Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2018 Crosstrek will require 30,000 mile service this summer. Autonation Subaru wants $950-$1,350. Not covered by my Subaru extended warranty as it is classified as "maintenance". This is a little too rich for my blood. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Pull out your owner's manual and go to the maintenance schedule. You will see that there are NOT that many things that are "required"! Rather than making an appointment for a "30K" service .... just ask to have the the things that are required by the maintenance schedule .... which is basically oil change, brake fluid change (And this can probably be skipped. You can always pick up a cheap tester and check moisture content of the fluid.), and air filter (which you can easily do yourself). I have NEVER gone into a dealer and asked for "mileage" based scheduled maintenance. Normally, they would tack on a bunch of unnecessary stuff the "dealer" recommends. If you have the means to change your own oil .... I see no reason to even go in for this service. If you are worried about any warranty issues and feel you need to adhere to the "official" maintenance schedule .... just ask for those things listed in the schedule and decline any dealer recommend stuff.

·
Registered
66 Posts
If you have any basic mechanical ability: DIY. It's simple and you will learn lots about your Crosstrek. Plus you will know it was done and done correctly.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I've been using a come to your house service for maintenance, which costs less than the dealer, called 'Your Mechanic'. I'm just a customer. They use correct fluids and filters from the dealership, and it's alot easier. They'll come to your office too.
You can get a online quote.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Brake fluid should be changed every 3 years on any vehicle or at least tested for water. Engine air filter every 2nd or 3rd oil change. Or after a week of driving on dusty roads! If you are watching your fuel economy a dirty air filter will be evident by increasing consumption. I change my oil every 5k km, that’s twice as often as recommended, but you really can hear the difference in how the engine sounds. Normally I go from Sumer to winter tires throughout the year. I try to get them balanced when I put them on and
My dealer says the brake callipers need cleaning and if they do it and use anti seize they won’t need to do it again!
That’s it ! do they clean your leather with lexol as it needs maintenance more than anything else.
It is cheapest to run your brake system into the ground and replace pads and rotors as a set. Don’t get talked into resurfacing, they will just warp soon again! The area around the battery needs to be pressure washed because these battery’s are not sealed.
The coolant system isn’t entirely sealed either so top up to the line when cold.
Subaru OEM Super Coolant 1 Gallon - SOA868V9270

1 - 5 of 5 Posts