If a plug-in version of the XV Crosstrek Hybrid were released, would you consider it? - Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums
Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums

Go Back   Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums > Club Crosstrek Community > Crosstrek Hybrid Topics

Old 09-22-2015, 12:58 AM   #1
Site Team

My Vehicle: 2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek 5MT
Question If a plug-in version of the XV Crosstrek Hybrid were released, would you consider it?

I've generally been very stubborn and stuck with manual transmissions the past 7 years. But, I'm under the realization that I am now open enough to accept having an automatic transmission as a daily driver.

As much as I love manual transmissions, a friend of mine brought up the topic of ICE-electric hybrids. I immediately thought of the Subaru XV Crosstrek Hybrid.

I've noticed that the Subaru XV Crosstrek Hybrid cannot utilize the HOV (Carpool) lanes in the State of California as it is not a plug-in ICE-electric (internal combustion engine-electric) hybrid. If it was offered with a plug-in version, it would qualify for the State of California's Green Clean Air Vehicle Decal, which would authorize HOV/carpool use as a solo driver.

If Subaru did offer a plug-in version of the Subaru Crosstrek Hybrid that authorized you to use HOV/carpool lanes during enforcement hours as a solo driver, would you consider purchasing and/or trading in your current Crosstrek for one?

As some of you may know, I drive 1200 miles a week. A good portion of it is stop-and-go traffic on my way home. I used to be stubborn and not value fuel efficiency, but as I have quickly found out, fuel efficiency is massively important on such a long commute.

Not only that, because of the long commute, flying past most traffic legally in the HOV/carpool has been something I've been unable to do in my 5MT gasoline-only Crosstrek when enforcement hours of the HOV/carpool lanes begin.

Although I have done a lot to my Crosstrek and am very attached to it, I would seriously consider trading in my current Crosstrek for a Crosstrek Hybrid if it retains the fun-to-drive nature, competent handling, class-leading off-road capability, and reasonably-good fuel economy.

Ideally, I would love to have both but I am currently not in a position to have a gasoline and ICE-electric version at once.

AWDfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2015, 08:50 AM   #2

If I was in your situation, I would seriously consider it. I would have to find the right balance between paying extra for the hybrid option and what the payback time would be (which wouldn't be worth it based on that fact alone IMO) and the time I would potentially save on the commute.

Have you considered moving closer to where you work? LOL
Old 09-23-2015, 04:23 PM   #3

My Vehicle: 2014 XV Crosstrek Premium Black

At 1200 miles a week I would seriously consider a Chevy Volt or something more purpose-built for high-economy highway miles.

Any Subaru with ground clearance is going to struggle with aerodynamics and AWD is just unnecessary weight/friction in a highway scenario.

Maybe a plug-in Impreza or Legacy if you must have AWD but if you must have ground clearance as well I'd have a Volt for the day to day stuff and an off roader for the weekends.

But to sum up: I guess an Xtrek plug-in would do a better job of mixing the two than anything else available.
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2015, 12:18 AM   #4
Site Team

Did the calculations, and hypothetically, my break-even point would be somewhere around 3-4 years if I had purchased the 2015 model year Subaru XV Crosstrek Hybrid instead.

I've been commuting to school with my mega-commute for almost a year now. Long story short, it's more optimal for me to live in the SF Bay Area with my current situation than to move to the school's metropolitan area.

A purpose-built vehicle for MPG would be optimal, but I am an extreme Subaru fanatic that (as you can already tell) is also very stubborn.

It's a bit unfortunate that high ground clearance and AWD, traits that I desire, detract from good MPG.

And that is indeed the conclusion I came to, that a plug-in version of the Crosstrek Hybrid would best suit my needs. My pipe dream would be a manual transmission version of the Crosstrek Hybrid, but I know all too well that is an impossible dream for a factory-built vehicle.

I think at this point in my life, I'll stubbornly stick with my gasoline-only manual transmission Crosstrek until I have sufficient income to get a potential plug-in hybrid version of the Crosstrek (and my eventual purchase of a third vehicle, a Subaru Forester XT for all-purpose weekend fun vehicle).

As for the original topic at hand, is really nobody interested in a plug-in hybrid version of the Crosstrek that could potentially offer permitted solo HOV-lane use???
Old 09-24-2015, 11:52 AM   #5

My Vehicle: 2014 XV Crosstrek Premium Black

I definitely hear you on the Subaru loyalty.

And in reality the best plug-in hybrids are still stuck around 30-50 miles of electric-only range. Once that's used up the best you can hope for is 35-40 MPG.

I still question the overall friendliness of a hybrid vehicle when you consider not only extra cost but also that lithium battery production is a filthy business.

There are sections of China and Canada that will likely be sterile for the next 10,000 years due to lithium mining.

Personally, I'd get the F out of California. That place is loco.
Old 09-24-2015, 10:31 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schonuff View Post
I definitely hear you on the Subaru loyalty.

And in reality the best plug-in hybrids are still stuck around 30-50 miles of electric-only range. Once that's used up the best you can hope for is 35-40 MPG.

I still question the overall friendliness of a hybrid vehicle when you consider not only extra cost but also that lithium battery production is a filthy business.

There are sections of China and Canada that will likely be sterile for the next 10,000 years due to lithium mining.

Personally, I'd get the F out of California. That place is loco.
Those 30-50 miles in electric only in bumper-to-bumper stop-and-go traffic would help immensely.

Although I'm no extremist environmentalist, I do wish to minimize my impact on the earth in practical manners. I'm primarily interested in the ICE-electric hybrid for the fuel economy, but I am also aware the batteries can pose an environmental problem.

And I would LOVE to get out of the state of California, but I will not have the means to do so anytime soon.
Old 09-25-2015, 04:23 PM   #7

If it had the sort of range and performance on battery that, say, the Chevy Volt does? Hell yes. It would turn my every day commute totally gas free.

And I don't even use HOV lanes on my commute.
djellison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 02:11 PM   #8

My Vehicle: 2014 XV Crosstrek Premium (red)

I am considering the new plug-in hybrid A3 from Audi...
Old 03-10-2016, 05:12 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWDfreak View Post
Although I have done a lot to my Crosstrek and am very attached to it, I would seriously consider trading in my current Crosstrek for a Crosstrek Hybrid if it retains the fun-to-drive nature, competent handling, class-leading off-road capability, and reasonably-good fuel economy.
So we had a 12 impreza and traded that in for a trek hyrid, Mainly because it included some features we wanted and retained cloth seats (we h8 leather) one of the main perks I've found aside from the mileage is around 10% more power. It was noticeable both in contrast to our impreza and to other new treks we drove. The electric motor has torque right now so off the line you feel like you are moving quicker. As far as the mileage I wasn't thinking it would be a huge deal, and out on the highway, i'm not really sure that it is. but in town, if you drive it "right" you can get ridiculous gas mileage. that's a 10-12 mile trip around town that i was able to repeatedly run the EV battery completely out. If i'd have had more of a charge it would have been 45-49. the stop and go on the expressway i'm sure this would make a 10-20% increase in fuel economy to you. which i am sure is no small amount!

Quote:
As some of you may know, I drive 1200 miles a week. A good portion of it is stop-and-go traffic on my way home. I used to be stubborn and not value fuel efficiency, but as I have quickly found out, fuel efficiency is massively important on such a long commute.
One small consideration, the hybrid tank is smaller, 13.7 vs 15 something in the regular trek. Tanks seem to last quick a bit longer for us though. our impreza was running 22-24 this winter on short trips and the trek is running 28+ during breakin

Quote:
If Subaru did offer a plug-in version of the Subaru Crosstrek Hybrid that authorized you to use HOV/carpool lanes during enforcement hours as a solo driver, would you consider purchasing and/or trading in your current Crosstrek for one?
I never would have guessed I'd buy a hybrid. While I like efficiency I've never seen a scenario where a hybrid breaks even in a reasonable amount of miles. In this case we bought more for the included features since we were getting a great trade in on our impreza and a below sticker price on the hybrid, which made it very little in price difference to a trek premium with all the things we wanted optioned in. Plus, I don't think you can get the BSD,rear radar stuff without Eyesite in the premium and while the adaptive cruise is cool the lane departure thing was too overactive for any benefit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160307_194411.jpg (89.7 KB, 7 views)
sleepy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 09:57 PM   #10
Site Team

The smaller fuel tank is indeed unfortunate, but I'm assuming that was done to make room for the batteries.

I value the additional fuel economy for the stop-and-go traffic, so refueling costs will be significantly cut compared to my current manual transmission Crosstrek. And I don't do the 1200 mile commute anymore, so there is even more stop-and-go traffic over here.

I too would love the hybrid for the additional features (like the once-exclusive quick-ratio steering for MY2014 and sport-tuned suspension), but I am disappointed that we don't get the XV Hybrid with EyeSight but Japan does