2016 Crosstrek with 6 inch HU no nav and AHA - Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums
Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums

Old 11-17-2016, 07:57 PM   #1

Default 2016 Crosstrek with 6 inch HU no nav and AHA

Thanks in advance for any insight. I've got a 2016 Crosstrek with the 6" factory HU no nav but with AHA.

The AHA app looks promising but it seems so slow for practical, day to day usage.

I'm wondering if anyone else is experiencing this: Merely selecting a "preset" causes the unit to reload all the presets every time. If I'm listening to one preset and want to change content, I'll bring up my list of presets but every time I do this, I have to wait for the entire list of presets to "refresh". During this time, the system seems pretty unresponsive. All I can do is pause or change volume while I waiting for the presets to load up. I can switch "sources" and listen to FM but within the AHA app, the HU is going at a snails pace. It can take minutes to load up all the presets.

If I wait and select a different prest, it might take me 2 or 3 "enters" on the screen or steering wheel control for AHA to begin playing the other content. A few minutes later, if I want to view my list of presets, it will take minutes again just to start the process over again and I'll have to wait for all the presets to load all over again. Doesn't the HU have memory to store the presets so it doesn't have to go to the phone every time and d/l the list again and again ?

Is this how it was intended to function ?

First I thought it was maybe my phone or LTE service being slow but I tried my same phone in my friends 2017 outback (which has the 7 inch HU) and his AHA was far more responsive and was actually a pleasure to use.

Any thoughts ?

fzj80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2016, 06:48 AM   #2
Site Team

My Vehicle: 2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek 5MT

As much as it pains me to type this, the apps on the Starlink headunit, as you can tell, sometimes are slow to load. Unfortunately, I did try the separate Starlink music player app and it really is painfully slow that I switched back to using the regular music media player instead.
Old 11-21-2016, 03:15 PM   #3

My Vehicle: '15 XV Crosstrek Hybrid, Plasma Green Pearl

The Aha app, and all the others that they offer, are not worth the hassle in my opinion (not even close). They are all terrible.
demarcmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2016, 07:19 PM   #4
Site Team

My Vehicle: 2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek 5MT

I hate to say it, I must agree with demarcmj's remarks on the in-car apps.

Thankfully, Subaru will soon implement Android Auto and Apple Carplay on the newer vehicles, starting with the upcoming 5th generation Subaru Impreza, which will most likely be far easier and better to use than the existing Starlink infotainment systems.
Old 11-24-2016, 01:08 AM   #5

I really want to like the AHA app with all the news, weather, sports, talk shows and music channels. But it doesn't work properly in my '16 with the 7" HU.
AHA has 3 modes: stuck on one channel, the news channel from last week, or it displays the "searching spinner" but never finds the channel.

The Starlink app is useless.

Pandora, on the other hand, works flawlessly.
StephenF is offline   Reply With Quote