Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Thank good for the warranty! Just before my 36k service I noticed a growling sound or what can also be described as angry bees in a can. The sound was clearly evident at low speeds. I had it in to the dealer and they too confirmed the noise. Scheduled to bring it back and by then the noise was getting louder and the shifts were not smooth, etc. They confirmed the worst and had to replace the whole unit.
There was bearing failure and it looks a lot similar from description mentioned in this youtube video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34hS9691L04
Although I can't confirm this bearing was the actual culprit.
So, if you start to hear this noise, it will not go away. she is destroying herself.
I was impressed by the dealership and they got me a rental car to use (5-days) while it was in the shop over the weekend. The whole CVT was replaced with a new one. They did not dink around trying to repair the faulty component. Also had the knowledge to know that the trans cooler, etc. needed to be flushed.
The service advisor told me that there is some concern at Subaru and the possibility of a recall soon to come that the CVT were not filled to capacity. All the more reason to adhere to the service intervals.
That is all, drive safe!

·
Premium Member
2,941 Posts
I appreciate you sharing with us your experience with your Subaru's CVT. Although failures are not exactly common, it's good to let other Crosstrek drivers know what are potential signs of a Lineartronic CVT automatic transmission failure.

Also, that's an impressive list of service you have there. Thank you for your service, this coming from a fellow servicemember :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
MPG improvement?

Hmm, ever since the new trans install the mpg is now a solid 30+ during my normal driving. Previously she sat around 28+, rarely, 29.
Related? could be.
:)Happy now!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Correction, 33mpg now. I have never seen this in day to day driving since owning the car.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well folks. Brought in the car for its 45k service. Forked over $500.
Get @5-miles down the road and this time, BOOM!!! Catastrophic failure.
Another CVT bites the dust. They suspect the diff bearing was messed up or something. They are going to put in another under warranty. WTF, how can I have confidence in this car brand. My first experience is not turning out as planned.

·
Premium Member
2,941 Posts
Your troubles are far outside the norm, as Subaru's Lineartronic CVT have considered to be quite reliable, especially compared to Nissan's JATCO CVT's.

At this point, considering that your 2nd CVT was installed by the dealership's technicians, I feel that they may be liable for improper installation of component(s) that may have caused or contributed to the 2nd CVT failure. But one must wait until their official diagnosis is formed.

·
Registered
297 Posts
^^^ I would agree. Now, another thought, and don't get upset with me, seriously, don't. Are you doing any kinda off-roading or rock crawling? Some folks here do this, but I think most of them have manual trans. Like i said, don't think that I'm "blaming you" or anything like that, it would just be good to know if say, "I hit the local 2 mile every day on the way home from work". I drive my CVT hard, and often. So it would be nice to know if they are that weak.

·
Registered
50 Posts
^^^ I would agree. Now, another thought, and don't get upset with me, seriously, don't. Are you doing any kinda off-roading or rock crawling? Some folks here do this, but I think most of them have manual trans. Like i said, don't think that I'm "blaming you" or anything like that, it would just be good to know if say, "I hit the local 2 mile every day on the way home from work". I drive my CVT hard, and often. So it would be nice to know if they are that weak.

They are weak. I plan on towing with mine and already talked to my dealer about getting a transmission cooler installed. They said good idea. As soon as this car needs a transmission I'm trading it in.

·
Premium Member
352 Posts

I use mine off road ALL THE TIME. 108k and the CVT was still going strong. Now, I needed a new front diff, but it's TBD if a very poor axle caused that failure or if the diff was already bad. At that time, I found a CVT with a front diff for $650 and that was my cheapest option to get me back on the road. I kept the stock trans and diff, and I'm going to rebuild the diff to have a spare unit again, just in case. But the CVT seems to actually be better off road for any kind of climbing or crawling, as it can transfer power to the wheels better in those situations. Where, the manual requires lots of pedal feathering to achieve the same results, meaning you blow through clutch plates and throw out bearings like your underwear (just ask AWDFreak...)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
352 Posts
They are weak. I plan on towing with mine and already talked to my dealer about getting a transmission cooler installed. They said good idea. As soon as this car needs a transmission I'm trading it in.

I'm not sure "weak" is the correct term for it. I think "underperforming" fits a little better.

My CVT seems to handle towing 1500lbs (sometimes more... I know, I'm a horrible person) at 55-60mph much better than unloaded at 80mph.

Where the "underperforming" thing comes into play is that this thing just has SO MANY failsafes to make sure that you DONT damage it, that it makes doing things like long uphill grades a chore, as a few minutes in, it begins limiting engine power to ensure the trans doesn't overheat.

I will be installing a trans cooler soon myself. Simply to avoid those engine power limiting situations. But if you are planning to trade in the moment it needs a transmission, I honestly believe you'll have this vehicle for a long time. I'm not saying that as a Subaru enthusiast, I'm saying that because I honestly believe that based on my own, current experiences. Keep good fluid in it, and you'll keep going for quite some time.

·
Premium Member
2,941 Posts
I use mine off road ALL THE TIME. 108k and the CVT was still going strong. Now, I needed a new front diff, but it's TBD if a very poor axle caused that failure or if the diff was already bad. At that time, I found a CVT with a front diff for $650 and that was my cheapest option to get me back on the road. I kept the stock trans and diff, and I'm going to rebuild the diff to have a spare unit again, just in case. But the CVT seems to actually be better off road for any kind of climbing or crawling, as it can transfer power to the wheels better in those situations. Where, the manual requires lots of pedal feathering to achieve the same results, meaning you blow through clutch plates and throw out bearings like your underwear (just ask AWDFreak...)

Can confirm, the single range manual clutch can only take so much:
Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet
http://i.imgur.com/YXWm3Ri.jpg

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet
http://i.imgur.com/3cMo0rV.jpg

·
Registered
58 Posts
When buying the 2019 Crosstrek, salesman said transmission sealed. No checking fluid. Less maintenance.
This means, have $6000 saved for a new transmission. Or use the $6000 for down money on a Toyota.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts