Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I brought my subie to a dealership to check on what could potentially be an onset of transmission slippage. They ran a diagnostic and concluded the lag is normal. What I am currently experiencing is a 3-second stall going from reverse to drive at cold start and a 1-2 second stall when the car is warmed up. Is this common for those of you who own a 2014? The car just peaked over 60k miles. Thank you for your feedback.

·
Registered
69 Posts
2014, Had a shifting solenoid failure, took it to a shop, when i got it back, the reverse lag was much less and the tranny shifted smoother. I talked to the shop and they mentioned they had updated the software. From what i've read, it sounds like subaru made some software changes to the shifting points and other functions in the transmission. BTW, get your transmission fluid changed when the warranty is over. Now i don't have that, little sinking feeling, when i back out onto the road, and wait for the gear change to engage.

I forgot to mention, i notice that lag in older subaru i was riding in, i don't remember now what model or year, but im guessing early 2000s, maybe late 90s

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a 2014 Crosstrek Hybrid with just under 50,000 miles. I purchased it new in 2014. It has always had this delay, you will get used to it and it will seem normal soon enough.

·
Registered
30 Posts
The trick is don't come to a stop and then shift from R to D.Shift to N while still moving to give R a chance to disengage.Then,if you time it right,when you shift to D it will take 1/2 to 1 second for D to engage and you will be on your way.Don't worry about hurting the CVT.I have been doing this for 5 years in my '16 and I haven't had any trouble with this car in any way,with anything.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello all, I brought my subie to a dealership to check on what could potentially be an onset of transmission slippage. They ran a diagnostic and concluded the lag is normal. What I am currently experiencing is a 3-second stall going from reverse to drive at cold start and a 1-2 second stall when the car is warmed up. Is this common for those of you who own a 2014? The car just peaked over 60k miles. Thank you for your feedback.
Yes, this is normal. This is done to protect the planetary gears used for the reverse and also to protect the steel belt

1 - 7 of 7 Posts