Custom fiberglass project for a subwoofer. - Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums
Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums

Old 04-19-2014, 02:35 AM   #1

My Vehicle: 2013 XV - Tangerine dream
Default Custom fiberglass project for a subwoofer.

Sooo. I finally installed my Polk Audio components in both front and rear(Yes, I drilled holes for the tweeter in the rear doors.) Installed a new Pioneer head unit ADV-8500 bhs or something like that. And the Alpine pdx-v9 amp. 100 watts to the speakers and 500 to the sub.

Sub is getting fiberglassed tomorrow into one of the rear corners of the car. I'll make that determination tomorrow. I'm installing a 10inch Kicker CompRt shallow sub. Handles 600 rms watts. Here's a little pic comparing the size to older 12inch Alpine Type R sub(which handles 1000 rms).

And here's an awesome write up I found, on how to do the fiberglass project.
http://chris.pfharlock.com/glass/index.htm

More pics tomorrow on the progress.

Advertisement

Old 04-21-2014, 03:17 AM   #2

Default Re: Custom fiberglass project for a subwoofer.

All taped up. I went with the passenger side rear corner.

And here it is glassed. It was easy it pull out and no mess left in my car. Except for the smell. Easter Sunday I drove around with the windows all down.

Next, I'm going to mount the wire terminals and start glassing the woofer ring in the front.
Old 04-21-2014, 02:58 PM   #3

My Vehicle: '14 Subaru XV Crosstrek Limited

+1

I am having trouble pulling the stereo trigger on the XV. I think its just old age. I may just let it stay stock and live vicariously through you all.
VXSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2014, 06:32 PM   #4

My Vehicle: 2013 XV Crosstrek Limited CVT- Satin White Pearl

What did you use for the mold release? How will it stay attached to the XV when its complete? Nice job, cant wait to see it finished.
Old 04-22-2014, 06:05 AM   #5

My Vehicle: 2014 Subaru Crosstrek XV Black

Sounds awesome, Im jealous
Old 04-26-2014, 05:40 PM   #6

Thought about doing the same thing. I have an 8" Sundown Audio sub on the way that'll be powered by a Rockford Fosgate amp pushing 650ish RMS. The sub only needs .25^3 for a sealed enclosure. Never messed with fiberglass before. Are you doing a MDF face or will it be 100% fiberglass?
Nubster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 06:59 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by VXSS
+1

I am having trouble pulling the stereo trigger on the XV. I think its just old age. I may just let it stay stock and live vicariously through you all.
I said I was too old to go through all of this install to my wife and yet. I'm almost done with it.
Old 04-30-2014, 07:10 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by coletrain
What did you use for the mold release? How will it stay attached to the XV when its complete? Nice job, cant wait to see it finished.
I just used the blue painter's tape and regular masking tape for the rubber mat, no release agent. It released fairly easy with some tugging. I couldn't get all the tape off the back of the fiberglass mold, so I used "Goo-Gone" to take off the stickiness of the tape. Worked good, just messy.

I have a back net and the anchor is in the back bottom of the mold just above the mat edge. I was going to secure the mold to that point. Should work well.

This weekend I'll be finishing it, I hope. Pics at that time.

Thanks.
Old 04-30-2014, 07:20 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nubster
Thought about doing the same thing. I have an 8" Sundown Audio sub on the way that'll be powered by a Rockford Fosgate amp pushing 650ish RMS. The sub only needs .25^3 for a sealed enclosure. Never messed with fiberglass before. Are you doing a MDF face or will it be 100% fiberglass?
That'll work very nicely, to be honest I think a 12" would even work in that spot. While still saving a ton of trunk space over the Subaru's option. I was really surprised how my 10" sub fit in that corner.

Mine will be 100% fiberglass. Well except for the MDF mounting ring for the sub, of course. After doing the mold handling the front part will be far easier. Cause it won't be in the car. I'm putting black carpet on it once the shape is done.

By the way the grills of the Kicker subs are plastic, now. So stupid, I think.
Old 05-07-2014, 08:12 PM   #10

Okay got some more pics of the process. I'm finally done with the messy resin.

Trimmed up...

The back of the mold and I glassed the terminals inside the box. So it wouldn't have issues fitting in the car.

This is after the glassed fleece, this is the fiberglass mat layer.

Done with the fiberglassing, next step is to cut the hole out and apply the black carpet.