Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just an FYI for those looking to upgrade the interior lighting with aftermarket LEDs. As with previous generation Crosstrek owners here on this forum, Diode Dymamics is the only way to go!

I took a chance and pulled the trigger on interior lights: map, dome, license plate, and cargo area not knowing if they were compatible with the 2018. So all these bulbs are the same item numbers as the 2017. Understandably, they do not have the "Choose your vehicle" yet for the 2018.

You can select cool white or warm white, along with various colors if you're a Disco type!

I had ordered everything in cool white, which is stereotypical LED, but personally found that the map and dome were a bit to sterile for me. I called them up and asked if I could exchange part of my order with the warm white and they were MORE than accommodating. They said that they'd ship out the new ones along with a return shipping label (paid). Unbelievably gracious!!!

Would recommend this company to anyone. Crazy good customer service, Made in the USA, and for a fraction (less than 1/3rd) of the OEM Subaru LED upgrade.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wellllll, maybe it's just and American company. Apparently my staffers didn't fact check that.:eek:

·
Registered
3 Posts
I inquired about this just a couple days ago and they couldn’t provide me with any info but asked for photos of the bulbs.. Thanks for the info A-A-Ron!!
Btw which bulbs did you use on the plate?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The license plate is SMD2, which is the cool white. It seems to fit with the front headlight LEDs. If I didn't have the two tone leather interior, the cool white inside would look nice....it seemed to clash with the grey leather. But, obviously personal preference.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've been using Diode Dynamics going 3 years now, and their awesome...for my fog lamps, & interior lights etc for my 2013 XV. But this morning during my "A" service with Subaru Calgary with an added service check on my airbag since a message popped up "SRS airbag system needs to be checked" My Subaru Tech Rep mentioned that the LED lights I'm using affects the airbag system. It's been 3 years now since I started using LED lights, and it's weird that an LED light will affect airbags. Has anyone of you experienced this problem?

·
Registered
67 Posts
I've been using Diode Dynamics going 3 years now, and their awesome...for my fog lamps, & interior lights etc for my 2013 XV. But this morning during my "A" service with Subaru Calgary with an added service check on my airbag since a message popped up "SRS airbag system needs to be checked" My Subaru Tech Rep mentioned that the LED lights I'm using affects the airbag system. It's been 3 years now since I started using LED lights, and it's weird that an LED light will affect airbags. Has anyone of you experienced this problem?
Never heard of it. Perhaps the Diode Dynamics StartTap relay would fix it.
I would contact Diode Dynamics and speak to one of their technicians.

·
Registered
11 Posts
led interior lights

Yes, I know this is a crosstrek forum. I just wanted to relate the my car is an 06 acura tl. I put led bulbs in the interior, doors, backup bulbs, license plate lights. They've been in there for 12 years and I've never had any problems with them.

I'm thinking about putting them in my wife's new car (the crosstrek).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Are the Diode Dynamics LEDs brighter than the Subaru OEM LED interior bulbs/upgrade kit?

I had the Diode Dynamics on my last Crosstrek but I'm not sure if they were brighter.

I'd replaced the licence plate bulbs with LED's on my 2014 XV but at some point during a VA state inspection the technician was giving me hell about it (at the dealership). After some back and forth I just told them to put the original bulbs back in that I'd kept in the trunk.

Don't recall exactly what they said but I couldn't find anything online about LED plate lights being a reason for a vehicle to not pass inspection. Possible they were just trying to get me to spend some money. Know some of you don't have the headache of inspections but anyone know if there's any truth behind this?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey kidvolts, definitely contact Diode Dynamics or at least an other stealership or mechanic. I've been to that Subaru Calgary back when I had my 2010 Forester. I wouldn't trust them at all. I think they would upsell stuff that's not required during an oil change to their own mothers!!
Checkout Allmakes Auto Repair on 41 ave NE in Calgary. They're called "Allmakes" but they do like 90% Subaru business. My buddy brought his Legacy wagon there and they seemed way more reasonable. I had gotten rid of my Forester before I heard about them and I would have definitely chosen them over the dealership.

I don't live in Calgary anymore, I live near Toronto now.... waiting for my 18 limited with eyesight. Should be here soon.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Do not get the brightest bulb you can find for the map lights.
I did and I never used them cause it feel like staring in a 1000 suns.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
64 Posts
2018 interior light LED upgrade

... I'd replaced the licence plate bulbs with LED's on my 2014 XV but at some point during a VA state inspection the technician was giving me hell about it (at the dealership). After some back and forth I just told them to put the original bulbs back in that I'd kept in the trunk.

Don't recall exactly what they said but I couldn't find anything online about LED plate lights being a reason for a vehicle to not pass inspection. Possible they were just trying to get me to spend some money. Know some of you don't have the headache of inspections but anyone know if there's any truth behind this?
there may be a limit on license plate lights max brightness, to avoid blinding other drivers, but an honest shop would be able to es’plain that. you can also look it up.

·
Registered
64 Posts
i put led bulbs into my ‘16 crosstrek. the dome and map lights were easy, and i improvised a small cob panel for the trunk light.

3 years later, the cheap offshore bulbs needed replacing, but i’m still happy i swapped them. the leds cost next to nothing, provide better light, and draw less power.

i still can’t understand why they weren’t standard equipment.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts