Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

First time softroading

4K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  AWDfreak 
#1 ·
A Decided to risk picking up some "character", and get a little feel for what it might be capable of. Keep in mind, just broke the 1000 mile mark.

This was about a 45 degree incline, off camber, with some loose rocks averaging 3" in diameter on packed dirt, with some loose dirt on top. Part of an ATV trail.

Tried it with traction control OFF first. Ended up switching it back on, as I was spinning too much, and not breaking over the top.

Oh yes, and glad I poked around a little, to see what experiences others had offroad with their xv's, or I might have been alarmed when I heard that God-awful sound that the traction control makes.

See less See more
#4 ·
Don't be afraid of the sound of traction control. Without it, the open diffs on the front and the rear of XV Crosstreks would get one nowhere.

Also, don't be afraid if your vehicle feels like it has wheelspin. Keep your foot planted on the accelerator and given you have enough traction and clearance, it will get you through.

#6 ·
Those are great pictures. I just bought a 2016 crosstrek with a manual transmission. Is your car a manual or cvt? Wondering how the manual would do in steep climbs with loose gravel/dirt like that.
Just imagine burnt clutch smell... It's possible, but lots of steep uphill off-roading in the single-range manual transmission XV Crosstrek will very much reduce the clutch lifespan.

#7 ·
Thanks for the reply AWDfreak.. I figured the cvt would be a better choice if hill climbs are what your into. This is my first AWD vehicle and I am amazed at the capabilities of the crosstrek.
ILooking forward to putting mine through its paces when I get back to the Midwest this summer. The dirt roads in farm country await.

#8 ·
Sorry, haven't been back in awhile. Well.... I came from a Jeep Wrangler with an 8" lift on 37" tires... fully locked diffs front and rear. If you want to Offroad in a serious fashion, THIS is the way to go. HOWEVER, it is not a daily driver, and will suck the cash out of your pockets at the pump. Hence, the Crosstrek. While it's not a jeep, it does pretty well for what it is. When Offroad, it's all correct tires, wheel placement, and skinny pedal, in a Subaru. One thing though. The Crosstrek goes forward ALOT better than it goes backwards. Yes, I have the CVT. What's missing from the Crosstrek? Limited slip diffs and/or locker in the rear, a turbo, and a low range. Approach and departure angles SUCK. Ground clearance ok, for what it is... but, you're not gonna lift one of these without adverse effects. They are a on road, or soft roader.... NOT a jeep.

#10 ·
Sorry, haven't been back in awhile. Well.... I came from a Jeep Wrangler with an 8" lift on 37" tires... fully locked diffs front and rear. If you want to Offroad in a serious fashion, THIS is the way to go. HOWEVER, it is not a daily driver, and will suck the cash out of your pockets at the pump. Hence, the Crosstrek. While it's not a jeep, it does pretty well for what it is. When Offroad, it's all correct tires, wheel placement, and skinny pedal, in a Subaru. One thing though. The Crosstrek goes forward ALOT better than it goes backwards. Yes, I have the CVT. What's missing from the Crosstrek? Limited slip diffs and/or locker in the rear, a turbo, and a low range. Approach and departure angles SUCK. Ground clearance ok, for what it is... but, you're not gonna lift one of these without adverse effects. They are a on road, or soft roader.... NOT a jeep.
Limited slip diff isn't necessary with the VDC's operation of stability and traction control. It will clamp the wheels that are slipping, therefore applying torque to the wheels that are gripping, hence the reason why I mentioned faithfully applying the accelerator is the way to go about it with a Subaru with VDC.

Turbo is sort of a moot point considering the highlight of the XV Crosstrek as a crossover is its fuel economy. And the Subaru Forester 2.0 XT exists for those who want a compact crossover Subaru with a turbocharged engine.

A low range is actually what's available in various overseas markets. The dual-range 5-speed manual transmission is exclusively paired to the FB16 engine, a 1.6 liter flat-4 boxer engine that barely squeezes out about 110 horsepower. The FB20 (2.0 liter gasoline/petrol) and EE20 (2.0 liter turbo diesel) can be had with a single-range 6-speed manual or Lineartronic CVT (HT-CVT version in diesel)

The especially-bad approach angle is what also contributes to the XV Crosstrek's former class-leading fuel efficiency.

Ground clearance is actually best-in-class with the subcompact crossover category the XV Crosstrek competes in (despite the Crosstrek being a compact rather than a subcompact), tied with the Jeep Renegade Trailhawk (regular Jeep Renegades do not have the same suspension lift as the Trailhawk).

And I assure you, most of us bought the Subaru XV Crosstrek because it was NOT a Jeep, but a good jack-of-all-trades compromise that offered enough of both on-road handling/manners and light off-road capability to still enjoy while retaining respectable fuel efficiency.

#9 ·
I did see some lift (suspension and spacers) for the crosstrek. Not sure if they would adversely effect the ride on the street though. I also seen a brush guard from subaxtreme that replaces the front bumper completely which increased the approach angle capability but that doesn't help the departure and it does drastically alter the appearance of the car. But, its also not a jeep. I like the crosstrek be a use it is extremely capable for what it is. AN economical car that rides good, looks sharp, and when the road ends can still handle it's own.

I did take mine on a (what everyone here calls) spirited drive down the loose gravel roads of Kansas and wow, was a great time..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.