The $20 tweeter upgrade! - Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums
Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums

Old 09-03-2013, 05:57 PM   #1

My Vehicle: 2013 XV Crosstrek Limited CVT- Satin White Pearl
Default The $20 tweeter upgrade!

OK, so I am a cheap ba$tard and I wanted new tweeters. So I give you the $20 tweeter upgrade!

I started by looking at the stock tweeter and determined that it has an impedence of 6 ohms. Most aftermarket car audio tweeters are designed to be used with an amplifier and are 4 ohms. I replaced the stock door speakers with a 4 ohm Polk DXI650 and wanted to replace the tweeters with new ones with the same 6 ohm impedance to keep the draw on the stock head unit amp the same or close to stock. I dont know the stock door speaker impedance, so definitely didnt want to increase the load any further by using 4 ohm tweeters..

My reasoning: Polk DXI650 (4 Ohm load) + Polk DB1001 (4 ohm load) = 2 Ohm load at the amp. This MAY overdrive the amp and cause overheating or possibly failure....therefore...

Polk DXI650 (4 ohm load) + Dayton Audio ND16FA-6 (6 ohm load) = less load or same as stock load at the amp when compared to all other 4 ohm tweeters.

Armed with this info, I searched for tweeters with 6 ohm impedance, that had good reviews, and were CHEAP! I came up with the Daytons here...

Dayton Audio ND16FA-6 5/8" Neodymium Dome Tweeter 275-025

Then I needed to block the lower frequency sound going to them with a simple inline crossover- a non polarized capacitor. This cap will cutoff the sound below approximately 4khz when placed inline on the positive lead (according to partsexpress tech forum- props to those guys and their audio knowledge)

6.8uF 100V Non-Polarized Capacitor 027-336

Total comes out to $20.46!! (plus shipping, of course)

Here are the tweeters, caps, and the stock tweeter.

close up of the dayton tweeter- It is a silk dome style and sounds way better than cheap paper cones.

Now the install!

Remove old tweet

Give the new tweeter a test fire!

Sounds good, time to make things permanent. I soldered the caps in-line on the positive lead. Then shrinkwrapped the connections.

A little more for protection:

Now I hacked up the old tweeter and stripped everything off of its metal frame. You basically pry off the magnet and all the other plastic peices. then I add some sound dampening material to the frame. This is not really necessary but then I thought of a way to use it as a mounting plate!

stick some material to the frame, lay the tweeter on the FatMat and trace around it. Cut a hole with a razor blade.

Press fit the tweeter.

INSTALL!! I used spade connectors that I had to modify to fit the stock connector.

here is the wiring I used. couldnt find anything on tweeter polarity so I used the leads with red as positive (makes sense but not sure if correct). The foam wraps around the plug and connections to help keep them secure and to eliminate rattles.

Boom. How you like that?

Too shiny, added foam for appearance.

Snap the grill back in place and repeat the process for the other side. The passenger side had a red wire too so again I used that for positive.

THESE SOUND GREAT! You can now actually hear sound from the tweeters. I had to dial the trebel to +5 and sometime +8 on the stock tweeters just so I could hear they were even playing. I have the trebel set flat to zero with the Dayton audio tweeters. There is a more airy sound and wider sound stage and stero image. You definitly know theres an upgrade there. They sound greatand more accurate to my ears, but might be a tad bright, so I may tweek the trebel settings. HUGE bang for the buck!!! I'll put them up against the kickers anyday.

Advertisement

Old 09-03-2013, 10:21 PM   #2

My Vehicle: XV Crosstrek Sport CVT - Tangerine Orange Pearl
Default Re: The $20 tweeter upgrade!

Nice writeup! Thanks for sharing.
jamesxv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 03:45 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesxv
Nice writeup! Thanks for sharing.
Thank you jamesxv!
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2013, 12:53 AM   #4

My Vehicle: 2013 Subaru Crosstrek XV Limited 5 spd

I was curious if you think the placement with these tweeters could be improved. Do they roll up the windshield good or would an a-pillar pod be better? Im debating on pulling off the a-pillars and doing some fiberglass work to blend in some pods, maybe even a 3way setup (doubtful).
Bakkoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 03:33 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakkoda
I was curious if you think the placement with these tweeters could be improved. Do they roll up the windshield good or would an a-pillar pod be better? Im debating on pulling off the a-pillars and doing some fiberglass work to blend in some pods, maybe even a 3way setup (doubtful).
In all honesty, yes, the stock position of the tweeters is not ideal. I would much prefer to have them aiming directly at me than firing upward and reflecting off the windshield. I did not want to take it to the next level and do a custom hole somewhere else like the a-pillar but placing them there or the top of the door panel would probably be better for imaging and timing. You might even have to attenuate the tweeter a little in those positions. A sail panel position would be ideal IMO, but we dont have a sail panel on our doors. The sound of these really does "roll up" as you say. The higher frequency sound is right out in front of you. The soundstage is in the upper mid cabin now versus lower cabin when using stock tweets (or no tweets at all). I am very pleased. I was even thinking of trying some high end caps to see if they can get even better. I wish you could hear it!

whatever you decide, let me know how it goes.
Old 11-21-2013, 04:13 PM   #6

My Vehicle: 2013 Crosstrek, Black 5 sp.

We have some really creative, smart people on here....nice job and display Coletrain 8)
Old 11-21-2013, 04:40 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by coletrain
whatever you decide, let me know how it goes.
Im pretty skilled with fg and filler. the texture on the a-pillar isnt all that detailed so plasti dipping/painting it probably wont look to bad. I had looked into making some small pods and putting them at the very top of the pillar and pointing to the middle of the stage.

I am in the process of buying a 4 channel amp, some polk 2 way components for the front and some coaxials for the rear. I will probably try the tweeters on the dash to begin with but leave enough wire to move them if i feel the need.

I had "borrowed" a pair of focal super tweeters from a friend but found them far too harsh on my ears so I dont see the need for pillar placement if the sound is acceptable to me. Im not a huge audiophile, in fact I enjoy the DIY aspect of this stuff more than anything.
Old 11-22-2013, 03:25 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakkoda

I will probably try the tweeters on the dash to begin with but leave enough wire to move them if i feel the need.

I had "borrowed" a pair of focal super tweeters from a friend but found them far too harsh on my ears so I dont see the need for pillar placement if the sound is acceptable to me. Im not a huge audiophile, in fact I enjoy the DIY aspect of this stuff more than anything.
Yeah, I would start using the stock location too....less work. Then expirement from there. I love the DIY stuff too! Have fun with it!
Old 12-10-2013, 01:22 PM   #9

Small update: I very possibly could be getting a set of Polk SR6500s for downright dirt cheap. If this is the case I will be making pods because the tweeters prefer to be on axis. I will test them in the stock location but my plan is to make pods. Ill update when I find out.l