Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi so I noticed my oil light was on on my way to work this morning. After work I walked to the nearest dollar general, luckily they had Mobil super synthetic 0w-20 and shop towels. I bought 2 quarts just in case. I checked and it looked like it was a quart low. No big deal other than the car has 15892 miles on it and the last oil change was 12901. Added a quart. Checked it and it looked like it was good. I get in the car and the light was still on. Proceed the tensist 15 mile drive ever. I get home let it sit for 5 minutes check the oil again and it's still good. Start the car lights off. Still going to be going to the dealership next week oil was looking pretty black. I know my dealership has overfilled me before. Would appreciate any thoughts or comments .

·
Super Moderator
807 Posts
I have not heard of any 2018 and newer Crosstreks having an oil consumption problem.

I would think/hope the dealer would have you do a consumption test. Let us know how everything goes once you take it in.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi so I noticed my oil light was on on my way to work this morning. After work I walked to the nearest dollar general, luckily they had Mobil super synthetic 0w-20 and shop towels. I bought 2 quarts just in case. I checked and it looked like it was a quart low. No big deal other than the car has 15892 miles on it and the last oil change was 12901. Added a quart. Checked it and it looked like it was good. I get in the car and the light was still on. Proceed the tensist 15 mile drive ever. I get home let it sit for 5 minutes check the oil again and it's still good. Start the car lights off. Still going to be going to the dealership next week oil was looking pretty black. I know my dealership has overfilled me before. Would appreciate any thoughts or comments .
Check there is not oil leak.
0w20 oil is very thin, but is ok if you are below freezing. Otherwise a ticker oil like 5w30 may be recommended.
Check plugs for trace of oil from combustion chambers. If you find oil there you can have a ring problem or too thin oil for ambient temperature.

·
Registered
334 Posts
The only thing I might offer.
I found on my wife's outback that after 6000 kilometres it starts to consume oil.
The Mobil 0-20 either gets broken down or is diluted, but after that it is somehow denatured and easily consumed.
It used virtually nothing before that. So if you are going the full 10000 km. Plan on topping it up after 6k.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Interesting. This happened with the 2018 Impreza I bought before my now 2019 crosstrek. My oil light went on at about 3,500 miles. I got excuses from the dealership. They had to fill it with oil. Then the light kept coming on about once a month after that. It was a nightmare. It was sucking up so much oil. They did an oil consumption test and at one point overfilled it. No bueno. I was pissed. Had them start over. Then at one point down the road they said there was a recalled (they used a different word though) part that they said would fix it. It didn’t, which I had suspected wouldn’t. After the 4th time the oil light came on I was over it. I was stuck in a city about 3 hours away and they told me to tow it in if it happened again. Well it was a holiday weekend and Subaru wasn’t avail to tow from 3 hours away, so I had to drive it home with no oil. Had my dogs and a friend in the car and I was stressed. I wasn’t about to touch it though because I knew the dealership had already screwed with my car. I didn’t want to tamper with it in any way. Anyway, I hired a lemon law lawyer and finally after 8 months of having that screwed up brand new car, Subaru agreed to buy it back. It was awful. Then found it about all the lawsuits a while back re: oil consumption. So far my crosstrek has been fine and I have 24k miles on it. Only think that’s been weird was the clutch needed to be replaced at 13k after I felt something starting to happen at 9k. I have never in my life ever had to replace a clutch and I had a Toyota truck for 19+ years and that clutch was still working just fine.

·
Registered
35 Posts
My 2019 Crosstrek came new with the dip stick showing it was over filled with oil.
Wifes 2017 Forester has been over filled with oil from every dealer oil change, so far.

This may be an attempt to hide high oil consumption?? Over filling?

Have not added oil between 6000 mile oil changes on Forester.
Crosstrek to new for an oil change. Only 1200 miles so far.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Our XV ‘16 has not seen any lose of motor oil, very few miles, although we have had it since new.
Oil always over fill from dealer, we warm it until blue signal of cold engine turns off since new.
Dealer uses 5w30 oil only.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Just wanted to say that the new crosstreks use 5 us quarts of oil.
4.73 litres.
There is jug size that has exactly that in it!
I think when people are seeing over full oil it’s when people put in the whole 5 litres, which in my opinion is no big deal.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The only vehicle I owned that lose oil was a Jeep Liberty after 6000 miles of oil changed. Using Mobil syn 5w50 and being 80k miles old. And that was in 2008 or so.
Car makers are using all that is at hand to improve gas saving, that includes thin oil. If our commutes are very long oil suffers so it degrades. Through piston rings and as fumes in the combustion chamber is were our thin and hot oil goes.

·
Registered
9 Posts
In tropical Mexico dealers use 5w30. Knowing the new use of motor oil in variable valving I want to use thiner oil but dealers don’t recommend it. On the other hand using a thicker oil can damage those new variable valve systems.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Welcome to what it’s like to own a 2013.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Did the oil change on both Subaru’s today. Took a scenic drive with a touch of reving to stir and fully warm the old oil with both.
On the outback It ended up overfilled by a tenth of litre. But the stick showed more like half a litre initially. I had done a final top up but failed to run the engine . I confirmed this after sitting the car for an hour. The 5 USquart jug+ .3 litres = perfection on the 2019 outback.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I forgot neither of these cars use a drop of oil.
the oil on the crosstrek gets changed every 4 thousand kilometres and the outback gets it every 5.
Because of over maintenance wear and tear on these engines becomes minimal.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts