Aftermarket head unit - Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums
Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums

Old 08-21-2014, 01:52 PM   #1

My Vehicle: 2014 XV Crosstrek Limited CVT (ISM)
Default Aftermarket head unit

Ok... after searching and reading everything I could find over the last couple of months I still can't find any definitive answers.

What I'd like to do is replace the poor factory nav unit with an aftermarket one. Will I be able to reuse anything like the BT mic, GPS antenna, or SiriusXM antenna?

I see where there's some aftermarket wiring adapters available that may allow some of the above but it's all really confusing to me.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2014, 02:53 PM   #2

My Vehicle: Subaru Crosstrek 2013 Orange, Toyota Tacoma 2005
Default Re: Aftermarket head unit

Basically all units with the correct universal connectors will work for Subaru. Not knowing how much you're willing to spend and what are the most important options to you. Go to crutchfield maybe they can inform you of a unit that most suites you.
billybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 05:23 PM   #3

My Vehicle: 2014 XV Crosstrek Limited CVT (ISM)

I've been looking at a couple of Kenwood units at Crutchfield. They've been very non-committal on whether the the Kenwoods are plug & play.

My research seems to indicate that everything in the OEM unit connects through the main connector. Is this not the case?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2014, 10:01 PM   #4

My Vehicle: Subaru Crosstrek 2013 Orange, Toyota Tacoma 2005

I purchased a remanufacturer Rosin Navigation unit through ebay! Been happy with it. All of these aftermarket units are going to need some kind of special connectors to adapt to your car. The manufacture wants you to buy and use their stuff so they don't make it easy to unscrew and screw in another unit from Walmart. I suggest find/decide what you like, then look at what harnesses and adapters you need to make it work. Allot of info out here just Google it. http://ae64.com/aftermarket-HU-insta...Impreza-BT.htm
billybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 12:14 AM   #5

My Vehicle: 2013 XV Crosstrek

With the proper harnesses you can connect an aftermarket head unit. About the only thing that will work out of the box will be the antenna, the backup cam, and the various center console inputs.
For steering wheel controls you will need something like the Axxess box to interface between the Subaru language and the head unit. With the box you can regain most of the controls, but not all. You should be able to program the box to get good usable functions though.
As far as the mic goes, forget about it. The impedence is so strange that it just wont work with any of the modern head units. The same goes with the gps antenna. It will only work with an unit that has the same manufacturer of the hardware.
That being said, I love having my Pioneer head unit. It puts out more clean power, has more outputs, and makes expansion a breeze. And it sounds great!
For even more info, check out www.nasoic.com or diyma.com. Don't forget ae64.com for all of the harnesses.

Mike
Ct Drummer is offline   Reply With Quote