Speaker upgrades and an amp? - Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums
Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums

Old 09-16-2015, 01:27 AM   #1

Default Speaker upgrades and an amp?

So the Kicker upgrade for tweeters and door speakers is about $550 and there is a local audio dealer which says he can put in 'better' speakers for the same price or about $500. He carries JL Audio speakers.

First question, are they in fact an upgrade over the Kicker set from Subaru?

Second, I've read that if you upgrade the speakers you really need an amp to push them with the stock head unit in the Limited or they will clip at higher volumes. Again, my local audio dealer is suggesting an Alpine 4 channel amp for another $100 +$100 for installation. Is this necessary? Is it a big improvement? Is this a decent price?

Thanks!

Javaslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2015, 05:58 PM   #2

My Vehicle: 2015 Crosstrek Premium 5sp

I purchased an Alpine amp (KTP-445u) on flea bay and a harness from AE64.com. Made a huge difference even with the stock (non kicker) speakers. I've since upgraded the tweeter to the kicker version and sound is pretty nice. Still muddy in mid and lows so am holding out for holiday sales on new door speakers. This is for the base 6.2 starlink radio in my 2015. Total cost for amp and harness was just over $100 and I did all the installation.
rixcross is offline   Reply With Quote