Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 8K miles only getting about 23mpg according to the dash display in my 2019 Premium. Just returned from a 500 mile road trip with no change! Was getting 33mpg in my 2017 Limited on the highway and 24mpg around the city. Anyone know why the radical difference?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Are you hand calculating or going only by the "guess o meter"? I hand calculate all my tanks and sometimes the display will be close. All are logged on "Fuelly" and currently averaging 30.9 mpg combined hwy/city.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you hand calculating or going only by the "guess o meter"? I hand calculate all my tanks and sometimes the display will be close. All are logged on "Fuelly" and currently averaging 30.9 mpg combined hwy/city.

Thank you for this old school reminder...:). I will calculate manually for the next few tankfuls to confirm before complaining to the dealer - I had only been using the dash indicator...

·
Registered
43 Posts
As said, hand calculating, may make the difference.
I get 28/29 mpg on country back roads with my 2019.

To get bad mileage, brakes could be dragging.

Diameter (taller) of tires could be very different, if not rotated. Imagine for a moment that you fitted 12” wheels to the front of your Subaru and 28” wheels to the rear.

Turn off traction control on dry roads.

A centre differential problem, causing drag.

Just a few wild guesses.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thank you so much for the ideas!
Just returned from a 3,850 road trip over 4+ weeks in my used 2019 Crosstrek that I bought a month ago with 20,000 miles and 6 speed manual. About 2500 mi on Interstate I 75, the rest on 2 lane stop and go small towns plus city traffic. Total MPG was 31.5 by math and dash. It was really loaded with tools, clothes, gifts, big cooler with ice and more. With my wife and I inside also, I got weighed at Fl truck weigh station. Total weight with full tank of gas 3650 lbs.

I admit that I tend to use 5th and 6th gear probably too much. Also I did have a bit of lugging at 2,500 rpm in the mountains of Ky and Tn. Probably due to the weight and my shifting habits.

I bought this vehicle as a replacement for my 2004 Toyota Scion as my daily driver and a vehicle to tow behind my Class C Winnebago because it has a manual trans that can be put in neutral. Almost every mfgr says their vehicles are not approved for towing. Does any one have experience towing this model????

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just returned from a 3,850 road trip over 4+ weeks in my used 2019 Crosstrek that I bought a month ago with 20,000 miles and 6 speed manual. About 2500 mi on Interstate I 75, the rest on 2 lane stop and go small towns plus city traffic. Total MPG was 31.5 by math and dash. It was really loaded with tools, clothes, gifts, big cooler with ice and more. With my wife and I inside also, I got weighed at Fl truck weigh station. Total weight with full tank of gas 3650 lbs.

I admit that I tend to use 5th and 6th gear probably too much. Also I did have a bit of lugging at 2,500 rpm in the mountains of Ky and Tn. Probably due to the weight and my shifting habits.

I bought this vehicle as a replacement for my 2004 Toyota Scion as my daily driver and a vehicle to tow behind my Class C Winnebago because it has a manual trans that can be put in neutral. Almost every mfgr says their vehicles are not approved for towing. Does any one have experience towing this model????
I don't think it can be flat towed because there is no disconnect between the driveshafts and the transmission. What does the owners manual say??

You can also look here Which Vehicles Can Be Flat Towed?

·
Registered
7 Posts
My son just did a round trip to visit us, 450 miles total, much of it interstate, but plenty of backroads into the mountains. He averaged 31 on the computer. He drives a 2019 premium, 6-speed manual with 17,000 miles on it.

·
Registered
11 Posts

I tow my 2017 Premium with the 5speed behind my Beaver Coach without any problems.

On the gas mileage front my mileage is about two or three MPG less than what the dash meter says. When commuting I can get between 29 and 31 MPG in the summer. Less in the winter with snow tires.

·
Registered
34 Posts
What I learned through this exercise is that the Guess-O-Meter is typically about 1.5-2 mpg higher than my hand calcs. That being said, like most cars I have driven, if you baby the peddle, be mindful of when using cruise, etc, I can get it to the 32-33 range (hand), or 35ish on the dash. This is on a '19 ultimate with nearly 18000 miles. Still a far cry better than the 22mpg I was getting in the '09 Forester Premium.

·
Registered
41 Posts
After 8K miles only getting about 23mpg according to the dash display in my 2019 Premium. Just returned from a 500 mile road trip with no change! Was getting 33mpg in my 2017 Limited on the highway and 24mpg around the city. Anyone know why the radical difference?

Have an 18, and in the winter time going to work which is a 10 minute ride over a small mountain I see 17 mpg on the computer. I average 25 mpg in the summer with same trip. It isn't very good on hills because of the small engine. When I take it on trips, I get 33.

·
Registered
8 Posts
2019 Premium. Recently had 2 long trips. One was 6 hrs each way, with a trailer, pulling about 2k (yes, I know) and the other trip was just me & the dog 4 hrs each way. Both trips were 99% highway, and that highway didn't involve any mountains.

On the trip with the trailer, my mileage averaged just below 20 mpg. On the trip w/out it was 35 mpg. Both these are from the dash computer. In both, I used cruise control and kept my speeds between 60 - 70.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So I just hand-computed the milage on my last tank of gas - only 18.5mpg. The dash gauge said the average was 22. Ready to go to the dealer but what are they going to tell me? I was consistently getting 27 city/33 highway on my 2017 Crosstrek limited

·
Registered
8 Posts
O2 sensors can seriously mess up your fuel mileage. So, if they're faulty, that can be a problem.

My only other thing to consider if you were carrying a lot of gear on your trip. My experience being these things get bad mileage carrying/towing weight.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Went to the dealer to make a service appointment today. When I told the service writer my concerns about the MPG he tries to tell me "Well, those are only the advertised numbers...". I immediately asked to speak with the service department manager who arranged an appointment to check my car next week. Such an *******...smh

·
Registered
8 Posts
I find that I get better than the advertised numbers. So, yeah, that's BS from the dealer though not entirely unexpected, not all dealers are helpful.

·
Registered
43 Posts
If the CVT is slipping (if possible?), RPMs should be higher then normal, & use more gas, i would think? 2000 RPM= 60 MPH.?

The CVT should save gas. But you cant be in a hurry.

When starting out, keep the RPM's @ 2000. The Crosstecks speed will keep increasing . I am trying it now just for fun.

Avoid playing with the paddle shifter. 😁

1 - 20 of 23 Posts