Clarion 2014 AfterMarket HeadUnits - Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums
Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums

Old 03-16-2014, 10:31 PM   #1

My Vehicle: 2014 Tangerine Orange Subaru Crosstrek XV CVT Limited/Moonroof/N
Default Clarion 2014 AfterMarket HeadUnits

Just purchased a new 2014 Tangerine Pearl Limited w/moonroof/nav & like so many others have commented before, the "upgraded" nav/stereo leaves much to be desired. I am really surprised on how slooooow it is browsing for music. I have to admit I am a bit spoiled with my previous radio (in my prior car) which was a Sony DSX-S300BTX (Mechless - as in no CD -single din).

All of my music resides on multiple USB keys, and some folders have over 1500 mp3's. I was disappointed that the NAV unit can only read 250 files per directory, and I'm out of luck to play any other mp3 above 250 in that folder.

In my search for a new headunit, I have come across the new Clarion 2014 headunits which is more fully featured than the factory NAV unit. More info about them here:

http://www.technologytell.com/in-car...lligent-voice/

------------
The Clarion head units videos are demo'd in a Subaru Crosstrek:

NX404

NX603 (last years model - but shows you what the new NX604 will look like)

-------------------

I am personally looking at either the NX404 or the FX504 (mechless - as I have no need for a CD/DVD). Unfortunately, it does sound like it is a bit more work than just buying the new models and hooking them up (Axxess Interface ASWC, etc.). I found more info about the new Clarion on another forum here (interesting tidbit - the forum user states it was his Crosstrek used in the above videos):

http://www.subaruxvforum.com/forum/i...premium-2.html

Anyone on this forum purchase a new Clarion as a replacement or can recommend another head unit WITHOUT needed the Axxess interface?

Pancho

Old 03-24-2014, 06:04 PM   #2

My Vehicle: 2014 XV Crosstrek
Default Re: Clarion 2014 AfterMarket HeadUnits

i have the nx404 installed on my car. (2014 premium with updated kicker tweeter and speakers)
navigation works great. music quality improved obvioiusly since it comes amp'd.
lost access to steering wheel controls bc i didn't buy the optional stuff that enables them. didn't want to spend more money.
have tried USB, Bluetooth, iPhone/iPod, and Pandora. All work great producing good music.
I have USB (16gig) connected with about 500 songs in them. The system seem to retrieve and find songs fast enough. Almost instant i think.
It does take time to load (about 5-10 secs) when you first start the car and it connects to USB.
Bluetooth for phone works but sounds horrible so i stopped using it. It's the only thing i missed from my old speaker bc bluetooth worked great with it.

paid $80 for installation and paid $525 for unit on amazon on sale.
all in all, decent $600+ investment.

(it's not letting me attach the pic for some reason).
if you really want the pic of it, i can email them to you.

powerbook76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 09:30 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerbook76
i have the nx404 installed on my car. (2014 premium with updated kicker tweeter and speakers)
navigation works great. music quality improved obvioiusly since it comes amp'd.
lost access to steering wheel controls bc i didn't buy the optional stuff that enables them. didn't want to spend more money.
have tried USB, Bluetooth, iPhone/iPod, and Pandora. All work great producing good music.
I have USB (16gig) connected with about 500 songs in them. The system seem to retrieve and find songs fast enough. Almost instant i think.
It does take time to load (about 5-10 secs) when you first start the car and it connects to USB.
Bluetooth for phone works but sounds horrible so i stopped using it. It's the only thing i missed from my old speaker bc bluetooth worked great with it.

paid $80 for installation and paid $525 for unit on amazon on sale.
all in all, decent $600+ investment.

(it's not letting me attach the pic for some reason).
if you really want the pic of it, i can email them to you.
Can I ask how much it would've cost to get the extra equiptment that made the stearing controls funtion?
btoeps74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2014, 10:47 PM   #4

My Vehicle: 2014 XV Crosstrek

i think crutchfield.com listed them as $69.99 and $79.99.
depending on which reviews you read, seems like they aren't 100% in working for our car though.
i am not entirely sure since i did not purchase the item.

also i dont think u retain ALL the functions but lose some functions regardless whether you have the extra item or not.
powerbook76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 07:42 PM   #5

My Vehicle: 2013 XV - Tangerine dream

I have the Pioneer avh-x8500bts head unit and used "PAC SWI-RC". Installed it myself, works perfectly. Retained all controls from the steering wheel.