Soft Roading in SF Bay Area / Sacrament - Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums
Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums

Old 07-24-2014, 09:51 PM   #1

Default Soft Roading in SF Bay Area / Sacrament

I'm looking for some light off roading spots near the South SF Bay Area and/or Sacramento. If anybody has some hidden gems, please let us know! Thanks!

Simes01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2014, 05:04 AM   #2
Site Team

My Vehicle: 2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek 5MT
Default Re: Soft Roading in SF Bay Area / Sacrament

I'm just as curious of any opportunities. I know that there's Hollister Hills SVRA, but some parts are just too difficult for stock Subies.

I've scoured the bay area for off-roading places, and I did spot two trails (not sure if they're public or private) near Saratoga. I haven't actually driven them, and am very hesitant to enter them.

There's also two public dirt roads (not "real" off-roading, JUST dirt roads) I know of in Santa Clara County and San Benito County/Fresno County.

Summit Road eastbound towards Santa Cruz becomes a dirt road, then ends with a private road terminus. It starts at the southern end of California State Route 35 and ends in Santa Cruz (though not legally allowed, it is physically do-able). It is not well maintained and very narrow. In the daytime, local truck traffic is common, so it's not safe to pass through in the daytime.

Panoche Road in San Benito County and Fresno County is a well-maintained dirt road with two or three water crossings. One may use either California State Route 25 or Interstate 5 to get to it. It is wide enough most of the time for two vehicles to pass each other, and feels just like a gravel rally stage. I saw literally no traffic through it. Also, it's a wonderful scenic/fun route that connects Interstate 5 with US Route 101.
Old 09-19-2014, 07:47 AM   #3
Site Team

Default Re: Soft Roading in SF Bay Area / Sacrament

Well, I've compiled a bit of a list of dirt roads... but they're more south of the South Bay.

List of South Bay dirt roads

Also, hit up Prairie City! I took my XV there, and there are some trails the XV is definitely capable of taking on!
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2016, 10:04 PM   #4

Frank Raines near Livermore is an option.
puffdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 01:13 AM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by puffdc View Post
Frank Raines near Livermore is an option.
You're right... I totally forgot about that park!

Off-Highway Vehicle Parks - Parks & Recreation - Stanislaus County
Old 02-13-2016, 05:00 AM   #6
Site Team

I went to Prairie City today. Thoroughly enjoyed myself. Had a group of Jeeps breaking their necks watching me. Made me feel pretty cool, I can't lie. Got some cool pics on my camera. I'll upload later.

For $5, best afternoon bang for the buck. I'm going to try to make it a regular thing to go on my NorCal trips. If anyone wants to join, let me know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RallyeBourne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 11:33 PM   #7
Site Team

Hit me up when you do! I don't commute to Sacramento anymore, but since I've become accustomed to driving there, it won't be too much of a problem.

Glad you could also surprise the Jeepers like I did one some of my visits
Old 02-17-2016, 06:40 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWDfreak View Post
Well, I've compiled a bit of a list of dirt roads... but they're more south of the South Bay.
List of South Bay dirt roads
I'm totally gonna check some of these out. Would any of you guys be up to a meet up/off roading trek?

Also, does anyone know of any fire roads in the area that are open to public access?
gordonronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 11:54 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordonronco View Post
I'm totally gonna check some of these out. Would any of you guys be up to a meet up/off roading trek?

Also, does anyone know of any fire roads in the area that are open to public access?
An off-roading meet would be nice. I would imagine Hollister Hills SVRA would be a good place to meet and test out our Crosstreks.

As for fire roads, I assure you I haven't found a single publically-open dirt fire road. The closest thing to that would be the roads near The Forest of Nisene Marks State Park in that list, which includes Buzzard Lagoon Road. Despite what Google Maps shows, Buzzard Lagoon Road is in fact a through road and does not end inside the forest. Though I will warn you there may be times the gate at the southern end of the road may be closed...
Old 02-18-2016, 05:54 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWDfreak View Post
An off-roading meet would be nice. I would imagine Hollister Hills SVRA would be a good place to meet and test out our Crosstreks.

As for fire roads, I assure you I haven't found a single publically-open dirt fire road. The closest thing to that would be the roads near The Forest of Nisene Marks State Park in that list, which includes Buzzard Lagoon Road. Despite what Google Maps shows, Buzzard Lagoon Road is in fact a through road and does not end inside the forest. Though I will warn you there may be times the gate at the southern end of the road may be closed...
I'm kinda done with Hollister, there's too many ATVs and razors running around. Last couple times I've gone, I was almost hit twice because they came racing down the hill. I'd be down for something as far out as Old Coast road in Monterey or CR G14 by King City, or even up towards Prairie City SVRA up by Sac.
gordonronco is offline   Reply With Quote