SNOOOOOW - Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums
Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums

Old 03-19-2013, 09:30 PM   #1

My Vehicle: '13 XV Limited Khaki, 06 Outback 2.5i 5MT Atlantic Blue
Default SNOOOOOW

Anybody else get out and have some fun with their cars this winter? I've had mine in foot deep twice and numerous super fun long rotten road condition runs so far. This thing is fantastic in the snow! Last night was the icing on the cake though.

It was snowing hard when I left work in Soho (downtown NYC for those who don't know) and had been sleeting for about two hours leading up to the changeover so the roads were all sortsa slippy slidey in the city and all the way up to the Bronx. Then they got snow packed in a hurry and things got "interesting." Every little incline was an uphill slalom course with some streets at a complete standstill leaving me to go around on the sidewalk both forwards and backwards to get through to the highway where it was worse. Overpasses were a quagmire of spin outs and cars just sitting there or even sliding backwards slowly with traffic backed up for a mile or more at a time to get past. There were plenty of AWD cars stuck too proving the near uselessness of the Haldex system or Honda and Toyota FWD based systems. Once I got out of the land of livery cabs and people who "know somebody" so their cars pass their annual inspection it opened up a little bit and I got to play. Did you know that with the traction control off this car will spin three or four times with just a little bit of throttle input? ;D

A few miles later when the Bronx River Parkway ends and you are on the Sprain Brook Parkway it gets a little bit hilly and the carnage started all over again. Now we're in the land of the Euro Sports Sedan/SUV Central. Vehicles with tires that are basically non functional under 40* and 40-50mm too wide for anything other than summer country road running. WOOT! What a party On the second hill I caught up to a group of 3 big state highway plows and figure "oh well, car will be covered with salt and I'll do 20mph for the next 15 miles but it's at least predictable." NOPE. Third hill and it was straight up entertainment. Cars scattered at every possible angle, some facing the wrong way and some being pushed by people wearing leather soled dress shoes and sport jackets. Hope their Rolexes didn't get too salty 8) I had to back down the hill and go onto the shoulder through the snowbank then the grassy sidehill for about 300 yards through the landscaping (such as it is), it was kinda like a shallow sidehill powder run on skis. People were screaming obscenities at "the hippy ripping up the grass" and the plow drivers were on the air horns cheering me on while I had my arm out the window and was screaming SOOOOBAHROOOO as I left the quagmire of headlights in my rearview mirror.

A few miles up I caught up to the next group of cars as they got together to hang out and made a bunch of short swing turns (another ski reference) throwing big rooster tails at them to remind them what a mistake they made not getting a SOOOOBAHROOOO for commutes just like the one we were making. Then we hit the construction zone where the road goes down to two lanes with concrete barriers on both sides and huge floodlights everywhere making visibility a challenge. Too bad some people have rotten wiper blades because they just didn't fare well at all when they were introduced to said barriers at all sorts of strange angles and I just marveled the the ingenuity of the modern driver as I cruised by.

Now it really got fun. Gaining elevation we entered a large windswept plateau that hadn't seen a plow yet and there was about 4" of completely hammered rutted snow to contend with and most of them rolled through at a stately 5-10 mph with a few brave souls pushing on at 20+. My little Khaki XV laughed at them and said "Please get out of what's left of the left lane, I need to get my dad home already so he can have a beer after a long day at work" and "why are you going so slow, this is to a Subarau like a rainstorm is to a duck." I rolled 35-45 the whole way... Then the descent into Pleasantville came and the northern Westchester entitled came out to play with their X5's and ML 350's and carnage ensued again. What is it about German steel and granite? They just don't mix. Dunno???

Up we go again and right lane, left lane, ooops spin around that Corolla and that Explorer, heheh missed them all and on we go. I finally got tired of the sh*tshow and jumped off in Millwood on Rt 100 and had a beautiful country road cruise for the next 10 miles or so until we hit the real back roads. 5" of fresh fluffy fluff to play with and just about no one around. Weeee weeee weeee all the way home ;D

That beer was good. Mmmmmmmmmmm

gravitylover is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2013, 09:33 PM   #2

My Vehicle: 2013 Limited Tangerine
Default Re: SNOOOOOW

Sounds like an adventure! I'm still waiting on some snow to try out my first subaru awd experience. Got some light ice last night, but nothing major.
Old 03-20-2013, 12:40 AM   #3

My Vehicle: 2013 Crosstrek, Black 5 sp.

http://youtu.be/ldlaWE5mZlw. Link to me and the fam playing over the holidays on family land.

Great story! Love it when your Crosstrek goes first person! The AWD is quite impressive.
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2013, 05:57 PM   #4
Site Team

My Vehicle: 2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek 5MT

The world needs a book of all kinds of Subaru short stories like these!

Thanks for sharing! I was thoroughly amused imagining all that happening. ;D
Old 03-25-2013, 06:06 PM   #5

My Vehicle: MY13 Crosstrek Limited CVT- Satin White Pearl
Default SNOOOOOW

Very cool! Thanks for sharing!!

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

"Life is tough... but it's tougher when you're stupid." ~John Wayne
Xtrekr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:17 PM   #6

My Vehicle: 06 & 99 Outback

gravitylover send this story to subaru so they can make this into a commercial! Very entertaining. Great stuff!
Kevin S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 04:12 AM   #7
Site Team

My Vehicle: 2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek 5MT

I forgot, there is a place for Subaru stories...

http://www.subaru.com/enthusiasts/de...aru/index.html

DO IT!!! DO IT NOW!!!
Old 03-27-2013, 04:26 AM   #8

My Vehicle: Crosstrek XV Limited, Orange

Great story, sounds like my fresh snow days Washington, except a lot less traffic on the back roads I go on.
Poego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 04:52 AM   #9

My Vehicle: 2015 CBS WRX

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWDfreak

DO IT!!! DO IT NOW!!!
Haha that's awesome -- seems like a very Subaru-ish thing to do. Gravitylover should definitely send it in!
Old 03-27-2013, 02:26 PM   #10

My Vehicle: '13 XV Limited Khaki, 06 Outback 2.5i 5MT Atlantic Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWDfreak

DO IT!!! DO IT NOW!!!
Thanx. Think I'll take care of that today.

I have more stories similar to this but I typed this up just a few hours after the trip so it reads better than the others.
gravitylover is offline   Reply With Quote