Kenwood DDX470 head unit/new system install journal - Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums
Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums

Old 04-11-2014, 05:05 PM   #1

Default Kenwood DDX470 head unit/new system install journal

Another aftermarket head unit install...nothing special, just thought I'd throw up some pics and description hopefully to help someone that wants to do similar but has some questions...also to act as a journal for my stereo upgrade.

Before

Parts I used...

First, pull off the dash plate. Comes off easily. I just used my finger nails along the top and pulled straight out. The dash trim popped out with little force. Just continue working around until you get to the bottom and it's completely loose. It won't come away from the dash though. There's two wiring harnesses connected...one to the hazard light, one to the control knobs at the bottom. I disconnected the plug to the cabin controls and just flipped the whole thing up and laid it on top of the dash out of the way.

As you see, there are four screws holding the HU into the dash. Remove them. Once removed, you won't be able to pull the HU out enough to disconnect it. In the opening below the HU, you'll see a wire that's bundled up with a white piece of tape holding it together. Cut the tape allowing the wire to stretch out thus allowing removal of the HU. Pull the HU out and disconnect everything from the back.

Connect the new harness to the factory harness

Remove the mounting bracket from the factory HU. You don't have to do this. The dash kit comes with new ones but they are plastic. I opted to reuse the metal factory brackets. That does create a tiny issue that I'll talk about in a second.

(don't mind my crotch in the picture)

Nubster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2014, 05:06 PM   #2

Default Re: Kenwood DDX470 head unit install

New HU in the dash

Dash trim reinstalled

Now for the issue...the plastic bracket that is supplied with the kit connects to the new face plate that surrounds the new HU. Without using the plastic bracket, the face plate is loose and rattles around. It's secure and won't fall off, but it will rattle. I fixed that with a couple pieces of 3M double sided sticky tape.

I also didn't hook up the steering wheel control adapter. It looks like it might be a PITA and honestly, I'm not too worried about losing the controls. I'll install it at a later time. Finally, I lost my backup camera. Looks like I'll need another adapter to get it hooked up. I wasn't sure so I just took my chances and I guess I lost. I'll look into ordering one soon. The kids love the backup camera so they'll be bummed until I get it working again.
Old 04-11-2014, 05:07 PM   #3

Next up...front speaker/tweeter install. New set of Pioneer TS-D1720C components should be here today. Might try to install tomorrow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2014, 08:46 PM   #4

My Vehicle: 2013 XV Crosstrek Limited CVT- Satin White Pearl
Default Re: Kenwood DDX470 head unit/new system install journal

I wanted to try a set of Pioneer TS series but they are spendy. Let us know how they sound.
Old 04-12-2014, 02:16 AM   #5

Default Re: Kenwood DDX470 head unit/new system install journal

I got my set for $98 shipped. WAY cheaper than the upgraded Rockford Fosgate speakers and I'd bet the farm they will sound a lot better too.
Old 04-12-2014, 04:18 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nubster
Next up...front speaker/tweeter install. New set of Pioneer TS-D1720C components should be here today. Might try to install tomorrow.
Speakers arrived. I thought about installing them tomorrow but I'm going to wait until I get an amp. I ordered a Rockford Fosgate R150X2 Prime 2-Channel Amplifier. It runs 75w RMS per channel x2 which should be perfect since the components are rated at 60w RMS...so I have a little more which is better than not enough. Also ordered wiring to get it all hooked up.

Still want to deaden at least the front doors for now. I need to scrounge the money to do that now while I have the door panels off for the speakers. I hate to have to pull it off again later and risk damaging something. I'll do rear doors later. And eventually the trunk area and floors. Probably even the roof at some point. Just some CLD tiles and acoustic mat between the headliner and metal roof.
Old 03-10-2016, 07:11 PM   #7

My Vehicle: 2013 XV, ORANGE!!

Were you able to obtain an adapter so you could connect the OEM back-up camera? If so what did you use, please? Thanx!
Ironman1518 is offline   Reply With Quote