Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today's Head Unit Question. We'll be (at some point) getting a Limited. We don't really need Nav. Wife listens primarily to talk radio on SXM. I love my music. Pretty eclectic taste, but want to be able to stream classical from Spotify Premium.

Don't really want to go aftermarket, if it means losing STARLNK. The Rockford Fosgate Upgrade lists for $502. The HK (with moonroof and NAV - neither a "must have") lists for $2,360.

My thinking has been - I want the moonroof, and the NAV would be nice to have. Not sure it's worth the ~$1,800 price difference.

If I go with the RF Upgrade (rather than the HK system), the $1,800 is close enough for me to add the STI Sport Wheels, Spoiler and Shift Knob package.

Thoughts on the 2 upgrades for a non-DIY;re.

TIA!

·
Registered
325 Posts
I bought mine nov 2017 and it came on the first boat to land in Vancouver from Japan. I bought it while it was still at sea. At that time the limited came pretty loaded. If you wanted leather along came Premium sound sun roof etc. It may still be the same.
Still I put the rear seat back protectors and 3 way auto dim mirrors on as xtra. The auto dimming mirrors are sublime. Rear bumper protector was added too.
The only thing I did’t get was the remote starter.
Don’t waste your money on Subaru floor mats, get husky mats.
The HK sound system is really nice with an excellent base. I believe the front doors to be self powered speakers with next generation “ice” amps.
The included pure satellite TomTom system is the only system that always knows which way the car is pointing and I have XM traffic for it.
That being said I usually use either TomTom go which has in my opinion the best traffic rerouting capability.
Or I use apple maps for its ease of integration with my iPhone, excellent lane guidance and graphics.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Too bad you can't get the "Sport" model like Canada has. Mine has Sunroof, Limited HU w/out Nav. Its like a mix between your "Premium" (touring for Canada), and Limited.

Other slight upgrades come with it too, like LED turning headlights, upgraded interior, etc.

Maybe you'll get that for 2020 versions?

·
Registered
325 Posts
Really I’m surprised that for the price the limited doesn’t come with everything.
The outback limited does and the premier edition almost does.
The Crosstrek is missing memory seats, power port in the rear, e brake, rear vents, rear USB ports. Should be called semi limited.

Canadian editions get no onstar or tire pressure sensors.
We cannot open our cars remotely via satellite with our phones and even though we can do XM traffic from satellite,We cannot do this.
It was stated that the American market is more competitive so Americans get more.

Subaru if you’re listening We Canadians are sick of this!

·
Registered
15 Posts
(Full disclosure I work at a Subaru dealership)

I have a Limited Crosstrek because I liked the LED Headlights and the bigger screen size.

The HK stereo system is great but I honestly have lately found myself preferring the RF one. It kind of depends on your listening preferences though. Since it sounds like you'll be spending some solid time listening to Classical, HK might be better, but RF can't be bad. I feel like the RF system is a little punchier.

The one weird quirk about the RF system is that when you turn the car off, the audio turns off as well. With any other system, it will keep playing for 3 minutes or until the drivers door opens which is great for finishing what you're listening to without idling the car.

With CarPlay and AA standard, who needs nav anymore? Unless you have a super limited data plan, just rely on that.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Software for your phone the ultimate upgrade for your CarPlay car? Get TomTom go

I Just survived a mass traffic indecent here in Toronto.

Had a chance to make a unique comparison between TomTom HK with XM traffic and Tom Tom go with cellular data traffic.

The TomTom XM did keep us on the collectors lanes, they never stopped.

I ignored the Tom Tom XM suggested exit what a mistake! After I got off the highway the XM traffic seemed a bit slow and we were stuck in traffic.

I switched to Tom Tom go. The difference in traffic avoidance rerouting was immediately evident. Tom Tom go was better at dynamically finding empty roads cutting straight through traffic. It has saved us in traffic twice very recently.
If you’re an a GPS app junkie and can afford the subscription TomTom go is worth a look.
Especially if you’re not getting built in GPS

·
Registered
74 Posts
We both use Google Maps (I on Android and other AstroKat on her iPhone). She much prefers it to Apple Maps and the traffic avoidance has been great since Google acquired Waze. It also works well up in the mountains with downloaded maps when we don't have a cellular signal. We have the HK/nav package but never use the car's nav.

·
Registered
31 Posts
We both use Google Maps (I on Android and other AstroKat on her iPhone). She much prefers it to Apple Maps and the traffic avoidance has been great since Google acquired Waze. It also works well up in the mountains with downloaded maps when we don't have a cellular signal. We have the HK/nav package but never use the car's nav.
Ever try WAZE? It's live update traffic, accident reporting, potholes, stopped cars on side of road, and even police traps. All things reported by other drivers on the road. The system is so popular now that Lincoln uses it as OEM on their HU's.

Free app. Check it out. :cool:

·
Registered
74 Posts
We've both tried Waze and like those features but it has some serious problems with routing in the Los Angeles area where we live. It will take you on a backstreet to save two minutes, then have you cross a busy four or six lane main road with no light...

·
Registered
325 Posts
Yesterday TomTom Go took me off the 401 highway at Paris and redirected me to the 403. It then took me on 427 N to burnamthorpe rd south east almost to home.
An interesting route that was almost as fast as if there was no traffic.
My wife using google maps arrived a whole 1/2 later.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Yesterday TomTom Go took me off the 401 highway at Paris and redirected me to the 403. It then took me on 427 N to burnamthorpe rd south east almost to home.
An interesting route that was almost as fast as if there was no traffic.
My wife using google maps arrived a whole 1/2 later.
My guess is that Google and Waze will catch up soon enough. There are a limited (and dwindling) number of people willing to pay for subscriptions to such services, let alone buy extra hardware that they have to mount in their cars.

·
Registered
325 Posts
It has its own maps and it chooses a route based on real time traffic flow patterns.
It runs beautifully with my iPhone XR
TomTom invented both traffic and 3D maps.

·
Registered
325 Posts
“ My guess is that Google and Waze will catch up soon enough. There are a limited (and dwindling) number of people willing to pay for subscriptions to such services, let alone buy extra hardware that they have to mount in their cars.”

why assume that because something is free it’s better?
I’m merely stating what’s superior, in my opinion.
In the last couple of weeks I owe TomTom hours of my life which it gave me back.
And yes I’m paying for it.
TomTom go is the

·
Registered
74 Posts
“ My guess is that Google and Waze will catch up soon enough. There are a limited (and dwindling) number of people willing to pay for subscriptions to such services, let alone buy extra hardware that they have to mount in their cars.”

why assume that because something is free it’s better?
I’m merely stating what’s superior, in my opinion.
In the last couple of weeks I owe TomTom hours of my life which it gave me back.
And yes I’m paying for it.
TomTom go is the
I didn't say that being free is better. You seem happy with Tom Tom and that's great. I would prefer not to have to buy and mount a separate piece of hardware when I can plug in my phone and have Google Maps on the 8" display in the car...

·
Registered
325 Posts
“I didn't say that being free is better. You seem happy with Tom Tom and that's great. I would prefer not to have to buy and mount a separate piece of hardware when I can plug in my phone and have Google Maps on the 8" display in the car...”

TomTom go is an iPhone app that supports car play so likewise all I have to do is plug in my phone to get TomTom go on the 8” display. It’s not a stand alone old school GPS.

·
Registered
74 Posts
“I didn't say that being free is better. You seem happy with Tom Tom and that's great. I would prefer not to have to buy and mount a separate piece of hardware when I can plug in my phone and have Google Maps on the 8" display in the car...”

TomTom go is an iPhone app that supports car play so likewise all I have to do is plug in my phone to get TomTom go on the 8” display. It’s not a stand alone old school GPS.
Got it - I thought you were referring to the stand alone units. I couldn't find it in the Play Store on my Pixel and when I Googled "tomtom go" they only had options for hardware: https://www.tomtom.com/en_us/drive/car/products/

If there's an app, it might be worth trying, to compare to Google Maps, etc.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I figured I would have to drive in to the dealer to get my '19 Limited NON-NAV HU updated till I started her up this morning to the HU asking me if I wanted to update.
started at 08:25... Finished at 08:30
I was at Rel_U1.18.38.50 Yesterday Evening.
Now I'm at Rel_UE.19.22.70

The Result:

Ty Hoeffer
Palmyra, VA

1 - 20 of 21 Posts