Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

Custom Machined Offroad Rear Tow Hook

13K views 24 replies 13 participants last post by  brad605 
#1 ·
So I wanted to put a nice rear tow hook in the rear of the XV. I had seen those aftermarket "racing tow hooks", but they seemed like more of a show piece than anything.

They look pretty cheap and lacking in strength. I knew the eye hook itself was aluminum and the rest of the shank was questionable. So I set out to make my own upgraded tow hook. Something made from a stronger material, something billet steel. Something that could accept a standard D-ring shackle. So I got together with one of my buddies and we made this:

This is the 1st iteration of it. It accepts a standard 3/4" D-ring shackle.

Some pics of the prototype part installed:

Stay tuned for more progress!

See less See more
#8 ·
I dig it!

A little red or yellow plasti-dip on the D ring might look cool.

Also if you could reuse the factory knock out plate to fill the void that would be awesome. Could it be drilled out to allow the rod to pass thru?

#17 ·
I noted the factory hook in ours too, but that machined one is beautiful!
Awesome idea!

I kept my recovery kit from my Jeep, which includes a pair of D-Rings.
If my factory hook isn't painted I'll have to paint it black if the D-ring fits it.

I have a buddy who is into machining, so a custom one of my own might be possible too!
If it happens I'll post pics here.

#20 ·
The thing I keep thinking about is drilling out the cover to fit the piece semi-permanently (or find a spare one to mod) for the perfect finished look.
Maybe a lock nut to secure it in place?

As long as it's understood that this mod is mostly aesthetic, having these installed front and rear would be a super-awesome accompaniment to the rally cross theme some folks are going with on their Crosstreks.

I showed my buddy this thread. He's into it.
I plan on copying your idea sir! A pair of these is an excellent upgrade from the single factory one with no shackle.
And if I can find an extra cover I may try my idea too just as a proof of concept, although I don't have plans to doll mine up that way at the moment.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.