Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Symmetrical All-Wheel Drive
148-hp 2.0-liter 4-cylinder SUBARU BOXER® engine
Up to 33 mpg1
8.7 inches of ground clearance
Total of seven airbags
Flexible cargo area with:
65/35-split flat-folding rear seat
Waterproof cargo tray
Cargo tie-down hooks
Cargo-area cover
Available 5-speed manual transmission or Lineartronic® CVT with paddle shifters
17-inch aluminum-alloy wheels
Roof rails
Fog Lights

XV CROSSTREK 2.0i PREMIUM
6-speaker single-CD audio system
Bluetooth® hands-free phone connectivity
Bluetooth® audio streaming
USB/iPod® control
Cloth upholstery
Available voice-activated GPS navigation system
Available power moonroof
Available All-Weather Package: Heated exterior mirrors, heated front seats, windshield wiper de-icer
Available Lineartronic® CVT with paddle shifters

XV CROSSTREK 2.0i LIMITED includes standard features from 2.0i Premium, plus:
Leather-trimmed upholstery
Lineartronic® CVT with paddle shifters
4.3" LCD audio system w/ 6-speaker single-CD, HD Radio® and iTunes® tagging
Rear-vision camera
Automatic climate control
All-Weather Package: Heated exterior mirrors, heated front seats, windshield wiper De-Icer

Specifications
Engine: 2.0-liter SUBARU BOXER® 4-cylinder
Horsepower/Torque (lb-ft): 148 @ 6,200 rpm / 145 @ 4,200 rpm
Transmission: 5-speed manual or Lineartronic® CVT
Drivetrain: Symmetrical All-Wheel Drive
Fuel Economy: 5MT: City/Hwy/Comb: 23/30/26 - CVT: City/Hwy/Comb: 25/33/28
Ground clearance: 8.7 in.
Wheels: 17 x 7.0-inch aluminum alloy
Front Suspension: MacPherson Strut
Rear Suspension: Double Wishbone
Passenger volume (cu. ft.) 97.5 (94.0 with moonroof)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
sticksandstones said:
was checking this out earlier. also saw that the crosstrek would have a 1500lb towing capacity.
Do you have a source for that?? I'm obviously a Suby fan but 1500 seems a lot for a N/A 4cylinder. A Jeep Wrangler only has a 2000lb tow capacity.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
atomic_subaru said:
sticksandstones said:
was checking this out earlier. also saw that the crosstrek would have a 1500lb towing capacity.
Do you have a source for that?? I'm obviously a Suby fan but 1500 seems a lot for a N/A 4cylinder. A Jeep Wrangler only has a 2000lb tow capacity.
here it is on subaru canada's website http://www.subaru.ca/WebPage.aspx?WebPageID=17232&WebSiteID=282

not sure if that's where i saw it before or not, but pretty reliable source i would guess
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
sticksandstones said:
atomic_subaru said:
sticksandstones said:
was checking this out earlier. also saw that the crosstrek would have a 1500lb towing capacity.
Do you have a source for that?? I'm obviously a Suby fan but 1500 seems a lot for a N/A 4cylinder. A Jeep Wrangler only has a 2000lb tow capacity.
here it is on subaru canada's website http://www.subaru.ca/WebPage.aspx?WebPageID=17232&WebSiteID=282

not sure if that's where i saw it before or not, but pretty reliable source i would guess
Thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
I wonder how easy it would be to do an OIL change in these things, considering its a Similar engine set up to the Impreza n the BRZ
with the oil filter up top ... Can it be so EASY even a novice like myself can do it ?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
70 Posts
mrzcai415 said:
I wonder how easy it would be to do an OIL change in these things, considering its a Similar engine set up to the Impreza n the BRZ
with the oil filter up top ... Can it be so EASY even a novice like myself can do it ?
i'm the first to admit i am not very mechanically savvy at ALL, but I have changed oil before and i can't imagine it to be too difficult in the new crosstrek. and hey, with 8.7" of ground clearance you may not even need ramps to get under there! :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
167 Posts
atomic_subaru said:
sticksandstones said:
atomic_subaru said:
sticksandstones said:
was checking this out earlier. also saw that the crosstrek would have a 1500lb towing capacity.
Do you have a source for that?? I'm obviously a Suby fan but 1500 seems a lot for a N/A 4cylinder. A Jeep Wrangler only has a 2000lb tow capacity.
here it is on subaru canada's website http://www.subaru.ca/WebPage.aspx?WebPageID=17232&WebSiteID=282

not sure if that's where i saw it before or not, but pretty reliable source i would guess
Thanks!
Fold flat like the Pontiac Vibe/Toyo Matrix or even Dodge Caravan. Really makes the car versatile.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
the rear seats do fold down to make a flat floor ,it's a 60/40 split seat so you can lay down one side or the other or both , very handy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,240 Posts
backpacker62 said:
the rear seats do fold down to make a flat floor ,it's a 60/40 split seat so you can lay down one side or the other or both , very handy.
That's good. It's amazing what I can get in my 2003 Outback Sport when I fold the seats down and the Crosstrek is only roomier!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,941 Posts
Well, here's my contribution.

Sources include:
Car and Driver at http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2013-subaru-xv-crosstrek-20i-test-review
Motorweek at http://www.motorweek.org/reviews/road_tests/2013_subaru_xv_crosstrek/
cars101.com at http://www.cars101.com/subaru/crosstrek/crosstrek2013.html
Subaru Digital Brochure at http://dbrochure.subaru.com/brochures/subaru.xv.crosstrek.2013/index.html?utm_source=com&utm_medium=cta&utm_campaign=rab
Subaru Global specs list (overseas models) at http://www.subaru-global.com/13xv_rr_spec.html
My own common sense and general knowledge about Subaru vehicles.

From Car and Driver, "2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek 2.0i - Instrumented Test"
5-speed manual tested
Zero to 60 mph: 8.1 sec
Rolling start, 5-60 mph: 9.8 sec
Standing ¼-mile: 16.5 sec @ 83 mph
Top speed (drag limited): 118 mph
Braking, 70-0 mph: 174 ft
Roadholding, 300-ft-dia skidpad: 0.81 g
Engine in the XV Crosstrek is the FB20, a DOHC timing chain (an improvement over the old EJ engine which used a timing belt) non-turbo engine with no known differences from the regular Impreza (most likely none).
Cooling system confirmed upgraded with a different radiator than the regular Impreza.

From Motorweek, "2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek Road Test"
Lineartronic CVT tested
Engine: 2.0-liter

Horsepower: 148

Torque: 145 lb-ft.

0-60 mph: 9.8 seconds

1/4 mile: 17.5 seconds @ 79 mph
Subaru Symmetrical AWD types:
As always manual uses Continuous AWD (50:50 F:R torque distribution), while the automatic option, the Lineartronic CVT, uses the Active AWD (60:40 F:R torque distribution). As far as I know, there may not be a viscous LSD (limited-slip differential) in the rear, although I would expect it to be standard.

All-Weather Package is standard in North America, as there is no official "base model" available here.

One odd fact is that even though the North American models are rated with a max towing capacity of 1500 lbs,
the lowest towing capacity of overseas models available is at 2645.55 lbs (equipped with the weakest engine, the FB16 and Lineartronic CVT), which is quite baffling,
as the FB20 overseas model (with a 6-speed manual instead, we don't get the 6-speed) can tow up to 3527.4 lbs.

Off-road specs include
Ground clearance: 8.7 inches
Angle of approach: 18 degrees
Breakover angle: 21.1 degrees
Angle of departure: 27.7 degrees
Fording depth: no official number, but most likely about the same as the ground clearance (8.7 inches) since Subarus tend to list the max wading depth just below the level of the undercarriage.

4 wheel anti-lock disc brakes, front vented, solid rear with brake pad return springs with EBD (Electronic Brake-force Distribution) and brake assist (applies max braking force if panic stop is detected).
Discs measured are:
front 11.6" ventilated disc
rear 10.8" solid disc


Differences between Impreza hatch and XV Crosstrek (plus speculation), the XV Crosstrek has:
* Increased ground clearance due to suspension changes (8.7 inches versus 5.7 for regular Impreza, 5.9 for Impreza Sport), also results in improved approach, departure, and breakover angles for off-road use.
* Stiffer front stabilizer bar (22 mm diameter for Impreza versus 24 mm diameter for XV Crosstrek)
* Larger wheels and tires (17 x 7.0 inch wheels for XV, Sport/Limited Impreza hatch use same-size, lower trim levels use smaller; 225/55R17 tires XV, 205/50R17 tires Sport/Limited Impreza hatch), results in improved overall ground clearance and ability to drive over obstacles.
* Shorter wheelbase (103.7 inches versus 104.1 for regular Impreza), results in improved breakover angle compared to simply lifting suspension (and possibly due to packaging concerns).
* Revised gear ratios (manual transmission final drive ratio is 4.444 versus 4.111 for regular Impreza, other ratios have been modified as well for the XV's manual transmission; Lineartronic CVT gets lower final drive ratio as well), to compensate for extra weight, and for heavy-duty uses such as towing.
* Plastic body cladding protects paint throughout various portions of the body for off-road use.
* Length, width, and height have all grown (175.2 inches for XV, 173.8 inches for hatch; 70.1 for XV, 68.5 for hatch; 63.6 inches for XV, 57.7 inches for hatch)
* Increased weight (XV is roughly 200 lbs heavier than regular Impreza counterpart)
* Larger fuel-tank (15.9 gallons for XV, 14.5 gallons for regular Impreza), likely done for increased weight and for the possibility of heavy-duty use (or should I say heavier use).
* Larger front brakes (XV F/R 11.6/10.8 inches, regular Impreza F/R 10.9/10.8 inches), confirmed WRX 2-pot front brake calipers, likely done for increased weight and for the possibility of heavy-duty use (or should I say heavier use).
* Marginally-less cargo space with seats up (22.3 cf XV, 22.4 cf Impreza hatch), I do not know how the XV has less.
* Slightly-larger cargo space with seats down (51.9 cf XV, 49.7 cf Impreza hatch), I do not know how the XV has more.
* Darker window tint (unknown tint values), results in improved privacy for changing clothes, especially useful for outdoor adventurers.
* Upgraded cooling system (uses 2007MY Subaru Forester radiator as confirmed on NASIOC)
* MY2014 have additional chassis bracing also used on SJ chassis Subaru Forester P/N 50866SG010 left, 50866SG000 right (STAY-REAR FRAME is absent from GJ/GP chassis Impreza but present on GP chassis XV Crosstrek and SJ chassis Forester)


Additional info on cooling system and chassis bracing found in post in thread here:
http://www.clubcrosstrek.com/forums/f12/2013-crosstrek-specifications-6-3.html#post1274
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
wow, that's a lot of info. in regards to the cooling system upgrade, wouldn't it have to be? I believe one of the reasons the subaru doesn't officially give Imprezas a tow rating is because their cooling system (and maybe brakes) can't handle the extra work.

i could be off on that though.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,941 Posts
PhilForce said:
wow, that's a lot of info. in regards to the cooling system upgrade, wouldn't it have to be? I believe one of the reasons the subaru doesn't officially give Imprezas a tow rating is because their cooling system (and maybe brakes) can't handle the extra work.

i could be off on that though.
It makes sense to upgrade the cooling and braking for towing purposes. But the difference in specifications (towing ratings) may mean the overseas models may have better cooling and/or braking systems since they have higher towing capacities than ours. It seems unlikely, but still possible.

And I am still awaiting Subaru of America's reply regarding all the changes from the Impreza hatch to the XV Crosstrek.
 
1 - 20 of 59 Posts
Top