Stock head unit is slow - Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums
Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums

Old 09-04-2018, 07:19 AM   #1

Default Stock head unit is slow

Has anyone else noticed the delay? Every time I press any button on the touchscreen, I have to wait 1-2 seconds for it to respond. Even the volume knob has a small delay, of perhaps 200ms. This is on a 2018 premium model. It's very frustrating. Hopefully it can be fixed with a software update. If I buy one of these, I would have to replace the head unit right away.

llamafilm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2018, 02:01 PM   #2

Try a factory reset. My unit did this when it was new. Since then I always use the best phone cables and never plug in multiple devices.

I charge secondary devices from a lighter USB fast charger

Is yours one with NAV as well ? There’s a free map update out for that. I really can’t say what made those gremlins go away for me. I always keep my IPHONE up to date. Trying iOS beta now and liking it.
Subaruplatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 11:03 PM   #3

My Vehicle: 2018 DGM

Mine is the same way. I've updated it through the phone app, but it didn't help. It's slower that a Blackberry tablet I have from 2010.

Getting it to read mp3's from a flash drive is a joke too. It works about 50% of the time, and stops working for no apparent reason. When it works, it's great. It reads the tags and even shows the embedded album art. But then you stop and start the car and it will just say "loading media..." and never do anything. You have to unplug and re-plug the flash drive.

The only thing that works consistently is the Bluetooth. But again, using the touchscreen to scroll my contact list to make a call in the car is horribly slow.
JB1887 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2018, 10:10 PM   #4

No nav on this model. The lag has nothing to do with my phone because it's even slow to open the settings screen, change volume, etc.
Old 09-06-2018, 10:11 PM   #5

CarPlay is also disappointing. With the iPhone USB connected, music occasionally sounds crackly for a few seconds and then goes back to normal. I've used CarPlay in other cars and never had this problem.
Old 09-07-2018, 11:51 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB1887 View Post
But again, using the touchscreen to scroll my contact list to make a call in the car is horribly slow.
Why would you ever scroll through the screen to make a call? Just use your voice command button and save yourself the hassle.
dsjenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 11:53 PM   #7

It's true that the smaller head unit on the Premium and Base packages are kind of slow. It's worth getting a Limited for the 8" headunit, which works much better.
dsjenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 01:54 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjenson View Post
It's true that the smaller head unit on the Premium and Base packages are kind of slow. It's worth getting a Limited for the 8" headunit, which works much better.

Not worth it to me, I'd rather buy an aftermarket stereo. This should not be a "premium" feature.
Old 09-08-2018, 03:12 AM   #9

I’m happy with the 8 inch unit
Old 09-08-2018, 03:58 AM   #10

I’m thinking that maybe there’s more to the limited head unit. Aren’t the door speakers at least self powered.