Shape of Aftermarket HU vs. Shape of 2015 Dash - Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums
Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums

Old 02-22-2015, 04:42 PM   #1

My Vehicle: '15 XV Crosstrek Hybrid, Plasma Green Pearl
Default Shape of Aftermarket HU vs. Shape of 2015 Dash

Hi. I'm new here. Planning on buying an XV and have some questions about the upgrade-ability of the "infotainment system" (hate that term). I expect to have this car for a while and want to know what I'm getting myself into.

I have two main questions.

1. Subaru map updates are stupid expensive. And from what I can tell, Subaru doesn't even offer any sort of "lifetime maps updates" which I could try to negotiate into the purchase price. So, I can only imagine that sooner or later (probably sooner) I will want to replace the head unit. My question is this... aftermarket head units seem to be a standard rectangular shape. From what I've seen, the 2013 (and I think 2014) XVs have a similar shape (see first picture below) so it doesn't seem like there are any fit issue. The unit on the 2015 XVs is more trapezoidal (see second picture below). So the question is how does one go about replacing something like that, when the shapes are different? And wont it look funny?
Standard Shape:

Irregular Shape:

2. My other question relates to Android Auto. I'm pretty excited about Android Auto and I know Subaru has attached themselves to it but it's not yet available. I know it is already available in some 3rd party head units which I could maybe look into (see first question, above, though). But, I'm considering the following hypothetical and want to know if I'm crazy...
So let's say the 2016 (or 2017) XVs come out and Subaru has integrated Android Auto. Assuming that the general shape of the console has not changed, would it be feasible to install a 2016 (or 2017, etc.) head unit into a 2015? And if so, how hard would it be to get one's hands on an OEM head unit?

Sorry in advance if these are stupid questions. I imagine similar problems exist on most cars so these are probably not Subaru-specific questions. But I plan on having my car for a while and just want to know what my options might be. My current car is a 2006 and has a pretty dated HU, but I've never forayed into the aftermarket scene. I know a bit about what is available (because I'm into technology) but know absolutely zero about the intricacies of installation.

Thanks in advance.

demarcmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2015, 12:36 AM   #2

My Vehicle: 2014 XV Premium Venetian Red CVT
Default Re: Shape of Aftermarket HU vs. Shape of 2015 Dash

Crutchfield or your local car audio emporium would have an installation kit (or will have soon) so the dash shape would have minimal impact upon head unit choice. Compatibility with steering wheel controls is another aspect to consider.
Old 02-24-2015, 02:22 AM   #3

My Vehicle: '15 XV Crosstrek Hybrid, Plasma Green Pearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taste4it
Crutchfield or your local car audio emporium would have an installation kit (or will have soon) so the dash shape would have minimal impact upon head unit choice. Compatibility with steering wheel controls is another aspect to consider.
Ah I see. So they make car-specific kits to fit the rectangular head units in whatever shape your car might have. Thatbmales sense.

Now what about that other question. Has anyone ever heard of putting a different model year's OEM unit into a vehicle? And is it even possible to buy OEM head units?
demarcmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2015, 02:46 PM   #4

My Vehicle: 2014 XV Premium Venetian Red CVT

As long as the wire harness is compatible with the older head unit, it shouldn't be an issue. Check out this forum or eBay for take out units.
Old 02-25-2015, 03:26 AM   #5

My Vehicle: 2014 Subaru Crosstrek XV Black

the new 15' head unit looks really nice, but if you're looking into switching head units it'll probably be a little while before a compatible one is released. I know a bunch of people on here have aftermarket stereos but I've heard that its a pretty expensive switch. Could be wrong though
Old 04-13-2015, 05:38 AM   #6

You can buy the 2013-2014 center radio bezek to install a standard size headunit
Mauldin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 01:35 PM   #7

My Vehicle: 2014 XV Crosstrek Premium Black
Talking

2012-Subaru-Tribeca-SUV-3.6R-Premium-4dr-All-wheel-Drive-Interior-Stereo-Controls.png.jpg

Be thankful you don't have the stereo out of the Tribeca. Luckily its a half-decent unit.
Old 04-13-2015, 02:17 PM   #8

Brian at autoharnesshouse.com can build you a custom harness to install almost any headunit. I purchased an OEM nav headunit on eBay for $350 and spent another $150 on XM antenna, adapters and custom harness.
Mauldin is offline   Reply With Quote