Tweeter wiring harness - Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums
Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums

Old 01-13-2016, 11:40 PM   #1

My Vehicle: 2014 Subaru Crosstrek XV Black
Default Tweeter wiring harness

I'm looking for some quick info on swapping out my tweeters for something a lot better. I saw a video online about how easy it is to do, in the video he was upgrading to the Kicker tweeters that Subaru works with. The wiring harness was just a plug and play so it made it even easier but I don't want Kicker products so I'm wondering if all the tweeters come with just a plug and play harness or will I need to be a wire kit. Any help would be appreciated.

Advertisement

Old 02-25-2017, 12:57 PM   #2

You do not need a wiring kit. The factory tweets have a capacitor attached to the back, in a plastic bracket, held on by 3 small plastic clips, and some silicone, or glue.
if you take your time, they are easy to remove from the tweeters.
you will cut your other wire, and simply solder another onto the side of the cap that feeds the speaker, now you can wire this short harness to your aftermarket tweeter, and simply plug it in at the factory harness.
Rrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 07:07 PM   #3

Is there any potential downsides to using the crossover from the factory tweeter? I'm looking to install some Polk DB1001's, and would like to just pop the factory tweeter off and use the factory crossover, like you're saying here.
jnsanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2017, 11:33 PM   #4

Well, The Polks come with an in-line crossover. It is possible that going to a different brand, other than the Kicker/Subaru upgraded tweeters may not work out so well. The Polks MAY have a higher crossover point on theirs.
Im only saying this because the factory tweeter is a 2" model, which stands to reason they can use lower crossover frequencies.
You can play on the safe side, and install 2" full range drivers like I did, with no crossovers. I believe Mine were only $32 each, or something like that.
Upside to it is it pulls some of your lower midrange frequencies up high on the dash, and plants your soundstage right up there where you want it.
https://www.parts-express.com/peerle...ofer--264-1046
Old 03-21-2017, 11:47 PM   #5

Wow, didn't think about that before. My current plan is to put Polk DB651's all around and the DB1001's in the dash. I imagine that will be quite heavy on the highs. Those 2" full range drivers may add more to the sound.

What is the rest of your setup, Rrizz? Wondering if I may do those instead.

I've got the 2017 Crosstrek Limited with Nav. Plan on adding Alpine KTP-445U for the speakers, and a powered amp as well. Just starting with the speakers for now.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
Old 03-21-2017, 11:53 PM   #6

And how the heck did you mount those 2" woofers up there?

Old 03-21-2017, 11:56 PM   #7

Nothing fancy in this car. This is my DD. But I also put a pair of scanspeak woofers in the doors.
All running off factory power.
My other ride, however, is full blown.
Old 03-21-2017, 11:58 PM   #8

Mounts were easy. Trace old tweeters onto 1/8" plywood, cut hole in center for new drivers, mount on bottom of plywood, and screw right in.
Old 03-22-2017, 12:09 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrizz View Post
Nothing fancy in this car. This is my DD. But I also put a pair of scanspeak woofers in the doors.
All running off factory power.
My other ride, however, is full blown.
Isn't the DD the one you want with the best system?! That's the case for me haha. Do you have an amp running all this?

I'm thinking those 2" woofers are going to sound better in the dash than the Polk tweeters, especially since my four main speakers all have built in tweeters. Wish it was easier to try before you buy!

Old 03-22-2017, 12:22 AM   #10

No, I compete with my other car in Meca SQ. No amp in the subject YET
I did forget to mention the pioneer powered sub under the driver's seat, though. That has an amp built in.