Apple Carplay/Android Auto - Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums
Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums

Old 01-15-2016, 04:04 AM   #1

Default Apple Carplay/Android Auto

Has anybody heard when/if Subaru will be implementing Apple Carplay? All the searches online haven't gotten anywhere, so I'm hoping someone with a bit of "behind the scenes" knowledge at Subaru could let us know.

I recently picked up a '16 Crosstrek premium and am hoping that Carplay will be offered as an upgradeable feature. This is my first car with any sort of touchscreen, my previous 3 Subies were '06 or older. Are upgrades to older models something that is common, or will Carplay have to be a new from factory option?

66Poncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2016, 11:56 AM   #2

My Vehicle: 2015 XV Crosstrek Limited

A lot of people want this feature. This is especially true because you can't add navigation after purchase, different head unit, like other manufactures offer. So the only way to use that nice big screen for navigation, if it didn't come with the car, is going to be through Android Auto or Apple Carplay.

Subaru is listed as a partner on the Android Auto site, and has indicated that this feature may be available in the future. Alas they are really dragging their feet on this. For a company that claims to be so customer service friendly, they really need to stick a boot up Starlink's butt and get this done already!
geost1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 10:07 AM   #3

You can get the Android HU that's out now. The problem I see with Android Auto/Apple Carplay is that relies on your phone being connected through USB. So far there is no wireless/Bluetooth for AA or Carplay. With a dedicated Android HU, you basically have a tablet as an in-dash. You have several options:

Eonon

Pumpkin Headunit

and my personal favorite which I plan to buy and install soon:

Carpad 3

Reason I chose the Carpad 3 is because of the community support on XDA-developers. They have rooted the headunit and fixed most of the bugs that comes with it from factory. Unfortunately though, the only place to purchase this is through Alibaba.
toenail is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2016, 04:39 PM   #4

My Vehicle: 2015 XV Crosstrek Limited

Quote:
Originally Posted by toenail View Post
You can get the Android HU that's out now. The problem I see with Android Auto/Apple Carplay is that relies on your phone being connected through USB. So far there is no wireless/Bluetooth for AA or Carplay. With a dedicated Android HU, you basically have a tablet as an in-dash. You have several options:

Eonon

Pumpkin Headunit

and my personal favorite which I plan to buy and install soon:

Carpad 3

Reason I chose the Carpad 3 is because of the community support on XDA-developers. They have rooted the headunit and fixed most of the bugs that comes with it from factory. Unfortunately though, the only place to purchase this is through Alibaba.
I don't think the OP is looking to replace the head unit (HU).

The issue is that this should be a software update for the existing Starlink HU that would bring Android Auto and Apple Carplay. It's already touchscreen, 6" or 7", and has some smartphone compability. Really the system should have launched, or been immediately updated, with these highly sought after options.
geost1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 04:54 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by geost1 View Post
I don't think the OP is looking to replace the head unit (HU).

The issue is that this should be a software update for the existing Starlink HU that would bring Android Auto and Apple Carplay. It's already touchscreen, 6" or 7", and has some smartphone compability. Really the system should have launched, or been immediately updated, with these highly sought after options.
Exactly, I'm really hoping Carplay comes out as an update, I really don't want to put in an aftermarket head unit.
66Poncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 05:04 PM   #6

My Vehicle: 2014 Dark Grey XV Crosstrek

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66Poncho View Post
Exactly, I'm really hoping Carplay comes out as an update, I really don't want to put in an aftermarket head unit.
it's not going to come out as an update to existing vehicles...it'll be integrated in the factory stereo of new vehicles at some point. if you want it in your current car, you're gonna have to replace the headunit.
atom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 03:43 PM   #7

My Vehicle: 2014 Dark Grey XV Crosstrek

I installed a Pioneer 4200nex this weekend...android auto is pretty nice. still have to run the cable for the backup camera but the head unit install went easier than expected.
atom is offline   Reply With Quote