Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Haven't bought a XV yet, but seriously considering, and my dealer thinks that you can only fit one kayak on the oem aero bars. I use Thule J hooks. I imagine that with the round crossbars it will be plenty wide enough, but looking for folks with experience hauling two kayaks. My dealer spooked me a bit.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I use the stock aero bars and Yakima J cradles. I use a fairly large kayak, the Jackson Coosa. Now, I only put one kayak on the roof, but it looks like there is plenty of room for two kayaks.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Mikey, any problems with the bow and stern tie downs rubbing that beautiful SWP paint? I didn't use them on my Xterra, but the cross bars were much beefier and when I cinched down my yaks up there they weren't going anywhere. With my XV I'm leaning towards tie downs.

I had a terrible time with the Thule j hooks not grabbing the aero bars on my wifes Outback on a trip to the 1000 islands. Heavy crosswinds, and I couldn't get them tight enough to stay put. I like the look of yours and the similar yakima big stack. Do they seem to grab the thin aero bars ok?

Thanks,

thomcad

·
Registered
23 Posts
Sorry thomcad.

I haven't had any issues with the ties on the paint. Now I've only used them a couple of times, but they were pretty decent trips the first was about an hour both ways and the other time was when I took the kayaks from NC to VA on a 5 hour trip.

I don't use them on quick trips to local spots because the straps hold the boats really well.

I haven't had any problems with them on the aero bars either. They screw pretty tight and I always make sure to give them a good deal of shaking to make sure they're tight.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hey, Wankadonkathon!

I just bought a '16 XV as a replacement for a '07 Forester. The Forester had stock aero bars and I used a set of J-lows to carry my 15-foot touring kayak. No problems at all.

I have not yet bought cross bars for the Crosstrek since it will be a few months before kayak season kicks in again. I prefer the look of the aero bars, but realize I can also use Yakima rail grabs and round bars. The round bars are rated for more weight than the aeros, but at loaded weight of 150 lbs for the aeros, I am fine even with two boats. Plus, the aeros are likely quieter at highway speeds. My Forester aeros flexed a bit, but were secure. Do you find that to be true of the crosstrek aeros?

There is nada under the crosstrek I can attach to without rubbing the paint. i will be adding a receiver hitch for my bike rack. The chain hooks will give me a cinch down point aft, but Im thinking I might install the tow hook on the front bumper and use it for the bow line. What do you do for longer hauls when you want to add security lines?

Lastly, i really want to install a spoiler but am concerned about it making it impossible to open the hatch with the boat on top. Also, if i decide to get hully rollers and cradles, im thinking the spoiler might make loading harder. Any comments about that?

Thanks!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've had two kayaks (a 13.5' Current Designs 55lb Kestrel and a friend's 11') on my 2015 Limited with the stock Aero bars using J-racks. The stock aero bars handle the weight no problem and are indeed quiet at highway speeds.

I have a 2" Curt hitch in the rear and the rubber tube/nylon straps that sandwich under the hood/fender as my tie-down points and haven't had any issues yet. I considered using the front tow hook tie-down, but the front tie-down strap ends up sitting/resting on the bumper and i'd like to avoid any wear marks in the paint. I also have a factory spoiler, and I can't open the hatch up all the way with a kayak loaded on my J-racks. I'd imagine cradles would make it almost impossible to open the hatch. I usually just put stuff i'm not going to need immediate access to in the trunk.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Yep, NYXV, that's kind of what I suspected. I couldn't open my Forester hatch either when the kayak was on top because it had a spoiler as well.

The things that concern me about the straps that slip between the hood and the fender is paint chafing in the seam and the possibility of the hood coming unlatched.

I like the look of the spoiler that I'm going to have to add one regardless!!

Thanks for your comments!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yep, NYXV, that's kind of what I suspected. I couldn't open my Forester hatch either when the kayak was on top because it had a spoiler as well.

The things that concern me about the straps that slip between the hood and the fender is paint chafing in the seam and the possibility of the hood coming unlatched.

I like the look of the spoiler that I'm going to have to add one regardless!!

Thanks for your comments!
No problem. I too am worried about damaging things using the hood straps. I'm thinking of fabricating a tie-down that stands off a bit forward and upward from the current point so that it clears the bumper.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I finally installed my factory bars and test fit my Yakima j-low kayak cradles. Discovered something i was not expecting: the front cradle grabbed the aero bars perfectly and sits level/flat on top of the bars. The rear cradle will not tighten down level and leans toward the rear hatch. This will be a big problem when trying to carry my boat! Anyone else had this problem?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Mine does the same thing Dunroven.
I'm picking up my kayak on Wednesday, so I'll let you know if it is aproblem. I imagine once the yak is seated, it's probably fine.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I think for short trips it's be fine not to, but on highways or longer drives: yes.

Honestly it's quick enough to attach them to have that extra bit of insurance should there be a strap or rack failure. You've paid a lot for your car and your yak, why chance it?

Oh and the Subaru Js on aeros where the back J leans backward... my 12 footer does not seat correctly in that J. It still strapped down and made it home fine.

I just installed a yakima sweetroll rack (fits the aeros fine) and am much happier! Bonus, my short self can now load solo!

·
Registered
50 Posts
I think for short trips it's be fine not to, but on highways or longer drives: yes.

Honestly it's quick enough to attach them to have that extra bit of insurance should there be a strap or rack failure. You've paid a lot for your car and your yak, why chance it?

Oh and the Subaru Js on aeros where the back J leans backward... my 12 footer does not seat correctly in that J. It still strapped down and made it home fine.

I just installed a yakima sweetroll rack (fits the aeros fine) and am much happier! Bonus, my short self can now load solo!
Do you have a link?

·
Registered
31 Posts
I found some thick rubber I was able to trim down to shim up the back J cradle so it sits level on the factory bars. I have Yakima J Lows and the shims work perfectly. I even used a sliver of rubber under the front cradle to level it about more. Honestly Subaru coulda/shoulda done a more thoughtful job designing the roof rack systems the Crosstrek. Elevating the rear rails just a little more to compensate for the roof slope would have made a big difference! I have loaded and carried my 15-ft touring kayaking the Crosstrek since leveling the cradles and the boat was evenly supported as it should be. Now to resolve the lack of tie down points.....C'mon, Subaru! You can do better than this!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Is there a kayak rack that will work with the stock aero bars? I am planning on putting an ocean kayak on the rack.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts