$36 tweeter upgrade- Stock connections! - Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums
Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums

Old 05-12-2014, 03:50 PM   #1

My Vehicle: 2013 XV Crosstrek Limited CVT- Satin White Pearl
Default $36 tweeter upgrade- Stock connections!

From the guy who brought you the $20 dollar tweeter upgrade http://clubcrosstrek.com/index.php/topic,1474.0.html...I'm back with a new design!

You will need your stock tweeters, two new tweeters, and two new capacitors. I used Dayton Audio ND20FA-6 3/4" Neodymium Dome Tweeters and Dayton Audio DMPC-6.8 6.8uF 250V Polypropylene Audio Grade Capacitors from parts express. Part # 275-030 and Part # 027-424. Total was $36.35 including shipping.

Carefully pry the back stock connector off of the tweeter. There are little clips that hold it and also some glue on the back.

Unscrew the screw, remove the plastic and pry off the magnet. Try not to deform the metal frame too much.

Here is the voice coil:

Rip that crap out...

The tweeter surround is bonded to a plastic ring, it peels off nicely.

Now take a soldering iron and heat the joint for the stock capacitor on the plastic connector. Remove the small capacitor. Its the little black can stuck to the connector in the previous pics.

Test fit the new audio grade cap...

notable size difference!

Now I'm gonna set up the tweeter mounting with a sheet of sound damping material called FatMat.

Trace the frame.

cut the tweeter hole, small scissors on a leatherman work great here.

Mount the tweeter and solder the speaker wire noting pos and neg...peel and stick to the frame..

insulate the cap wires and solder them to the stock connector:

take the speaker wire and wrap around the pos and neg terminals used by the stock tweeter. They are marked with + and -. White wire pos and black is Neg. Then solder. Glue the whole thing to the back of the frame. Glue the cap to the back of the connector. This will keep the thing solid and rattle free. There was plenty of depth in the stock location for those massive caps.

Two new tweets!

Compare to the old $20 tweeters...

I love these! I really liked the old ones too but not knowing if I got the polarity right with my fabbed connections really bothered me. These use the stock connection and a high quality capacitor. The sound is fantastic. These things are crispy! I am hearing a few things in songs I didn't notice before. Good stuff. -coletrain

Advertisement

Old 05-23-2014, 06:09 AM   #2

My Vehicle: 2014 Crosstrek
Default Re: $36 tweeter upgrade- Stock connections!

Sweet I'm liking this write up, I was thinking about ordering the Kicker tweets. Add these to my other items in the cart at PE and viola free shipping. Thanks

ben
YoBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 03:19 PM   #3

No prob Ben! You will be amazed at the clean crisp clear sound these have and you just saved about $65 versus the kickers. Feel free to post up here when you get it done and let me know how you like them. I can hear reverbs in the sound studio I never heard before on a few tracks. On another song with recorded samples, I can hear hissing in the sampled part from the less than perfect original analog recording. Very detailed sound.
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2014, 01:48 AM   #4

This was a good upgrade, I've haven't heard a stereo with the kicker tweeters though. After hearing a 2013 outback w/harmon kardon stereo I'm glad she didn't pick a crosstrek with a stereo upgrade
Old 07-18-2014, 02:09 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoBen
This was a good upgrade, I've haven't heard a stereo with the kicker tweeters though. After hearing a 2013 outback w/harmon kardon stereo I'm glad she didn't pick a crosstrek with a stereo upgrade
Glad you like it. Thanks!
Old 07-19-2014, 05:36 PM   #6

Thanks for the walk through, I am going to give this a try.

What kind of glue/adhesive did you use to keep everything together?
MightySwede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 01:06 AM   #7

I used 15 min epoxy because I'm familiar with it. I'm guessing hot glue might work but epoxy can take alot of G's before failing. You won't regret changing the tweeters, this was my first experience with these tweeters and I have used a lot of them.
Old 07-24-2014, 02:50 PM   #8

Thanks YoBen, that epoxy would work great (best), as would hot glue (good), or the silicone I used (just OK). (I had a old tube of clear slicone with a tiny bit left I needed to use up)
Old 07-29-2014, 05:53 AM   #9

Cole I was thinking of trying another tweeter (it's addicting) something a bit brighter. Have you thought of changing them out again? Don't have a cheat sheet open, can you tell me where those tweeters come in at? Thanks again.
Old 07-29-2014, 09:38 PM   #10

I was thinking they are bright already! Not sure what you mean "where those tweeters come in at?" If you mean freq then they are cutoff below about 4K on up to 20K.