Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Total newbie here. I'm looking into installing towing components to be able to pull a small trailer. I'm seeing tons of information and discussion about hitch size, tongue weight, towing weight etc. From what I've gathered, the hitch requirement is 1.25", and to not exceed 1500lbs of weight (including trailer). What attachments would I need for the trailer itself? What size of wheel on the trailer is necessary? What does tongue weight mean? Should the axles be centered or offset on the trailer? My intended purpose is to periodically move (small scale) furniture, so dressers, tables, at least a queen size mattress/boxspring. Recommendations? Further information I may not be thinking of, or don't know that I don't know? 馃槉

Registered
Looks like you have good info so far. The 1500# max trailer weight refers to the whole thing- trailer, cargo and all. Tongue weight refers to the weight that the tongue of the trailer actually pushes down on the back of your car. I'm pretty sure you have a max. tongue weight of 200#.
So far, you need a receiver bolted under the back of the car. This will provide the square channel for you to plug in your actual hitch. You'll need a hitch ball that matches the size of the coupler on the trailer. You'll also need an electrical connector installed, so you can plug in the trailer lighting for stop/turn signals and tail/marker lights.
As far as the trailer goes, your best bet is a trailer that basically carries it's own weight, meaning a centered axle. Then it's very important to load it with the weight mostly over the axle, with just a smidgen more weight towards the front. Never put all the weight behind the axle. Negative tongue weight is a BAD thing. Here's a great youtube video to illustrate proper loading:
Hope this helps.
Another thing- Take your time learning how to back up with your trailer. It's tricky at first, but if you do it enough and take your time, you'll master it and be able to wow your friends with your mad driving backward skills.
Have fun
Bert

Registered
Here's an example of a receiver:

Here's the wiring harness I spoke of:

Here's what they call a ball mount:

A ball:

Or go with the euro look-

Just illustrations. Make sure all the parts would fit your car, and that they'll match up with your trailer.

Bert

Registered
I went with a 2" receiver from Torklift. Pluses are more ground clearance and totally hidden when not in use. Draw backs are harder to put the pin in when using and you have to watch the receiver length because of possible muffler interference. I'm happy with my decision. www.torkliftcentral.com

Registered
I installed a 2" from Etrailer. Pretty easy, just 4 bolts in the subframe did require drilling and installing trapped nuts.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts