibu part...?
Old 10-18-2018, 06:58 PM   #18
Site Team

It could be a competing ad, or perhaps it grabbed a few keywords and "OEM Fog Light Bulb Replacement..." from the recent threads to generate that link.

No one is seeing it when logged in still, correct?

- JB
Old 10-18-2018, 07:15 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech Admin View Post
It could be a competing ad, or perhaps it grabbed a few keywords and "OEM Fog Light Bulb Replacement..." from the recent threads to generate that link.

No one is seeing it when logged in still, correct?

- JB
To me, it's irrelevant if someone is logged in or not. In fact, I would have thought you would want to attract the "not logged in" people as I don't see a lot of activity here. If I were checking out this site and was redirected to Chevy parts I probably would not return...
Old 10-19-2018, 05:33 PM   #20
Site Team

Hey there,

So if the user does not want to see the viglinks on the forum, the users can simply sign up for the forum.

Ed