Upgrading the audio system - Got a second opinion - Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums
Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums

Old 07-19-2013, 12:24 PM   #1

My Vehicle: 2013 XV 2.0i 6MT Luxury
Default Upgrading the audio system - Got a second opinion

Had an interesting talk with a professional car audio dealer today.

I went to inquire about upgrading the XV's speakers and installing an underseat woofer.
He told me the speakers don't need upgrading as they are actually quite good (he sat in the car and listened at a serious volume) and upgrading them would only make a marginal difference.
He also said the underseat sub would give little to no result and he advised I go with an install in the trunk. As I really need my cargo space, he recommended a Pioneer powered woofer that fits inside the spare wheel.

Gave me some food for thought, as it's almost diametrically opposed to what the other car audio guy I've used before has said...

Sancho is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2013, 01:15 PM   #2

My Vehicle: 2013 Subaru Crosstrek Premiun, Pearl White
Default Re: Upgrading the audio system - a professional's take

Sancho

So I upgraded my Speakers and Head Unit and I have to admit that the difference was quite evident. I wonder if maybe just changing the Head Unit would have made a difference.
I have a sub in the hatch of my car. I like the sub. What would you do with your spare? Just remove it from the car all together?
josemendez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 04:31 PM   #3

My Vehicle: 2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek, Black Premium CVT
Send a message via AIM to kyakdvl

Head unit has always made the biggest impact to me. Would the sub replace the spare tire? My mother in laws nissan rouge has a cool sub that sits on top of the spare tire in the tire well with the stock bose system she has in there... something like that, if it would fit, would be cool.

kyakdvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2013, 04:55 PM   #4

Yeah, that's the idea, to get a sub that fits inside the spare wheel. I paid extra money to get a spare wheel, no way am I going to remove it now...
He suggested this Pioneer model : http://www.pioneer.eu/uk/products/25...610A/page.html

Does anybody know if it fits?

Old 07-19-2013, 06:24 PM   #5

My Vehicle: 2013 Subaru Crosstrek Premiun, Pearl White

That is AWESOME. I need to look at those here in the US.
josemendez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 07:25 PM   #6

My Vehicle: 2013 XV Crosstrek Ltd, Tangerine Orange Pearl

I'd go find a new "professional car audio" guy. I don't doubt that the head unit is a portion of the problem, but to say the speakers are good is a travesty. I'm certainly not an expert on car audio, but I'll be darned if I can find a way to get those speakers to actually sound good, particularly in the middle ranges where they sound extremely mushy. Perhaps there is a way to do so, but so far I haven't found it. :-\
Old 07-19-2013, 08:16 PM   #7

My Vehicle: 2013 XV - Tangerine dream

Car Audio is really based on ones hearing and viewing to be honest. You can measure frequencies; but, it may sound like crap to one person and harmony to the next.

In my opinion the speakers are made better than other stock speakers I've seen. I agree the sound isn't that great. I tend to listen on volume number 25 - 30. It sounds like I'm listening to something literally under the ground.

Old 07-20-2013, 04:28 AM   #8

My Vehicle: 2013 Crosstrek Limited, Satin White Pearl

Hi Sancho,
Sounds like you're really doing your homework. But, sorry.. have to disagree with your audio-installer....
I upgraded to the Subie-Kicker tweeters, mids and subwoofer and holy moly what a difference! The sound is totally better than the stocks speakers, no doubt about it. No need to change the head unit at all. I don't use cargo space much, so I opted for the subwoofer to go in the back. Kicker now has an under-seat mount sub. But, I think that placement might muffle the sound a bit. In the back its perfect acoustics for sounds to bounce off of. Of course, music sounds are as personal as each person. So, it's really up to you.
Old 07-20-2013, 07:30 AM   #9

Well, I have to go and consult the guy I used for my last car as well. I know he has a totally different outlook on matters, one that instinctively feels more right to me...
We'll see. Around the end of the year I'll be making a decision what to do.

But I don't agree the head unit is part of the problem. The type D unit does its job just fine.
Old 07-22-2013, 08:29 AM   #10

My Vehicle: 2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek Limited Ice silver Metallic

I have to full upgrade I installed myself in mine to include the subwoofer. I recently moved the subwoofer to behind the driver seat to fit my buddy's futon and it was horrible you have to use the trunk for a sub. Second it's not hard to move and then replace the sub when you really need all your cargo space. Secondly for the price if completely upgrading everything and rewiring is not worth it not to mention voiding that part of your warranty! Granted it takes a while to get used to tuning the nav hub with the music sound I'm very impressed with the kicker upgrade!
suuichi is offline   Reply With Quote