Overlooked Audio Settings (Nav Radio) - Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums
Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums

Old 08-15-2013, 10:06 PM   #1

My Vehicle: 2013 XV Crosstrek Ltd, Tangerine Orange Pearl
Default Overlooked Audio Settings (Nav Radio)

I just wanted to share something that I recently discovered in hopes that someone else here might benefit from it...
When I drove my Crosstrek off the lot, one of the first things I did was go into the audio settings and tweak the EQ settings, balance, and fader until the audio sounded better. And like (I'm guessing) others, that was the last time I ventured into that screen, thinking all was as it should be.
Well, yes and no. I recently read the manual that comes with the nav radio unit, and discovered that you have to make those changes to EVERY audio source. In other words, if you were listening to FM radio when you made your adjustments, you then have to go into SAT, CD, Bluetooth, iPod, etc and make the same changes there. The settings you initially applied to the FM will NOT be applied to audio from the other sources. I discovered that the EQ was off in all other sources, and the fader/balance settings were present in some of them, but NOT all. Once I went through and adjusted things, the audio sounded a little bit better in that the EQ and such was finally working.
I have owned primarily GM vehicles since 1992 and cannot remember any other head unit, either stock or aftermarket where I had to do this, as all of the audio settings were applied across the board on all outputs. So while in this case, perhaps I was just not very observant, but it seems a bit odd to me that the radio is programmed in this manner. And while I still think that the OEM speakers are pretty bad, fixing the EQ settings does help the situation a bit.
Hopefully this will help someone else out with their audio...

Advertisement

Old 08-15-2013, 10:09 PM   #2

My Vehicle: 2015 CBS WRX
Default Re: Overlooked Audio Settings (Nav Radio)

That's good info, I wonder if it is true for the non-nav head unit as well? I guess they are trying to make it so you can fine tune each input, which I guess makes sense, but it is annoying that it's not more clear. I guess that just means we should read out manuals...ha!
Old 08-16-2013, 04:04 PM   #3

My Vehicle: 2013 XV Crosstrek Limited CVT - Crystal Black Silica/Ivory Leather/Moon/Nav

Thanks, that is very helpful! I've only really been just using my Bluetooth, but I guess I better get the best out of the free XM before it expires.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2013, 02:57 AM   #4

My Vehicle: 2013 Desert Khaki XV, Premium w/Nav

This just changed everything!

I went into settings while listening to iPod (AUX) and selected EQ setting #2. SO MUCH BETTER! I did this before while listening to SAT radio, but thought I was getting the same EQ when using AUX. Nope.
Thanks much.
Wilco1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 03:12 AM   #5

My Vehicle: 2013 XV Crosstrek Ltd, Tangerine Orange Pearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilco1973
This just changed everything!

I went into settings while listening to iPod (AUX) and selected EQ setting #2. SO MUCH BETTER! I did this before while listening to SAT radio, but thought I was getting the same EQ when using AUX. Nope.
Thanks much.
Sounds like you were in the same situation as I was...I'm happy it helped you out!
Old 08-19-2013, 03:51 AM   #6

My Vehicle: 2013 Subaru Crosstrek XV

Awesome..can't wait to try this out. I was wondering why my Bluetooth audio streamed from Pandora was sounding a bit flat..

Thanks!

BeachAV8R
BeachAV8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 01:02 PM   #7

My Vehicle: 2013 Limited Tangerine

Interesting....wish I had read this before 8hrs of pandora through my cell phone driving down to NC last week!