Building a subwoofer box - Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums
Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums

Old 12-07-2013, 06:34 AM   #1

My Vehicle: 2014 Subaru Crosstrek XV Black
Default Building a subwoofer box

Hey has anyone built a subwoofer box before? I was going to sell my current subs and buy a new smaller one for the XV to save space but now I'm thinking about building a small box for just one and keeping the other sub in storage until I blow the first one, haha sounds arrogant but they are pretty old and have done their share of bumping.

Advertisement

Old 12-07-2013, 01:18 PM   #2

My Vehicle: 2013 Crosstrek Orange
Default Re: Building a subwoofer box

I built one for my 300zx. It was a fun process. Read up on how to's and have some fun. Mine is a wood structure not fiberglass. Sounds great. Go for it!
Highlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 01:26 AM   #3

Did you build a square box? That seems easy enough but I'm wondering how much of a pain it would be to make a box that'll fit to the weird shapes in the back of the crosstrek. I really want to maximize the space I have even though I'm taking from it.
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2013, 02:03 AM   #4

My Vehicle: 2013 Crosstrek Limited, Satin White Pearl

Unless you're just really into homemade projects, why don't you just look into the new Kicker sub that goes under the front passenger seat. Not only do you save space, but you won't have yo figure out any custom made wiring for your home made project.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Old 12-09-2013, 04:25 AM   #5

My Vehicle: 2013 Crosstrek Limited

Quote:
Originally Posted by avimia
Unless you're just really into homemade projects, why don't you just look into the new Kicker sub that goes under the front passenger seat. Not only do you save space, but you won't have yo figure out any custom made wiring for your home made project.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.
I agree. Or take the spare tire out and put the sub in the well.
Master Shooter
All round nice guy
Ikon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 04:50 AM   #6

My Vehicle: 2013 Crosstrek Orange

I like the other suggestions. However, in my case with my Z, I took out a compartment in the rear hatch area and it was almost a perfect square with the exception of one side that had a curve that followed the rear wheel well. I just contoured one side of the wood to fit that. Once I put speaker carpet over it, it looked almost stock.
Highlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 11:50 AM   #7

My Vehicle: MY13 Crosstrek Limited CVT- Satin White Pearl

I used to build custom boxes back in the early 90's.... a lot of prep and research goes into box.. in regards to sub specs ( what air volume it calls for, type of enclosure.. be it isobaric, sealed, ported, etc... ) To make a sub perform at it's best, you need to know all of these requirements prior to building just a 'box'. Sound waves can be canceled out within a square box unless you incorporate baffles into it, therefore.. I recommend a trapezoid type box to minimize this from happening. If you are truly inspired to build your own enclosure, don't rush into it and do your research on your subs, find out what the specs are and VAS ( air volumes ) to let it perform at it's best. You must also know if it was intended for a sealed or ported configuration... it makes a difference. Typically sealed boxes produce a tight, thumping bass and require less air volume ( if sub is designed for it ) and the ported boxes are much bigger and required a lot of air space for the 'booming' base. The port(s) in this type of enclosure can be used to 'tune' the frequency of the output by port diameter and length. Sometimes you can achieve better tuning with the use of 2 smaller ports over one big one.

Like I said... you have some research to get to....

"Life is tough... but it's tougher when you're stupid." ~John Wayne
Xtrekr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 07:56 PM   #8

Thanks for the info everyone, I dont think I have enough time to really do it the way it should be so maybe I'll buy what I need.
Old 01-28-2014, 09:48 PM   #9

My Vehicle: 2013 XV - Tangerine dream

I've built a couple of sealed boxes. This weekend I'm upgrading the entire sound system in my XV. Later in the year(when it's warmer) I'm fiberglassing a sealed custom box in the rear hatch in the space which is near the taillight. Fitting a 10" shallow sub is the plan. I'm thinking of using this sub: http://www.kicker.com/CompRT or the other option: http://www.alpine-usa.com/product/view/swr-t10/ but it's significantly more loot.

I'll have 500 rms watts going to the sub.

I'll document everything on here.

Old 01-29-2014, 05:45 AM   #10

Ill look forward to hearing and seeing how it goes. I cant wait for it to warm up so I can work on some projects, I dont have a garage so Im kinda screwed in that way.