Opinion of Subaru's "speaker upgrade" - Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums
Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums

Old 05-23-2014, 12:57 AM   #1

My Vehicle: '14 Crosstrek XV
Default Opinion of Subaru's "speaker upgrade"

I am very close to ordering my XV in a few weeks and I'm looking at what options are worth the money. I spend about 1.5 hours in my car everyday with my commute, so music is important for sanity maintenance. Is the "speaker upgrade" and powered sub worth the additional cost? Does it sound that much better? Should I consider just getting aftermarket stuff (and trust that those guys don't screw up the interior during the install)?

Advertisement

Old 05-23-2014, 02:58 AM   #2

My Vehicle: Subaru Crosstrek 2013 Orange, Toyota Tacoma 2005
Default Re: Opinion of Subaru's "speaker upgrade"

Do suggest to take it out on the highway to see if the road noise is acceptable.
billybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 03:27 AM   #3

My Vehicle: 2013 Crosstrek Limited, Satin White Pearl

Hi duckred,
Good question. Though the answer really is as unique as the person answering it. Many have put in other-label speaker/sound systems in their XVs (including swapping out the head unit) and they would have it no other way. To them, the sound is perfect. Others, have simply upgraded just tweeters and been very happy with that.

If it helps any, I can only attest to what I have upgraded to. Like you, I am a fan of music (as many here know, ol' granny here has more than 40,000 songs in her collection). :-) So, how good music sounds is important to me.

Now, because I tend to lean towards "Subaru or Authorized Subaru parts only, I went with the Kicker system upgrade made specifically for, and endorsed by Subie. I did this because I did not want the headache of custom wiring or cutting in to my car. The Result: Do I love it? Yep! Was it worth the upgrade cost? Absolutely! Have I ever, for one minute wished I had gone with a different system? Nope!

Hope that helps a bit. If you get in to the Kickers, you have a choice of 2 different subs. One installs in the rear hatch area, the other is a hideaway that goes under the front seat. I chose the rear-hatch area as it provided the cleanest sound and has best acoustic sound-bounce back there (hatch space was not an issue for me as I don't store anything back there anyway). Be advised, the Kicker sub is no fool. It will bump you out of the car if you're not careful. LOL. But, you'll know which of your music genre sound better at which base level, you can preset EQs for those and you're set (ol' granny here happens to like bumpin' music anyway) :-)

As you research, think about more than just "how good it sounds", since that's a scale that is different for every human. Instead, *also* think about how the system installs (is it made for Subie plug and play or will it require digging into and re-routing any wiring)? Does it's output mesh well with the stock head unit? Does the new system require you cut in to anything to get speakers to fit or to make sure they don't rattle? If doing custom installs, how much more will that add to the cost? Many here have had much success with all different kinds of system. Check out the board, research those a bit and see what you come up with.

Bottom line... I bet anything you put in is better for your music than not upgrading at all. :-)

Have fun and enjoy.
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2014, 03:12 PM   #4

My Vehicle: XV Crosstrek CVT Limited w/ Nav+Moonroof

I have the Kicker tweeter and 4 door speakers installed. The tweeters made the biggest difference. The Kicker door speakers are a great upgrade as well, just not as much as the tweeters. I do like that I can keep my volume lower with the Kicker's instead of having to crank it up with the old factory speakers.

I have the Nav unit and with the EQ set just right, I can rattle my rear view mirror, side view mirrors, and eyeballs without having the sound distort on me which I couldn't do with the stockers. Not as "bassy" as a sub, but plenty enough for my collection of rock music haha.

I'd check Ebay for a deal on the speakers and install them yourself, super simple and could save you some cash.

Turkeytoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 05:17 PM   #5

My Vehicle: Subaru Crosstrek 2013 Orange, Toyota Tacoma 2005

Being new to speakers, could you post the part or part number of these non OEM Kicker tweeters? Thx
billybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 04:30 AM   #6

My Vehicle: 2014 Subaru Crosstrek XV Black

I haven't upgraded my speakers yet but I'm def. planning on it, especially the tweeters. But kicker IMO isn't that good and I'm going a different route but the money that Subaru wants for them is insane compared to what quality you can get for way cheaper. The door panel are super easy to get off and I'm sure a speaker swap can be done in about 30 minutes all around. just my 2 cents
Old 05-27-2014, 06:31 PM   #7

My Vehicle: 2013 XV - Tangerine dream

Just curious is the Kicker versions of the subwoofer, sealed or ported? I opted for a complete custom install, including a fiberglassed sub(Sealed) in the back. All of which I did myself, which was fun. It sounds amazing.

Old 06-06-2014, 08:36 PM   #8

My Vehicle: 2013 XV Crosstrek Limited CVT- Satin White Pearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by igotteets
but the money that Subaru wants for them is insane compared to what quality you can get for way cheaper.
this. aftermarket polk, infinity, alpine, ect will be better for cheaper.