Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

Washer nozzles...

6K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  AWDfreak 
#1 ·
A niggling question to be sure, but are the windshield washer nozzles easily "aim-able"?
In my opinion, they hit the windshield a bit lower than I'd like. Unless you squirt it "just right", the stream hits BELOW the wiper and doesn't make it to the top of the windshield. Unless you squirt a few times and can get the stream above the wiper on the upstroke, it's only doing the bottom half. Especially on the passenger side.

Be gentle, it's my first question and my first Suby...

#2 ·
I've heard that washer nozzles were intended to be used at freeway speeds for maximum effectiveness. I have not verified the validity of this statement, but it makes sense to me that using it at high speeds would maximize the effect of spreading the washer fluid.

#3 ·
I'll agree with that theory, but even at highway speeds the stream is a bit weak and lower than I'd like. May need to do a bit of minor fiddling to restrict the hose to increase the pressure. When it goes in for it's first service, I'll ask about it...

#6 ·
but remember to be very careful when adjusting them. i bought my previous subie ('02 legacy) used, and the nozzles were screwed up. (i don't know if it was from an attempt to adjust them, or from aggressive ice clearing.)

the price for oem replacement parts was absolutely outrageous, but a kind and generous person sent me a couple, for free, because they were left over when he customized his car.

if you do mess them up, either find another kind and generous person, or keep in mind that the aftermarket ones, with flashing leds, will fit, even if you don't wire up the leds.

#7 ·
slightly off-topic, but...

the back up camera seems to be much more prone to dirt than the windows, partly due to its location, and partly due to its (lack of) design.

it would be great to add a little washer nozzle to it, especially since there's already a washer on the hatch, that i could tap into. functionally, it wouldn't be a problem to have it squirt every time the rear wiper does, so i wouldn't need any extra controls or power.

has anybody tried this?

#8 ·
I don't believe this has been done, but I do vaguely recall on a Subaru WRX STI forum, someone wired and re-engineered their rear washer fluid to instead spray water on the intercooler (the heat exchanger that cools the charged air from the turbocharger).

Not the same idea, but I would imagine adding an extra hose and washer dedicated to cleaning the rear camera would be a welcome modification and probably require far less work than the above idea I mentioned. If you're mechanically inclined enough to do so, I'd love to see it implemented and perhaps start a modification trend for those with the reversing camera :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.