Screen Saver 4.3" screen - Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums
Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums

Old 12-06-2013, 04:28 PM   #1

My Vehicle: 2014 XTrek DGM Limited
Default Screen Saver 4.3" screen

I know that some people, with XV Limited models and without Nav, were looking at downloading jpegs to their head unit for use as a screensaver. A big issue that people ran into was when they downloaded the image, it would display with a black frame around it. I was also looking into making a screensaver which extended the full width and height of the screen for my xv. It took me a while but here is what I found out.

The issue is that the screen is setup as a video screen for the backup camera rather than a computer screen, therefore the scaling is different. The screen is a native 720x480 resolution in a wide 16:9 ratio, if you have the it in the NTSC setting, so the image has to be made in a wide screen format for it to recognize that it is supposed to fill in the black side bars.

In Photoshop, when you create a document from a new file, you select in the "Preset" box for Film & Video. Then for size, select image type NTSC DV Widescreen and click OK. If you create the image in this format and save it as a jpeg on a usb, you can download it to the car and select a widescreen version on the download page on the head unit. It will be squashed and leave black side bars if you select normal mode, so make sure you select the wide.

Just a note. The images are not very high resolution and you get a lot of aliasing on gradients because the display screen is NOT high resolution.

Here are a couple I made. An orange one for all you tangerines and a red to match the interior lighting. You should be able to transfer them directly your head unit. Let me know what you think or you have any suggestions.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg kcatc2.jpg (29.3 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg kcatc2rd2.jpg (20.1 KB, 29 views)

Advertisement

Old 12-09-2013, 01:23 PM   #2

My Vehicle: 2013 Limited Tangerine
Default Re: Screen Saver 4.3" screen

Thanks sadevil! And thanks for keeping us tangerine nuts in mind
Old 12-31-2013, 09:01 PM   #3

My Vehicle: 2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek Limited - Ice Silver Metallic

Thanks for the info. I've looked through the manual for the audio system (non-nav, type b) and can't figure out why I can't download a jpeg file from my USB flash drive. When I select download from the HU's interface, it says "check device" and nothing else.

Any ideas? It's a regular, FAT-formatted USB 2.0 flash drive.
32141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2014, 07:28 AM   #4

My Vehicle: 2014 XTrek DGM Limited

Quote:
Originally Posted by koneill
Thanks for the info. I've looked through the manual for the audio system (non-nav, type b) and can't figure out why I can't download a jpeg file from my USB flash drive. When I select download from the HU's interface, it says "check device" and nothing else.

Any ideas? It's a regular, FAT-formatted USB 2.0 flash drive.
Have you been able to play music from via USB? I had a similar issue where it wouldn't read and it turned out to be that the USB jack wasn't connected to the system. If that's not the issue, make sure it's FAT 32 formatted. The system is kinda quirky at best. :-\