Minor iPod Nano issue - Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums
Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums

Old 03-17-2015, 03:29 PM   #1

Default Minor iPod Nano issue

Just brought my Crosstrek home yesterday and noticed a minor issue with my old iPod Nano (gen 2). I plug it in, and it works fine, I can go in and select/play playlists and stuff. I stop and shut the car off no prob, iPod stays in the center console and shuts down just fine. I come out later and start the car to go somewhere else, the system cycles through the start-up, then I get the message no media/device is connected. I open the console and check and the iPod is plugged in fine, but on the screen of the iPod it's stuck in the "disconnect" screen with the progress bar about 80% complete. I then have to hold down the center and menu buttons on the iPod to shut down and restart it, at which point it reconnects to the car system just fine again. The firmware is up to date. I have looked through the manual and see nothing relating to this. I have the 6.2 inch system in my car. Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.

Sigmund is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2015, 04:33 PM   #2

My Vehicle: 2013 XV Crosstrek - Desert Khaki - 5MT Premium

Does this happen every time, or was this one time it's happened so far?

I can't speak for certain for the nano, but my ipod classic occasionally does this as well. As far as I can tell - with the classic at least - it's a known issue with the ipod, not the car.
Old 03-17-2015, 04:38 PM   #3

So far, it's happened every time. What I have done starting this morning is, once the car is shut off, I just unplug the Nano. Then, when I get back in to go home, I'm thinking I'll just let the system boot up and then plug the Nano in and let the system recognize it again. It seems to lock up only if I've left it plugged in and then started the car with it plugged in. I guess something going on while the system is starting up is confusing the Nano.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2015, 04:41 PM   #4

My Vehicle: 2013 XV Crosstrek - Desert Khaki - 5MT Premium

That's odd. Have you checked to see that the nano is up to date on software?
Old 03-17-2015, 04:58 PM   #5

Yep, I have it plugged into the laptop as I type this Just put new music on it last week and it updates whenever I have it plugged in so I was pretty sure it was up to date.

Old 03-19-2015, 02:43 AM   #6

Same issue here but with a 4th gen. It doesn't recognize it at all.
Software up to date and new cable plugged in. I'll stick to this thread to follow up.
85efi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 11:20 PM   #7

My Vehicle: 2015 XV Crosstrek (Tangerine Orange Pearl)

I had EXACTLY the same problem. I was rebooting my old iPod every time I got into the car. I went down and bought a brand new iPod and that fixed this problem Although I no longer have your problem, I have now have others. I am beginning to really dislike the radio in my XV.

My new iPod issue is this. Whenever I come back after a while, the iPod automatically starts off on the 1st song (alphabetically) on the iPod. Every time. My old Ipod, when it was working, would start off where it left off. I am really frustrated to say the least.
N6VHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 03:10 AM   #8

I wish I could provide a solution, but I ended up just transferring my music to a USB drive and now I just use that when I'm not streaming from my phone through the Bluetooth. I don't use my ipod in the car anymore.

Old 08-25-2015, 07:25 PM   #9

I "converted" my old 16G iPhone 5 into an pseudo-iPod (wiped the phone and reinstalled iTunes) and have been using it with the XV. It seems to be working fine when connected via USB. I do occasionally get the "disconnected" message, but it recovers after about 15 seconds or so -- which seems like an eternity in the middle of a song. I can control it via the 6.5" touch screen or with the device. However, I have noticed a lag between what happens on the 6.5" system and what I tell the device to do when selecting the songs from the device. I wonder if there is a CACHE of some type that retains old data and is causing the problem on re-starts as it can't find what it was last looking for. Perhaps shutting off the iPod and then turning off the radio before shutting down the car might solve the problem? I'll try some of this and report back. In the meantime, my biggest hassle has been trying to get the XV to text with the iPhone 6.
gtshnzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 04:29 AM   #10

Left the iPod plugged in today while I went about my usual Sunday stuff. Every time the car was turned on/off I received the "white screen of death." But the music eventually rebooted on its own, just took anywhere from 10-45 seconds. The delay was variable and not related to the time intervals between restarts. Could not get the songs to randomly shuffle from the dash; would either shuffle within the album or just play them in alphabetical order from whatever song was selected. Picked shuffle mode on the phone itself, and reset it on the dash, and it worked fine. The attached error message will go away with patience. running latest iOS 8.4.1.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (48.9 KB, 3 views)
gtshnzr is offline   Reply With Quote