Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

Swapping the limited head-unit into a premium?

13K views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  MackDaddy1962 
#1 ·
Hi All,

I recently purchased a 2013 Crosstrek and love it. One of the only things that really appealed to me on the limited was the HD Radio capabilities on the head-unit, but I couldn't justify going with that trim-level for just that. Does anybody know if you can swap a limited head-unit into a premium and have all functionality still work? My gut says "sure it's gotta use the same wiring harness and everything" but you never know with this kind of stuff, it may be totally incompatible.

Thanks in advanced.

#3 ·
I did that swap about two weeks ago. I 'feel' like it has more power (no scientific data, but my ears are happier), especially with the kicker upgrade. The sound quality is so much clearer in all modes that even if it isn't much more powerful its still worth it. The HD thing is pretty cool too, never had that in a car before. Basic FM stations also sound way better on that 4.3" Limited radio as well.

#4 ·
kyakdvl said:
I did that swap about two weeks ago. I 'feel' like it has more power (no scientific data, but my ears are happier), especially with the kicker upgrade. The sound quality is so much clearer in all modes that even if it isn't much more powerful its still worth it. The HD thing is pretty cool too, never had that in a car before. Basic FM stations also sound way better on that 4.3" Limited radio as well.
About how much did it run you

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

#6 ·
kyakdvl said:
Thanks for the reply. Was the wiring the exact same (ie the harnesses could just be plugged into the limited head unit and all features worked?)

#7 ·
miadsphere said:
Thanks for the reply. Was the wiring the exact same (ie the harnesses could just be plugged into the limited head unit and all features worked?)
Completely plug and play. No changes necessary at all.

Johnpaulattard88 said:
And are you guys talking about upgrading to the GPS touch screen radio from the basic

Talkin' about the 4.3 non nav, no touch. I think the Nav one has a different dash bezel, and probably a GPS antenna somewhere. Probably a much different swap.

#12 ·
I got mine off eBay.... and it was a lot. $600.... I've seen them on there for 450 - 1200 and they seem to sell no matter the price eventually. I wish I would have gotten one for $450. There are some Chinese ones that people on Subaruxvforum are buying for like $150 but they lack HD radio since such a thing doesn't exist in China.

I bet MacDaddy got a pretty damn good deal since he bought it from a forum member instead of ebay. I think $600 was a lot, but I prefer the stock look and feel and didn't mind paying for the extra usefullness and sound quality. My wife think's I'm an idiot of course.

#13 ·
kyakdvl said:
I got mine off eBay.... and it was a lot. $600.... I've seen them on there for 450 - 1200 and they seem to sell no matter the price eventually. I wish I would have gotten one for $450. There are some Chinese ones that people on Subaruxvforum are buying for like $150 but they lack HD radio since such a thing doesn't exist in China.

I bet MacDaddy got a pretty damn good deal since he bought it from a forum member instead of ebay. I think $600 was a lot, but I prefer the stock look and feel and didn't mind paying for the extra usefullness and sound quality. My wife think's I'm an idiot of course.
Sorry for all the questions. What did you pay for the search title: just Limited xv head unit?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.