Back up camera - Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums
Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums

Old 10-12-2016, 07:08 PM   #1

Default Back up camera

I'm more than likely picking up a 2013 Crosstrek Limited model in the next week. The radio that comes with it is the smaller screen with the two nobs, so not the navigation system. From other forum posts I've gathered that it's relatively easy to install a new head unit (with a screen) however, the more difficult part, well difficult for me, would be hooking up the steering wheel controls and hooking up the backup camera. I think I have a good grasp on the steering wheel adjustments with an adapter, however I haven't found a solid answer on the factory backup camera. From Crutchfield, these new screened radio head units say that they are compatible with the car but don't mention if I will retain the backup camera function. I looked at the several adapters, but I'm really confused on how these short wires will hook up to this camera if you need rewire it. Is there a good general guide that would help me, or have any of you installed something after market like Kenwood or Pioneer that is compatible with the factory camera, or do I need to get a compatible aftermarket camera, and is there a guide telling me what will work with what. I know this is a mouthful.

TL;DR: Are Aftermarket head units compatible with factory backup cameras, or do I need to get a new one plus the adapter, and how do I hook it up?

RiotTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2016, 02:17 PM   #2

My Vehicle: 2014 XV Crosstrek Limited

I recently installed a Pioneer AVH-X4800BS in my 2014 XV. I also installed the Axxess ASWC-1 steering wheel controls and the SiriusXM SXV300 adapter. I also have the factory backup camera. Since Subaru doesn't use a RCA plug, I bought a camera retention harness from David Carter at Subaru radio and radio wiring harness information. I also bought the radio harness from him. He also sells an aux. harness that eliminates the need to cut the yellow/brown backup signal wire. I didn't purchase this, I just tapped into that wire. My camera works fine, but I lost the distance lines. Not a big deal though.
jeha262 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aftermarket, back up, backup camera, camera, dash display