Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Bought a fully loaded Limited, with European VIN. Adaptive cruise control made it a pleasure to drive I-95's stop and go traffic from DC to Richmond. It acted just like the Outback, Forrester, etc, the first two days.

When it slowed to a stop behind the lead car, it would automatically stop, then hold the brakes on until the lead car started moving again, then follow the lead car up to speed. I never had to touch the brake, resume, ore gas pedal. The same way the oother subaru models do.

The next day, it was as if someone stole the hold part of the stop/hold/go.

What I'm wondering is this, is there something I might have done to kill the hold? Or did the manufacturer come in over wifi or starlink tto turn of that pin in the computer?

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have a 2019 Limited as well... what exactly is it doing when you say the hold part has been stolen? I haven't played too much with the adaptive cruise, because every time I had a chance for it to stop with a lead car, the lead car would get in the right lane to turn and I would have to stop the car myself.

I will do my best to go for a drive and see if I can duplicate your issue if you can tell me exactly what it is doing.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Joey, thanks for the reply.

I forgot to do the intro.
I've been a pro troubleshooter for over 45 years. Started with best time in the old Chrysler-Plymouth troubleshooting contest. Retired with highest scores in US for engineering, troubleshooting, and abstract concepts.

Back to the Limited:
The first one I test drove was the orange with grey leather. Sweet, but the orange was the same color as the local Youngstown Vindicator newspaper delivery trucks.

The american Crosstrek is programmed similar to european Crosstrek. One exception is the Adaptive cruise control. The euro version works exactly like the Ouback, Forrester, and Ascent's adaptive cruise system.

In the american and euro Crosstreks, and the ascent, once you get going down the road, you hit the adaptive cruise button, hit the set/resume switch to set the max speed you want, and then press the safe distance increase/decrease buttons to tell the eyesight system the distance you want it to keep between you and the car ahead of you (the lead car).

In the Euro Crosstrek, Outback, Forrester, and the Ascent, will follow the lead car as long as the eyesight system can keep locked onto the lead car. If the lead car slows down, they slow down. If the lead car stops, they stop. The Adaptive cruise control stays active in the Hold mode and keeps the brake on, the lead car locked into it's sights, and waits until the lead car starts moving again. Then follows the lead car up to speed. All you have to do is steer, stay awake, and cover the brake just in case.

This is where the american Crosstrek owner gets the shirt end of the stick.
It will follow the lead car to a stop. But after the speedometer gets to zero and the wheels stop turning for two seconds, the american Crosstrek is programmed by Subaru to automatically turn off the adaptive cruise control, release the brake, and set the americn Crosstrek free to coast forward to collide into the rear end of the lead car. It is much worse on an incline.

My 2019 Crosstrek Limited has a European VIN, and has the holes in the front bumper for a European license plate.

The first two days I owned it, the Adaptive cruise control worked exactly the same as the euro Crosstrek, Outback, Forrester, and Ascent, with the fully automatic Stop/Hold/and Go all enabled.

The third day the /Hold was disabled (stolen?), presumeably by the only entity who would have access to perform this feat. Subaru maybe? This made the car dangerous to drive, since they allowed me to get used to driving the fully automatic version.

Subaru brags about how they are the safest car on the road, with the fewest rear end collisions. So I am very confused as to why they would allow this aparently deliberate bug in the 2019 Crosstrek Limited to hit the road. Unless, of course, it is to get customers to buy an Outback, Forrester, or Ascent, which all have the fully functional automatic Stop/Hold/and Go program.

I guess it is a safety bug that Subaru feels we Americans don't deserve to have fixed, I'm not sure.

·
Registered
56 Posts
As I am sure you already know, my 2019 Limited does exactly as you have described after a test yesterday and sadly the Manual even stated it would do this as well.

How do you know yours is a Euro spec VIN? I ask because mine also has holes in the front bumper for none US Plates. Either way, I am not sure I would trust my car to stop from cruise on a daily drive. I don't mind it slowing down or speeding up a bit while on the interstate, but relying on it to stop me isn't something I am comfortable with. It is of course my first time ever using something like this.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.