Installing a subwoofer - Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums
Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums

Old 03-18-2013, 09:05 PM   #1

My Vehicle: 2013 XV Crosstrek - CVT Premium - Desert Khaki
Default Installing a subwoofer

I'm trying to figure out my options of installing a subwoofer in an XV. I know about the Kicker sub and I was wondering if anyone had installed this.

I'm not interested in that sub but from looking at the NASIOC site, it looks like the Kicker sub comes with a wiring harness that somehow hooks to the back of the HU.

I'm hoping to get a powered sub that fits under a seat but possibly use the same connection method as the Kicker sub.

Anyone have any experience with the Kicker or adding a underseat sub? Any experience hooking up to the stock HUs?

Thanks!

Advertisement

Old 03-18-2013, 09:49 PM   #2

My Vehicle: Desert Khaki 5spd
Default Re: Installing a subwoofer

The last 'toad' I had was a Scion XB (motorhome tow-car). I installed a unit as I've pictured below, or one that looked just like it, under the passenger seat. Although it took most of the toe room for the right side back seat, it was otherwise virtually hidden. We had the car for about 3 years and it worked out just great. Never bothered the passenger either unless you cranked it full. LOL.

A powered sub either connects to a sub outlet from the HU or, you wire speaker leads though it and it takes the signal and amps the base. They are fully adjustable so that you can set where it kicks in in hertz, it's strength, and volume. Once setup it's a very nice augment to the overall sound experience. The radios that come with these cars are not all that great, so they definitely benefit from a powered sub.

It's a power hog so it needs a heavy duty lead direct from the battery with a large inline fuse. You just run a lead in thru the firewall. There is another lead on the HU that is a signal switch to power up the sub. That way it only turns on when you turn on the radio.

I was hoping to hear from someone that had installed the upgrade speakers with the 'A' radio, tell us if they're worth it or not.

IIRC this is the e-tailer I got it from, they have several styles: http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/Help/HelpContact.aspx

Desert Khaki 5pd Crosstrek - Subaru #3
CJBROWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 10:18 PM   #3

My Vehicle: Desert Khaki 5spd

Poking around online for subs and found this. Way cool...way expensive - $800
Available in ivory or black for Subaru Impreza: http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...-DG-BLACK.html

Desert Khaki 5pd Crosstrek - Subaru #3
CJBROWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2013, 10:52 PM   #4

My Vehicle: 2013 XV - Tangerine dream

This is a great topic as I was waiting the weather here to get warmer and was going to do some fiberglassing in the ol' XV. I was thinking along the lines by the wheel well. The one they sell for the XV is too expensive and takes up to much room in my opinion.
Old 03-19-2013, 07:49 PM   #5

My Vehicle: 2013 XV 2.0i 6MT Luxury

I would go for an underseat woofer. My car audio guy recommended that solution. It would need an indepent volume control though, and apparently there's no woofer out on the standard head unit :-\
Sancho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 11:13 PM   #6

My Vehicle: 2013 XV - Tangerine dream

You could connect a sound processor in between your amp(s) and the radio. Then set the crossovers and direct the lows just to the subwoofer(s). Then the bass control on the stock radio would be able to handle all bass going to just the sub.

Here's one as an example:

http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAu..._CL441dsp.aspx