Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else out there having starting issues?

My '13 Premium has 98,000 miles and has been having starting issues for maybe a year or so now.

Typically it turns over 3-4 times before firing up, but sometimes it will take 10 or more times or won't fire at all. However, if I disengage the ignition and try again immediately it always fires up the second try.

I've taken it to the dealership (100k warranty) but they of course couldn't replicate the issue. I have kept notes on fuel level, outside temp, amount of time car was sitting, level-ness of the parking surface, etc. and there doesn't seem to be any common thread. I also just switched to my spare key and had the issue again.

The dealership is stumped and so am I, so I figured I would try you all.

Thanks for the ideas.

·
Super Moderator
2,940 Posts
I have not had such an issue.

My 2014 has almost 104,000 miles so far, and though occasionally it will be hard-to-start, to my own surprise, the damn thing still turns over despite the harsh use the battery has withstood so far.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Damn, you put some miles on!

This issue has been going on for a bit over a year. Initially I suspected the battery and was so sure that was it I din't event have the battery tested before I replaced it. Dumb idea as the new battery has now been in place for a year and the issue continues.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I have intermittently had this problem in my 2013 (105k miles currently). I had a faulty fuel pump replaced (under warranty) at 60k miles and did not have the problem again...until this morning. Like you, there was no correlation with time sitting since last being driven or temp or anything...

·
Registered
4 Posts
115,000 on a '13 crosstrek and no starting issues. What the OP is saying sounds like an ignition switch issue to me. When you start, the switch cuts off all lights and accessories to divert power only to the starter and ignition. It sounds like it is intermittently cutting off the ignition part too. Don't know (but doubt) if the switch part can be cleaned or replaced separate from the key/lock but happy to hear if anyone else knows!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Possibly a leaking check valve in the fuel pump. First key cycle primes the line with fuel and second key cycle pressurizes it enough to start. Have them put a fuel pressure gauge on it and test for pressure after sitting. Also before and after first key cycle. The fuel pressure gauge should be on before shutting off the car and observed while the car sits waiting for the first key cycle test.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Anyone else out there having starting issues?

My '13 Premium has 98,000 miles and has been having starting issues for maybe a year or so now.

Typically it turns over 3-4 times before firing up, but sometimes it will take 10 or more times or won't fire at all. However, if I disengage the ignition and try again immediately it always fires up the second try.

I've taken it to the dealership (100k warranty) but they of course couldn't replicate the issue. I have kept notes on fuel level, outside temp, amount of time car was sitting, level-ness of the parking surface, etc. and there doesn't seem to be any common thread. I also just switched to my spare key and had the issue again.

The dealership is stumped and so am I, so I figured I would try you all.

Thanks for the ideas.
I have a 2015 with about 93K miles. I had starting issues, especially in cold weather. I checked the battery and it turns out that it wasn't a good battery (not long-lasting or high-quality). I replaced the battery with a stronger one and now my engine starts just fine. This may or may not be what's wrong, but it may be the battery power.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts