NAV or no NAV? -- USA prospect but appreciate all input - Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums
Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums

Old 02-05-2013, 12:14 PM   #1

Default NAV or no NAV? -- USA prospect but appreciate all input

I am considering installing the NAV in a new Crosstrek I will be purchasing, but would like opinions on whether the negatives I've seen are outweighed by positives, including the rear-vision camera and the satellite radio. I will be purchasing a Premium, not a Limited. It doesn't appear that the Premium can be fitted with the 4.3 camera/radio option without the NAV. Any USA users?

readyami is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2013, 03:37 PM   #2

My Vehicle: 2013 Crosstrek, Dark Grey Limited
Default Re: NAV or no NAV? -- USA prospect but appreciate all input

@readyami

I purchased the limited for a bunch of reasons, one of them was the fact that to get the backup camera (which I really wanted) in the premium you had to buy the factory nav. (I hate factory navs) I use my Galaxy note 2 for navigation.

I guess it depends on how much you want the factory nav and/or the backup camera.

There may be aftermarket radios that have the camera option, I would check Crutchfield. Cost wise it would probably be less expensive to get the aftermarket radio.

pa_tekrep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 03:58 PM   #3

My Vehicle: Crosstrek XV Limited, Orange

I was looking at getting the Nav system on a Premium model for the upgraded radio and back up camera too. The Nav system would have only been nice so that I don't have to take out my phone to navigate, so it wasn't that big of a deal to me. I also found out that it costs like $400 to update the nav system with the latest roads so that was not cool. Now if you are a big fan of satellite radio, maybe that is a selling point for you.

I actually wanted a CVT too, so for the price of the nav system and the CVT on a premium was almost the same price as a base model limited, and you get a few more cool features on the limited, so I ultimately just decided to go for the limited.

Are you wanting the premium specifically for the manual transmission?
Poego is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2013, 06:57 PM   #4

Actually want the Premium because I don't want leather seats (yes, there are some people! LOL)....I am probably just going to get an aftermarket stereo/camera unit in the future.
Old 02-07-2013, 03:52 AM   #5

My Vehicle: 2015 CBS WRX

Quote:
Originally Posted by readyami
Actually want the Premium because I don't want leather seats (yes, there are some people! LOL)....I am probably just going to get an aftermarket stereo/camera unit in the future.
In my opinion if you don't want the leather then go with the premium and upgrade the unit yourself. The world of aftermarket NAVs > factory NAV any day from my limited experience with them.
Old 02-07-2013, 11:59 AM   #6

Thanks for the input!
Old 04-03-2013, 02:25 PM   #7

My Vehicle: 2013 XV Crosstrek TOP

Your smartphone is better than any in-car NAV. Plus I don't like that the NAV on the XV used an SD card that can easily be stolen or lost. My iPhone has been terrific for navigation. It's a big advantage using the cell towers along with the satellites for location instead of just the SATS.
prompterbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 03:03 PM   #8

My Vehicle: Tangerine Orange Pearl 2013 CrossTrek XV - Premium w/ Nav & PP1

The NAV is ok. It can be kind of clumsy and there are definitely better aftermarket options. I hate dealing with external GPSs, cords, window attachments, etc and I didn't want to deal with installing an aftermarket head unit right off the bat so getting the Subaru option worked for me.

Also, I have to admit that I like the backup camera more than expected. It can come in handy at times.
Tangerine Orange Pearl
Premium w/ Nav & PP1
WeatherTech Digital Fit Floor Liners
Madico Charcool 35% Front Window Tint
Subaru Side Window Deflectors
Kicker Speaker Upgrade
Black Plastidip Grille and Emblems
CrossTrekFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 05:32 AM   #9

My Vehicle: 2015 CBS WRX

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrossTrekFan
The NAV is ok. It can be kind of clumsy and there are definitely better aftermarket options. I hate dealing with external GPSs, cords, window attachments, etc and I didn't want to deal with installing an aftermarket head unit right off the bat so getting the Subaru option worked for me.

Also, I have to admit that I like the backup camera more than expected. It can come in handy at times.
I know stock nav's usually aren't the best on the market, but I still like them for their convenience over using a phone. I also really like backup cameras when I've used them (I don't have the nav).
Old 04-11-2013, 02:34 PM   #10

My Vehicle: 2013 XV Crosstrek TOP

I'm awaiting delivery on my XV Limited. I was disappointed to learn that Sirius/XM only comes with NAV and not the HD radio. Since I have a Sirius account for my other car, my solution was to pay an extra $3 a month for the Sirius/XM streaming service. Now I can listen to in any car via my iPhone 5. Saving a lot of money too over a full radio account.
prompterbob is offline   Reply With Quote